Hackney LCC meeting 6th December 2000

Venue: Pub on the Park, London E8

Present:

Jackie Anderson, Patrick Field, David Fowler, Paul Golding, Clare Groom, Sally Haywill, Paul Lay, Oliver Schick.

Apologies:

Tim Evans

Topics discussed:

1. Look Both Ways

2. Family Fun Ride

3. Survey

4. Organisation/Borough Co-ordinator/Publicity/Aims

5. Grant budget/spending ideas

6. Junctions

7. Future events

8. Any other business

1. Look Both Ways

Patrick reported from the Look Both Ways event in Shoreditch (organised by Trevor) on December 1st and said it was very successful. There were events at the Town Hall attended by about 50 people (including Meg Hillier, Jenny Jones and Eric Ollerenshaw of the GLA), pedicabs circling the gyratory, and the main event, the symbolic crossing of Shoreditch High Street across a specially commissioned zebra where a pedestrian died last year. Trevor was interviewed by GLR, and there was media presence from the Hackney Gazette, Islington Gazette, and East London Advertiser. The budget of £1,200 was overrun by £300 to £1,500, but more money was expected from the Shoreditch New Deal.

Back to the top

2. Family Fun Ride

Patrick reported back from the Family Fun Ride and said there had been just enough people for it not to be embarrassing. A good time was had by riding up to the Boat Club at Springfield. We discussed the concept of the fun rides and thought that there was a problem about their ‘branding’, as it is easier to get people out for ideological reasons than just a social ride. Someone will be needed to be there for the next one in December.

Back to the top

3. Survey

42 survey forms had been returned by the time of the meeting, and Clare volunteered to evaluate the data and bring the results along to the next meeting. Oliver will send a notice about returning the surveys to the London Cyclist. At the next meeting, we will think about getting back to people who completed the survey. Sally suggested that cyclists’ routes be collected to be shared from a common database, to make it easier for novice cyclists to find their way. Getting people’s routes might be one aim of a ringaround. The data collected might be useful as a lobbying tool.

We looked at the survey produced by Southwark Cyclists and Patrick will ask Quil Forbes of www.cyclemaps.com how much a Hackney map similar in style to that used by Southwark on their survey would be. Patrick thought that he might be interested in feedback about cycle maps (what people would like as features of them).

Back to the top

4. Organisation/Borough Co-ordinator/Publicity/Aims

It was decided to find a new borough co-ordinator through advertising the vacant post in the London Cyclist, when ringing people about the survey, and to make an announcement at Burns Night. Sally volunteered to help Douglas with organising Burns Night. We discussed the role of the co-ordinator and agreed that the job would be tolerably smaller with the assistance of a separate membership secretary.

Back to the top

5. Grant budget/spending ideas

Clare reported that there were £1,700 in our account and we thought of ways of spending some of the money. Ideas included:

  • A sign for visibility at street appearances;
  • A mobile stall for the same, possibly as trailer; Brox/Baby Brox too expensive. The problem would be where to garage the trailer; Dave has a basement room, Patrick knows someone with a garage. The minimum cost would be £500.
  • A leaflet stating our aims, like the one produced by ICAG;
  • A map A-Z style, as mentioned above;

Back to the top

6. Junctions

Oliver reported back from the progress of the Junctions Campaign. The next borough contacts mailing is just about to go out, with detailed guidelines on how to evaluate cycle count data and how to conduct a survey of cyclists. An evening count at Shacklewell Lane/St Mark’s Rise will be carried out early next year by Paul Golding and Oliver, and anyone else who’s interested; details to go out to the mailing list closer to the time. Oliver also reported that Gavin Killip of Islington has been lent some click counters by Islington Council that enable counting of all modes of traffic, and not just cyclists, allowing for more reliable data. However, at the moment it does not look as if we will be able to organise something like this, as many people are needed; at least 6 for SL/SMR.

Back to the top

7. Future events

The Family Fun Rides are set to continue, and Burns night needs to be organised (see above).

Back to the top

Next Meeting: Wednesday, 3rd January 2001, Pub on the Park, 8:00 pm