Venue:
Pub on the Park, London Fields, London E8

Present:

Oliver Schick, Marian Farrugia, Brenda Puech, Trevor Parsons, Richard Lewis, Katie Hanson, Patrick Field
Apologies:
None received.

Topics discussed:

1. Matters arising
2. Staffing
3. Car free day
4. Residential cycle parking project
5. Hackney Environment Forum
6. Stratford City
7. Press
8. London Fields lido development
9. Constitution
10. AOB

1. Matters arising

We are still waiting for minutes of the Olympics meeting from Hackney Environment Forum.

Constitution of LCCiH not done yet – need to do it by the LCC AGM, 25th October.

Back to the top

2. Staffing

Could do with an administrator who would do more than just admin. Someone who could co-ordinate volunteers, write position papers etc..

Job description
Purpose:

  • Someone who acts as a central port of call, contact address, PO box
  • Monitor the flow of mail, be a point of liaison for members and public
  • Do routine admin stuff, assist with producing newsletter, sending contributions to LC
  • Basic casework support, writing back to members
  • Be available to attend daytime meetings, liaise with other organistions in the borough
  • Compile position papers after consulting with the membership

Katie: could do this as a freelance, because being an employer is onerous?

Could be employed directly by LCC itself.

Question about whether s/he would work from home or from a desk in an office somewhere.

Brenda: do person spec at separate meeting. Let’s assign someone to do the job description. Brenda will do that and Marian will explore the funding opportunities.
No face-to-face meeting on this yet.

Back to the top

3. Car free day

Katie can get us lots of stewards for Shoreditch Car Free Day. Oliver has offered to help. He will talk to Hugo Farmer, who is with Trevor on the Shoreditch Carnival Team.
We also want to do a stall. Marian says let’s try to get some of the new people who helped with stalls during the summer events. Paul Standeven to do Dr Bike?

Invite Transport 2000 to have a stall. Living Streets. Hackney Environment Forum.

Back to the top

4. Residential parking project

Marian and Brenda will develop a questionnaire in collaboration with Dave Holladay, to do on their estates. Door to door probably best, thinks Marian.

Back to the top

5. Hackney Environment Forum

Katie wants to know about the HEF. Meg Hillier asked Katie if she’d like to be affiliated to the Forum, and she wanted to know a bit more about the state of the HEF currently. We advised speaking to Mark Douglas and Ann Woollet.

Richard thinks they ran a very good public meeting, re the Olympics.

Oliver thinks we should affiliate, if there is a way to do that.

We could have guest editorial from HEF groups in our newsletter.

Some discussion about how we could work together with other environment groups. Brenda says let’s get on the forum and then talk details then.

Back to the top

6. Stratford City

Oliver met Rob ?? Both Newham and TfL are opposed to the excessive motor traffic element. Hackney implications: planning proposals to convert Waterden Road into a dual carriageway going south to meet a new access road at Stratford city. Oliver suggests we oppose that and all other wider roads unless they include a wide bus’n’cycle lane plus general traffic lane. Agreed nem con.

Oliver hasn’t had a chance to talk to Sue Foster of Hackney Planning yet.

Whole thing is worryingly backward, esp zoning. Richard thinks it’s the worst form of ’60s-style planning. High buildings with lots of shadows. We should be going for something like two-metre cycle lanes where necessary.

We’ll suggest putting in a green link across the Lea at some point. Waiting for someone from Lea Valley Park to get back to us. Lea Valley Pathway person contacted. Timescale is huge. Construction due 2009 if they get planning permission. They’ve put in seven planning applications.

Oliver thinks they’re overestimating the potential of the site. We’re opposing the plans for the 5000 retail car park.

Back to the top

7. Press

Well done to Katie and David Fowler and Oliver’s letter (with contributions from Trevor) for their letters in the Hackney Gazette about allowances for cycling Council people.

Press coverage about KSI incidents ? not much we can do about that.

Adrian Williams of lcc-issues had said that it would be good to follow up after serious incidents, and there was a discussion about whether it would be possible to do this. Adrian and Charlie have been to inquests. But this is probably more than we could do.

Some discussion about how up to date the statistics are, going from police reports to the LAAU (London Accident Analysis Unit).

You get very neutral sterile description of what happened. Not a fault-based thing. Just things like what direction people were travelling in.

Back to the top

8. London Fields lido development

Market Sports, Matthew Lloyd Architects, the Environment Trust, along with the London Fields User group. Proposing to cover the lido. Starting construction later this year, subject to funding. We sent a reminder that cycle parking and access needs to be built in. Before it goes in for planning permission we should ensure that this has been picked up, as well as ensuring there is no more than disabled car parking.

Back to the top

9. Constitution

Brenda has a draft, simply putting in our group’s name. We have to have a secretary, chair and treasurer. Let’s have all three names included. ‘London Cycling Campaign in Hackney’ “An affiliated local group”

Richard Lewis has been adopted as acting secretary of the group.

We spoke at some length about the constitution. Richard will co-ordinate finalizing the draft.

Back to the top

10. AOB

Brenda: who’s going to ask the mailing list for ideas on how to spend our money, and distribute the ideas we came up with at the last meeting?

We could make a contribution to Car Free Day. Brenda said let’s set a maximum figure, say £600 – that was agreed. That will include Doctor Bike for a start, but could include the Conference Bike.

Back to the top

Next Meeting

Wednesday 1 October, 8pm, same venue.