Hackney LCC meeting 3rd October 2001

Venue: Pub on the Park, London E8

Present:
Roger Blake, Ross Corben, Tim Evans (chair), Patrick Field, Sally Haywill, Miles Hubbard, Helen McEwan, Fiona McEwan, Trevor Parsons, Brenda Puech, Oliver Schick (minutes), Lucy Thomas.

Apologies:
Paul Golding

Topics discussed:
1. Car-Free Day
2. Crime and Disorder Strategy
3. London Bus Initiative
4. Finsbury Park
5. Branding
6. AGM/Constitution/Elections
7. Burns Night
8. Any other business

1. Car-Free Day

All agreed that Car-Free Day had been a huge success. There was favourable photographic press coverage in both the Hackney Gazette and Hackney Today. The preliminary estimate of the cost to LCCiH (prepared by Brenda) was around £900, £500 more than planned, but Trevor said support monies might still be coming in from traders in the area who had benefited from CFD. A thank you for Trevor was recorded in the minutes for taking the lead in organising the day and doing a brilliant job. Debriefing issues raised were the vulnerability of the southern modal filter, that the road signage was insufficient, giving pedestrians and cyclists the impression that the road was closed to them as well as to cars, that car parking in the area should have been removed before the event, and that stewards should have been briefed better on the area layout.

For the next time, it was suggested to advertise a later start and to put out more and earlier publicity (impossible this year owing to late confirmation that the road was available and lack of support from Hackney council). We should also network more widely with other interest groups, but it was stressed that it is still ‘our’ event and we could again organise it ourselves, perhaps with a small grant from the council. Non-high streets should be approached for interest. Money might be solicited from funds available to help celebrate the Queen’s Jubilee next year with a street party, or be available in the shape of a mini lottery grant. It was also said that we needed a commitment for next year, and we might start on this by having a de-briefing with the council.

A working group of Brenda, Patrick, Trevor and Oliver will come back to the next meeting with a plan of action.

Back to the top

2. Crime and Disorder Strategy

Lucy has spoken to Jan Jenkins, who is working on the Strategy. Jan thinks that speeding enforcement should be classed under anti-social behaviour. Roger said that speeding enforcement does not belong in road safety, as speeding and jumping red lights are criminal offences. Patrick said that the idea needs to be challenged that there is a point in speeding. Without speeding, network capacity would be increased. Brenda said we should make a point about use of language. It was also mentioned that police action about cycle theft and getting ‘bobbies on bikes’ were priorities for the Crime and Disorder Strategy.

Lucy and Tim will take this forward.

Back to the top

3. London Bus Initiative

Roger briefed us on the different phases of the LBI, and where substantive measures were planned. Even though the first phase of the LBI included six routes through Hackney, it was really only for three of them (38, 55, 149) that substantive measures would be implemented. For the 29 and 279, the improvements inside Hackney were limited to a wider bus lane along Seven Sisters Road between Manor House and Finsbury Park, and the 47 travelled through Hackney only in the Shoreditch gyratory.

Phase II will include another five routes—the 30, 35, 78, 253, and 277. The 35 and 78, like the 47, only run through Hackney in Shoreditch. The 30 and 277 would require measures east of Mare Street, in the Well Street/Lauriston Road, Morning Lane and Hackney Wick areas. The 277 was a flagship project that to some extent doubles up with the measures for the 38 and 55, but would require its own improvements in the north of borough, i.e., Upper Clapton Road, Stamford Hill, Amhurst Park.

Issues for the LCCiH were the hours of operation and width of bus lanes, bus driver training, bus lane enforcement, the road surface, as well as ASLs and feeder lanes.

There was a possibility of an improved crossing between Churchwell Path and Clapton Square. Some sections of the proposals for the 149 and 55/38 were still to come, notably the Hackney Road section and the sections from Stamford Road up to Stamford Hill.

Trevor, Brenda, Miles, and Oliver to take the LCCiH’s consultation response forward.

Back to the top

4. Finsbury Park

ICAG and Haringey LCC have asked for help with a cycle traffic count at Finsbury Park, where there are plans for improvements to Station Place that unfortunately so far include excluding cyclists from it. Roger suggested that the bit that should be kept open for bikes should be the public highway bit rather than the bus area that is controlled by Railtrack.

Katie Hanson has expressed an interest in working on the area and will be approached to act as a link person with Islington and Haringey.

Back to the top

5. Branding

Again on the subject of the various inconsistent names floating around for the group (LCC (in/for) Hackney, Hackney Cyclists, Hackney Cyclists—LCC in Hackney, it was decided to adjourn the matter to the AGM.

Back to the top

6. AGM/Constitution/Elections

It was decided that the December meeting of each year should be the AGM, with the constitution and the election of the new committee as agenda items. This would enable the new committee to start work on the 1st of January of the following year, so that each committee would be voted in for one calendar year. This time, however, the AGM would be in February 2002 to allow enough time for sending out a mailing to members. Sally expressed interest in drafting a mission statement for the group.

Back to the top

7. Burns Night

Burns Night will be on Saturday, the 26th January. Sally would like to organise it, but needs help. Trevor will put a notice calling for volunteers in the newsletter. Sally also wants to move to a larger venue—St Thomas Abney school, to which she has good connections, and which would be cheaper than the Boat Club.

Back to the top

8. Any Other Business

Sally reported that the cycle training at St Thomas Abney school was going very well. She also asked whether someone might be able to take pictures of the training. If you can help, contact her on 020 8802 4604.

Sally asked about publicity. There are still many leaflets in the stall stock, complete with about 200 LCCiH stickers.

Ross asked whether the group would pay the Hackney City Farm money for use of their facilities for the workshop. Brenda will contact the City Farm about this.

Brenda was also going to pay for the meeting room at the Pub on the Park six months in advance.

Back to the top

Next Meeting: Wednesday, 7th November 2001, Pub on the Park, 8:00 pm