Venue: Pub on the Park, London E8

Present:
Oliver Schick, Trevor Parsons, Sally Haywill, Katie Hanson, Marian Farrugia, Clare Groom, Dave Fowler, Lucy Thomas, Roger Blake, Patrick Field

Topics discussed:
1. Reports
2. European Car Free Day
3. London Bus Initiative
4. LBH draft cultural strategy
5. Congestion charging
6. Membership survey report
7. Hackney Summer Festival
8. Stoke Newington South, modal filtering scheme
9. Any other business

1. Reports

Memberships
Congratulations to all. During August LCC membership in Hackney increased by 56. This means that all the hard slog put into stalls and festivals has paid off. This is set against 43 lapses with their membership payment during the same period – ie a net gain. Lapses might be due to several factors including the fact that many people are not around in August and might forget to pay etc. People suggested that LCC should try to improve its credit card and on-line payment facilities.

Training in schools
Congratulations to Sally who has managed to get £1400 funding for a “children and parent/carer cycle training and bike maintenance” project at St. Thomas Abney School N16.

Back to the top

2. European Car Free Day

This event will see Curtain Road motor-free from 8am to 8pm, and we have applied for a music licence from 10am to 7pm.

The short stretch of Rivington Street between Curtain Road and Charlotte Road will also be closed to motor traffic, and will be so till midnight! (Soon this section is likely to be motor-free permanently, at least at certain times of day.)

Leaflets and other publicity items. Trevor produced the sponsorship leaflet, which is available here. He will soon have general publicity – flyers and posters – prepared. Volunteers are needed for wider distribution around the area: Call Trevor on 020 7729 2273 for more information, or email him.

News release will be sent out on Thursday 13th, to the Hackney Gazette and elsewhere.

Stewarding The music (and dancing!) licence obliges us to adhere to certain health and safety conditions, one of which is stewarding. We need 10 stewards in-situ all the time, which means about 30 volunteers for the day. Oliver will co-ordinate. If you’re able to help us out for four hours or more on the day, please do come and be a steward! Email Oliver. To encourage you, we’re sorting out a generous amount of free grub for stewards on the day.

We decided to arrange three shifts of four hours, with stewards to be briefed at the beginning of their shift. We will communicate by mobiles (possibly walkie-talkies, if the budget runs to it), although it’s OK to have one mobile per section of the motor-free area, rather than one for each steward.

First aid
The licence requires us to have two qualified first-aiders. Lucy to co-ordinate.

Emergency lighting
The licence also appears to demand that we have emergency independent lights available to cover the last hour or so of the event, as we move into dusk (sunset is at 6.57pm that day). We’re fairly sure this would be prohibitively expensive. We will negotiate with the licensing authority / building control department, and if necessary we will stop the event early.
[Addendum: Trevor has ascertained that Curtain Road is served by two separate electricity substations, one north of Rivington Street and one south of it. It would therefore be very unlikely that an outage would cover more than half of the street. This may be a useful argument for us.]

Our stall
The Hackney LCC stall will be the HQ and general info-centre. We will have 300 free bus saver tickets from London Buses to give away on the day. Lucy will co-ordinate the stall.

Trade stalls
We can make stalls available for traders, although time is now tight for letting interested parties know. Lucy volunteered to co-ordinate this if we feel it’s viable to go ahead.

Further tasks
A large amount of work which will obviously build up as the date gets nearer, so people should feel free to contact Trevor to check
if he needs any help.

Budget
Meeting decided to allocate £400 maximum out of our budget towards the event.

Back to the top

3. London Bus Initiative

Roger presented the Bus 149 consultation document. This is just one of several consultation documents for various bus routes, which Hackney Council is currently conducting. Documents can be obtained from the One Stop Shop at the Town Hall, and from libraries.

We agreed that Oliver will co-ordinate our responses by email. People are also encouraged to respond directly as individuals. Deadline early October.

Back to the top

4. LBH draft cultural strategy

Hackney Council has circulated a draft cultural strategy document, which considers culture in a very broad sense. Cycling is mentioned in various contexts, especially to do with health and leisure, and in discussion of the built environment, but Oliver’s feeling was that there is scope for including it more centrally in the strategy.

People felt strongly that the idea of fostering a cycling culture should constitute an important part of the vision underpinning this strategy.

Oliver volunteered to draft a detailed response, based on members’ suggestions, then distribute on our mailing list for comments before the final version is sent out.

Back to the top

5. Congestion charging

LCC as an organisation has a position supporting congestion charging – indeed, suggesting that it be more strictly implemented than the current proposals, eg higher charges, no exemption for powered two-wheelers.

We agreed that because of this, and because there is actually a distinct lack of consensus around this issue within the Hackney membership, the group would not express an opinion.
Members, however, are encouraged to send their individual suggestions to Transport for London by email or by post to:
Transport for London
Congestion Scheme Order consultation
Freepost LON17507
London SW1H OYZ

Back to the top

6. Membership survey report

Oliver presented the results of the survey, which were tabulated with Clare’s help. Details of the findings will be posted on this site ASAP.

People agreed that besides learning a lot about cycling behaviour and practice, we also gained a lot of know how about the consultation process itself which will prove invaluable if we where to decide to conduct any other data collection in the future. Certainly one thing that we learnt that before undertaking a similar exercise we need to be very clear why we are doing and what we will be using the information for, from the start. We also need to look at issues of audience, register, content and format.

Back to the top

7. Hackney Summer Festival

Hackney Summer Festival will be held on Sun 16th. Sept at London Fields.

We agreed not to have a stall at this festival since it will only be one week prior to the Car Free Day. Clare might distribute some flyers.

Back to the top

8. Stoke Newington South, modal filtering scheme

Roger presented plans for new traffic calming plans for this area, with lots of mode filters (AKA road blocks) to filter out through motor traffic, as has been done for many years down the road in the De Beauvoir area (N1). As far as we are concerned this is a Good Thing, and we should support it as much as possible.

Clare was mandated to draft group response and show it to members for comment before sending it out. Members who live locally were also encouraged to response individually.

Back to the top

9. Any other business

Patrick encouraged members to attend the City LCC group meeting on Thursday 6/9/01, at LCC HQ. 6pm.

Back to the top

Next Meeting: Wednesday 3rd October, Pub on the Park, London Fields, 8:00 pm (social get together from 7:00 pm)

Back to the meetings index