Hackney LCC meeting 2nd July 2003

Venue: Pub on the Park, Wednesday, 2nd July 2003

Present: Tim Evans, Oliver Schick, Trevor Parsons, David Fowler, Sally Haywill, Brenda Puech

Apologies: Patrick Field, Katie Hanson, Richard Lewis

Agenda:
1. School cycle training funding success
2. Festivals
3. Lea Bridge roundabout plans
4. Residential cycle parking
5. Windus Streets for People Project
6. Bike Week
7. LCN+
8. Cycle workshop
9. Car Free Day
10. Stratford City Scheme

1. School Cycle Training funding success
It was reported that nearly £50,000 had been granted for 5 projects for cycling initiatives in Hackney, by Dept of Transport Cycle Project Fund for this year. They include 4 on-road cycle training projects in schools. Unfortunately, STA bikes did not get any funding. It needs £18K per annum to operate at full capacity. Other sources for funding were discussed including applying for health related funding from Woodbery Down, and applying for TFL funding through the Borough Spending Plan, or through the Transport Sub Partnership. Sally to talk to Steve Walker and Vincent Stops about this. Brenda to talk to Bob Davis, Ealing Cycling Officer about possible assistance.

2. Festivals
Oliver reported volunteers were needed for stalls the following festivals:

Abney Park 6th July 2003
Finfest 13th July 2003

3. Lea Bridge Roundabout plans
Tim reported on a meeting he attended of the Clapton Pond Neighbourhood Action Group (30-40 people), which was in connection with TFL plans to locate a bus stop in the centre of the roundabout. A TFL engineer addressed the meeting to explain the plans. However, the group remained unconvinced of the benefits of this plan, as they want to revert the roundabout to cross-roads, and this new initiative would delay/ obstruct those plans. Tim to alert Hackney members that community initiative is building up around this issue

4. Residential cycle parking
Trevor reported that he is working with Dave Holliday to write a proposal in time for the next TSP meeting on Monday. This will be a feasibility study on the needs/ space availability and would pick 2 estates for a pilot project. There is a possible £20K allocation by the Good Place to Live GPTL partnership, for which bullet points had already been submitted by Oliver. Oliver and Trevor to report back.

5. Windus Streets for People Project
Dave Fowler reported on meeting held re this Home Zone scheme for which £500K has been received from TFL. As Dave will be leaving London soon, an alternative cycle representative is needed. Tim would check membership records for potential members in the area.

6. Bike Week
Oliver had led 2 rides – one feeder tide to the Midsommer Madness ride and one Bike the Bounds ride. He suggested that Hackney should do more social rides to attract and build up membership and activists.

Both other Hackney events – the Chill Down event in Clissold Park and the Bike Breakfast in London Field were well attended and attracted new members.

7. LCN+
Oliver and Trevor reported on the meeting they had with Anthony Odih to discuss the allocation of £35K for this year. Anthony has also applied for a further £200K for cycle schemes starting in the south of the borough in Shoreditch and then working up northwards. At the end of discussions, it was agreed that Paul St would be reverted to 2 way functioning rather than a segregated counterflow. However, the pavement build out to accommodate the artwork Hitchcock’s Reel would complicate plans and would need to be addressed. It was agreed to persuade LBH to adopt a more an integrated approach to cycle planning.

Trevor and Oliver to attend meeting with Steve Walker, Tom McCourt and Vincent Stops re the LCN+. They would raise the issue of process, consultation and strategy with regard to LCH+.

8. Cycle workshop
This now has a new semi-permanent home on Nightingale Estate. However, a new permanent venue was urgently sought

The workshop crew have been asked to produce a list of requirements and a budget..Adam Thompson to take the lead on this.

Oliver suggested the idea of bike recycling linked with adult cycle training.

9. Car Free Day
Trevor reported back on progress regarding the Curtain Road event on Sunday the 21st . The car free zone was extended to the whole of the Curtain Road triangle for the day. Significant funding had been obtained for this event by commercial sponsors and TFL. Trevor was the lead organizer. The cycle awareness component included a test track by Bikefix, global warming awareness, travel alternatives display, bike parking, pedicabs to bring in people from Hoxton Sq and Spitalfields.

Re the Windus Street event, this would be discussed at the 10th July event, which Dave Fowler would attend. Dave to report back.

10. Stratford City
Oliver reported that the cycling provision within this extensive scheme was limited to off road or segregated routes. He was meeting the developer on the 10th July with Newham and Walthamstow Cycling Groups to discuss the proposal. Oliver is developing a policy position for the LCCiH which will include ‘safe routes to school’, residential and commercial cycle parking and reducing car parking spaces. Oliver to report back.