Hackney LCC meeting Wednesday 2 June 2004

Venue:
Pub on the Park, London Fields, London E8

Present:
Oliver Schick (co-ordinator), Brenda Puech (treasurer), Richard Lewis (secretary), Trevor Parsons (communications), Marian Farrugia, Tim Watts, Siraj Izhar, Paul Singer, Jane Willdig, Melissa Martin.

Apologies:
None received.

Topics discussed:

1. XYZ cycle hire
2. Bike Week
3. Mailings
4. Possible summer seminar
5. Borough liaison
6. Policing
7. Shoreditch Car Free Day
8. Homebikepark
9. AOB

1. XYZ cycle hire

Shiraz introduced a new concept for GPS-based cycle hire. He is proposing a series of prominent cycle centres where it will be possible to hire cycles for the equivalent price of a travel card. He pointed out that the concept is untried in the UK, but actually quite common in some other European countries. He also said that his new website has received in the region of 45,000 hits, from people looking to hire cycles in the capital.

Shiraz is seeking our general support to help him lobby for more facilities. He will come to next month’s meeting to discuss further the concept, after members have had a chance to view the XYZ website.

Action: Members to view the website in advance of the next meeting.

Back to the top

2. Bike Week

Arrangements for events during the week were outlined as follows:

Cyclists’ Breakfast: Wednesday 16 June from 0730. Actions: Richard to deliver table and collect croissants using the trailer at around 0600. Volunteer help is available from Brenda, Ben, Gigi and Oliver.

Bike the Bounds: Oliver will lead this 20-mile ride, from 2pm on Saturday 12 June. The ride will start from outside the town hall and follow the boundary counter-clockwise, finishing at the Princess of Wales pub, and taking in Eastway.

Sundown Cooldown event: Marian has organised this event with funding from Islington Council. It will commence from 6pm on Friday 18 June. Actions: Richard to call at Marian’s flat with the trailer at 1630 to collect food to be taken to the Robinson Crusoe Pub on the SW corner of Clissold Park (Stoke Newington Church Street / Green Lanes). Marian to contact the masseuses to make final arrangements, and to chase up funding from Islington Council.

Full details of events on our diary page.

Other events in Bike Week

Bike festival at Trafalgar Square: Action: A feeder ride will be organised to TfL’s flagship event in the square on Sunday 13 June. Details to be published on the mailing list.

3. Mailings

Agreed: A newsletter outlining events on National Bike Week will be mailed to all members in the Borough. The cost will be approximately £200. Siraj kindly volunteered to help design the mailout. (In the event Trevor produced the mailout as time was very tight. Ed.).

Action: Volunteers were asked to go to an envelope-stuffing session at Brenda’s flat on Sunday 6 June from 5pm.

Back to the top

4. Possible summer seminar

Richard suggested an event to be held in the summer that would involve a discussion about the pros and cons of segregation, following media discussion on this subject following the tragic death of Vicki McCreery.

The group suggested that some form of workshop would be more appropriate, perhaps one that would involve Hackney’s engineers in a discussion about cycle-sensitive design, such as good design of ‘road closures’, or modal filters as we prefer to call them. A number of possibilities could be explored. The group agreed that the appropriate time for such an event would be in October or November, when there would be no conflict with other events such as Car Free Day.

Back to the top

5. Borough Spending Plan

Richard has been in contact with Hackney’s cycling projects officer Olu Soyoye with regard to the Borough Spending Plan. He agreed to contact him to remind him that TfL will assist with the wording of bids to increase the likelihood of securing funding. (Hackney wasn’t very successful in its cycle-specific bids for 2004/5).

Action: Richard to talk to Olu about this.

Back to the top

6. Policing

Marian has been in touch with GLA member Meg Hillier about policing and cycling, and has received a positive response. She said that the police would be happy to attend a monthly meeting to discuss issues.

Action: Marian to contact David Vale with a list of issues.

Back to the top

7. Shoreditch Car Free Day

The situation for private sponsorship of the Car Free Day & Carnival is looking quite positive, with funding also being invited from Hackney Council’s travel awareness week allocation and from TfL Street Management as in previous years. The draft event budget is currently around £70k, but could be scaled back considerably with the loss of major elements of entertainment etc. Trevor has attended preliminary meetings with licensing, TfL, Hackney Traffic & Transportation, and police, who would like to be in attendance with officers including the famous cycle squad which is based at Shoreditch nick. Two public meetings have been held so far.

Agreement about LCCiH funding support for CFD: The group agreed to spend a further £260 to cover the cost of Red Cross attendance at last year’s event. The expenditure was approved on condition that there would be an agreed ceiling on monies given to CFD in this and future years, to cover shortfalls in costs.

Oliver is still planning to invite attendance of groups promoting sustainable travel/mobility, especially for stalls. Trevor added that Transport 2000 is already booked to attend.

Back to the top

8. HomeBikePark

Trevor reported that all systems are go with HomeBikePark, our residential cycle parking project. He is now in the implementation stage, talking to contractors and suppliers. Brenda offered to speak to a builder she can recommend.

Back to the top

9. Any other business

Back to the top

Next Meeting

Wednesday 7 July, 8pm, Pub on the Park.