Hackney LCC meeting Wednesday 3 December 2003

Venue:
Pub on the Park, London Fields, London E8

Present:
Sally Haywill, Marian Farrugia, Patrick Field, Brenda Puech, Frank Merrigan, Richard Lewis
Apologies:
Trevor Parsons, Oliver Schick

Topics discussed:

1. Constitution
2. AGM
3. Burns Night
4. Finances
5. Staff member
6. AOB / DONM

1. Constitution
The constitution was edited for final agreement at the forthcoming AGM. It was decided that people could join the local group free of charge should they wish to. [We agreed this some months ago in order facilitate the co-option of non-LCC members to our Shoreditch Car Free Day sub-committee. Ed.] However we would encourage people to join LCC in order to benefit from insurance and other member privileges.

Back to the top

2. AGM
We will hold our AGM on Wednesday 4th March. See diary for details.

Formal events will end after 9pm. Entry to the AGM and associated events will be free, as will soft drinks and food (budget £100). A large, more accessible venue should be chosen. The AGM will be publicised at Burns Night, on the mailing list and in the London Cyclist magazine.

The AGM will take about two hours including at least an hour and a half for some sort of event, such as a (series of) seminars, an interactive planning event or similar and possibly background music (budget £100 agreed). Perhaps a Dr Bike event could be included and sponsored by a bike shop.

Actions:

  • Patrick to identify a possible programme for three half-hour workshops
  • Frank to investigate entertainment opportunities to use Shoreditch Town Hall [Proved impossible because of ongoing refurbishment. Ed]
  • Marian is willing to provide catering with Brenda’s help

The issue of publicising Hackney LCC was raised during these discussions and it was agreed that publicity for the campaign and in particular the mailing list could be done via a ‘business card’.

Back to the top

3. Burns Night

Tickets are selling steadily for our Burns Night fundraiser. In addition to the sold tickets, 30 free volunteer tickets are being allocated (including for entertainment providers and their partners – this includes free meals). It was confirmed that people doing a ‘turn’ after the dinner don’t really qualify for a free ticket – these are for ‘grafters’ only!

Patrick will investigate the lighting situation at Sir Thomas Abney School to iron out problems identified last year, including external lighting.

We should advertise the event around Hackney, for example using posters in shops and a plug in Hackney Gazette. Also advertise in borough group mailing lists.

Sally has booked the school room, band etc.

Back to the top

4. Finances

We have about £1600 in our bank account. We have lent about £1400 to the Shoreditch Car Free Day budget, which we will recover when promised payments are received from Transport for London Street Management and Hackney Traffic and Transportation section. We will allocate a small amount of money (under £500) for the AGM.

Back to the top

5. Staff person

The staff member previously proposed would carry out such tasks as to attend meetings on by behalf of LCCiH. Central LCC may have reservations because of staff liabilities and insurance. Frank suggested that this need not be the case if Hackney LCC employed someone independently with appropriate insurance and contractural arrangements. Alternatively (possibly expensively) staff could be employed as self-employed contractors according to available budgets.

These points will be taken to a meeting with central LCC.

Back to the top

6. Any other business

Marian suggested that the police could be invited to send a representative to one of our meetings.

There was some discussion of ways in which our relationship with statutory authorities could be improved. Some felt that progress has been too slow despite the recent increases in cycling that have been covered in the media. Richard felt that something needed to be done to inspire change, and suggested what he described as an ’emotional’ campaign to decision-makers.

Back to the top

Next Meeting

Wednesday 7 January 2004, 8pm, same venue.