Hackney LCC meeting Wednesday 5 November 2003

Venue:
Pub on the Park, London Fields, London E8

Present:
Oliver Schick, Ben Webster, Melissa, Paul, Brenda Puech, Gigi Davies, Trevor Parsons
Apologies:
Marian Farrugia, Sara Davies, Katie Hanson, Patrick Field, Sally Haywill.

Topics discussed:

1. Matters arising
2. Burns Night
3. Budget
4. Residential cycle parking project
5. Staff person
6. London Re-Cycle
7. Lea Valley Pathway
8. Newington Green
9. AOB

1. Matters arising

  • STA Bikes won the LCC youth cycling award!
  • Constitution. We need to get those minor amends off Richard and put it together. Brenda to chase.
  • Rides: Gigi did one! More to come, we hope.
  • Road safety panel. Oliver presented on our behalf, and this went down well. Brian Coleman from Barnet Council was there, among others. An interesting meeting. Patrick Field, on behalf of the London School of Cycling, did a thorough historical survey of the development of the road safety culture in this country.

Back to the top

2. Burns Night

Tim had recommended no dance only tickets for Burns Night after the experience last year when the dancefloor was a bit over-full. A compromise is 100 dinner tickets (plus volunteers) and 50 dance-only tickets. Concessions and dance only will be £8. Trevor to send London Cyclist co-editor Rebecca Lack notice that there are dance-only tickets, and that holders of these should aim to arrive at 9pm. And put the new details on the web page. We decided that Re-Cycle will be the beneficiary of the raffle.

Back to the top

3. Budget

We’re making a grant application to the LCC, so Brenda’s done the annual accounts. We should make these available online. We’d still like our membership to contribute more ideas of how to spend it.

Trevor proposed a ‘pitstop project’, which would see an LCC presence during peak hour at a busy street, offering passing cyclists Dr Bike-style assistance, a bit of lube for the chain, and perhaps even cheap lights for those who don’t have any. It would be a good bit of publicity for the organisation, and would show that we try to reach out beyond our ‘standard’ constituency. We set a notional allocation of £500 for this.

Melissa said that we should look at employers, encourage things like more bike breakfasts. In particular it would be good to do something for council employees.

Ben: we should spend some of the money putting on a social event for new members. Springtime? March?

Back to the top

4. Residential parking project

Trevor gave a summary of progress.

Brenda will write a letter to Jamie Carswell asking him to arrange a meeting with whoever it is who sorts out garage policy.

Back to the top

5. Staff person

Oliver has written to LCC central asking for a meeting with them to discuss employing someone. Claire Sephton thought there may be some issues with respect to a local group recruiting someone. Gigi will join in with that meeting.

Ben definitely thinks there is need for justification of this. Subgroup will come up with draft job description, management regime etc. Trevor and Oliver met Laurie Baker from HAVE.

An example of what the person would be very useful for would be getting more of Hackney’s schools to pick up the TfL schools cycle parking project.

Ben has a worry about people getting put off from voluntary work if someone’s getting paid. We could advertise a voluntary job, perhaps.

Staff member sub-group meeting Saturday 15th at Brenda’s house, 4pm.

Back to the top

6. London Re-Cycle

Trevor mentioned that Re-Cycle is planning a new collection ‘hub’ for London, which may well be using the Jack Watts estate garages.

Let’s ask someone from Re-cycle to speak after dinner very briefly at Burns Night. Gigi is going to help putting together the raffle. Trevor will invite Michael Linde from Re-cycle.

Back to the top

7. Lea Valley Pathway

Oliver has received plans for this route. Looks good – no cycle barriers, good surfaces and quality. Can’t see anything objectionable. Oliver has passed the plans to Rick Andrew, LCC’s canals expert. Dave Hughes, project officer at Lee Valley Park Authority, asked us particularly to consider whether there should there be a fence between the towpath and the canal under the bridges, even if the path is wide? We were undecided about this – hope to get a steer from Rick.

Back to the top

8. Newington Green

We have the detailed plans. In our estimation this is a backward-looking scheme in engineering terms, since the option of making sections two-way or shutting one of the sides to motor traffic were dismissed. The improvements are really not much more than superficial, and expensive ones at that. The lane widths are not optimised for cycle traffic. The Newington Green Action Group weren’t very responsive when Oliver contacted them about this in early stages. Trevor went to the exhibition of proposals in later stages and asked that cycle traffic should be able to do the turn from Mildmay Road to the Green through the barrier in the middle of Mildmay Park Road. Oliver offered to raise this point and other permeability-related issues with the engineer.

Back to the top

9. AOB

None.

Back to the top

Next Meeting

Wednesday 3 December, 8pm, same venue.