Present:
John Dash
Clare Groom
David Fowler
Douglas Carnall
Nick Hutt
Patrick Field
Lucy Thomas
Katie Trent
Tina
Claire Tansley
Peter Lewis

Topics discussed:
1. Report on M11 Link Road Meeting
2. Stoke Newington Church Street Festival
3. Hackney Show
4. Bike Week
5. Dr Bike at Stoke Newington School
6. LCC 3-year strategy
7. Seven Sisters Road
8. Salsa suggestion
9. M11 Link Road exhibition

1. Report on M11 Link Road Meeting

Douglas reported on a recent public meeting which discussed the impending opening of the M11 Link Road. Hackney Council’s traffic and transportation officers pointed to their efforts to mitigate the worst of the road’s effects on vulnerable areas of the borough, such as the Clapton Park area. Douglas noted that there was broad unity of opinion against the new road and the expected increase in through motor traffic, but that some councillors were focusing on the ‘Chingford Commuter’ to the exclusion of the internal problem, i.e. motorised trips made by residents of Hackney within Hackney – such as the journeys home of many of those who had attended the meeting.

Back to the top

2. Stoke Newington Church Street Festival

N16 will be buzzing with cycling-related activity on 6th June. Both Bikefix and Simon Bannister’s accessible cycling project will be representing in Summerhouse Road, N16. We discussed ideas for providing cycle parking, which the festival organisers had suggested could be at either end of the street. We decided that we would probably not be able to muster large numbers of people to steward bike parks, but that we would like to repeat the presence we had last year at the west end of Church Street near Clissold Crescent, including a parking area, especially if we can bring the Micro Sound System down again. If anyone would like to take a turn on a stall, let Trevor know.

Douglas repeated his desire for some kind of a test-your-cycling-strength equipment, to make the LCC stall a bit more dynamic. Katie said that The Rubbish Dump in Clapton had something along those lines in their permanent exhibition, which might be borrowable. Anyway, Patrick and Douglas agreed to work on this.

Back to the top

3. Hackney Show

Claire said that the Show was planned for the 14th August this year – somewhat later than usual – and that she was on the case to make arrangements for an LCC presence.

Back to the top

4. Bike Week

Breakfast

We discussed plans to repeat our cyclists’ breakfast, which was such a success last year. Liam Mulrooney had asked whether it might be possible to run this in with a scaled-down one-day version of Project Modal Shift, but we thought that although this would be nice, it would be difficult and time-consuming for volunteer effort to arrange. Trevor wondered whether this might be a good opportunity to push on the idea of a Bicycle User Group for Hackney Council employees. We decided to try to invite as many potential BUG members to the breakfast, with the intention of having an informal chat about the idea and then maybe having a more formal meeting to discuss it towards the end of the summer.

Trevor said he would again seek the sponsorship of Hackney Wholefoods for the breakfast, and maybe see if London Fields Cycles would like to be involved in some way too.

Claire suggested that we should spend some of our funds on a gazebo to provide shelter in case of inclement weather at this and other similar events. We all enjoyed discussing the merits of various models of gazebo, and allotted a generous budget for Claire to spend.

Biking the bounds

Friday 18th June is going to be a busy day, because Claire is helping to organise another Bike The Bounds – a ride around the whole length of the borough boundary. The meeting point is provisionally 5pm at Hackney Town Hall, with a pick-up in the south of the borough to be confirmed, so as to suit workies coming from that end of town.

Richmond Park ride

On June 13th there is going to be a mass ride through Richmond Park to bring attention to the positive benefits that would come from excluding motor traffic from the park. There will be a feeder ride going from our neck of the woods. Depart from the Pub on the Park.

Back to the top

5. Dr Bike at Stoke Newington School

LCC member Sara Mort had inquired whether anyone would be able to do a Doctor Bike at Stoke Newington School’s open day on the 3rd July. David nobly said he would do it.

Back to the top

6. LCC three-year strategy

We were pleased to welcome to the meeting the new Director of the LCC, Peter Lewis. We briefly talked about the development of a three-year strategy, which came out of the LCC/CTC affair. Douglas has directed comments and suggestions into this process, and Trevor recommended the promotion of our proposed Permeability Project as an useful objective over that time period. There is a meeting on 22nd May to discuss the strategy. LCC members who would like to attend are welcome, but they should contact the LCC office (0171-928 7200) to confirm their attendance.

Back to the top

7. Seven Sisters Road

We took a few seconds to luxuriate in a warm glow of contentment about the outcome of the Red Route plans for Seven Sisters Road. Read all about it in the current Cycling in Hackney News.

Back to the top

8. Salsa suggestion

Tom delighted us all by offering to look into promoting another Hackney LCC social/fundraising event, this time a salsa evening. He has observed that a lot of salsa peeps are also cyclists. This one sounds as if it has a lot going for it!

Back to the top

9. M11 Link Road exhibition

Claire reported that an exhibition is being planned of memorabilia of the struggles against the detested M11 Link Road. If you have anything to contribute to this, contact Adrian Stannard on 0171-778 4034.