Venue:
Pub on the Park, London Fields, London E8

Present:
Katy Andrews, Douglas Carnall, Nathan Carr, Marian Farrugia (police liaison), Sally Haywill (STA Bikes), Vicky Lack, Richard Lewis (secretary), Trevor Parsons (communications), George Peretz, Brenda Puech (treasurer), Oliver Schick (co-ordinator).

Guest:
Dave Holladay

Apologies:
None received.

Topics discussed:

1. Matters arising
2. Burns Night
3. Chatsworth Road Market Festival
4. Maps and publications
5. LCN+ CRISPs
6. Lower Clapton
7. Cycle theft
8. Any other business

1. Matters arising
Richard still needs to chase PC Lovegrove about the cycle checklist so that we can produce a leaflet for bike shops and stalls that helps people give an ‘identity’ for their bikes in case of theft. [Update — this has been done but still no response].

  • Action: Marian (as police liaison officer) to follow this up after Richard’s contact

Richard is still chasing up the towpath issue. [Latest information: a suggested leaflet has been drafted by Robert. The final draft wording is yet to be finalised by LCCiWF and LCCiH]. As mentioned in last month’s minutes, Olu has confirmed that he will install barriers instead of rumble strips.

Ongoing: Parking Enforcement Plan. David Smith has sent a first draft, to be enhanced and circulated soon.

Back to the top

2. Burns Night

Someone else to take on the role of co-ordination because Sally would like to step down.

Marian said that Ben has indicated a willingness to take on the role of Burns Night Co-ordinator.

  • Action: Marian to ask Ben to confirm. A sub-group has been formed to help Ben with co-ordination. Members so far are Oliver, Brenda, Vicky, Richard and Marian.

We may have secured a free piper for the event.

 

  • Action: This needs to be confirmed.
  • Action: The Muckers need to be booked ASAP.

 

 

The official date for the event was set at 29 January 2005. The event will be held at Sir Thomas Abney School and will not increase in size. Initial discussion took place over ticket price – it was suggested that a waged adult price of £15 would be appropriate.

3. Chatsworth Winter Market

The Chatsworth Road Market Festival will take place on Saturday 4th December. We’d like to have a stall there.

Richard suggested mulled wine. We could use Ben’s gas stove to heat it. [Don’t forget your fire blanket! Ed.] Marian could bring her choir.

  • Action: These suggestions to be followed up and confirmed.

Back to the top

4. Maps and publications

  • Action: Richard to order maps from TfL ahead of our next event (Dec).

Marian suggested a local map / leaflet for our campaign. The leaflet could contain all sorts of information about cycling in Hackney and be printed by WCS Printers.

Oliver would like us to have business cards. He said it would be more convenient for meetings than having to write out contact details every time one is asked.

  • Action: Oliver to carry out this task and agree the cost before purchasing if it is more than the agreed threshold.

Back to the top

5. LCN+ CRISPs

Oliver Schick and Trevor Parsons, with contributions by Rik Andrew, Peter Blach, Richard Lewis, Brenda Puech, and Ralph Smyth, have produced our detailed response to the draft CRISP (cycle route implementation stakeholder plan) report on LCN+ route 9 (response in HTML format / response in PDF format). This took us approximately 70 hours of collaborative work.

We will be following these up with comments on the draft reports for Routes 8, 10, and 16 in Hackney. All members are welcome to take part in this process. Please contact Oliver. (Email oliver DOT schick AT phonecoop DOT coop without the obvious antispam interpolations).

Back to the top

6. Lower Clapton

The Lower Clapton area traffic management scheme will be the subject of a technical review by Hackney Council in late October/early November, ahead of Neighbourhood Committee (North-east and Homerton Forum) meetings in December. There will be extensive public consultation in November to January, and the report will be finalised in January and February 2005. There will be a report back to the Neighbourhood Committees in March. The cost of the review is £30k.

This is a matter of some concern to the group which fears that without stakeholder input the review may not yield the best result. We therefore want to develop comprehensive proposals to submit to Hackney Council. We will be aided in this by the fact that we have members all over Lower Clapton and will be contacting them to get a meeting together that is broadly representative of the whole area. This is necessary to address the problem that different streets often have different concerns.

The history of the problem is that a traffic management scheme was introduced in the late 1990s in response to concerns about rat-running traffic from the M11 Link Road (A12), which resulted in the development of mode filters in the north of the area. However, Hackney then suffered an acute financial crisis and proved unable to implement the rest of the proposed scheme. A half-hearted attempt at completing it in 2002 went out to consultation again and produced a regrettable one-way ‘solution’.

As often noted, the LCC in Hackney opposes one-way working. One effect of one-way streets (and a reason why the minority with first access to a car may support them) is that additional car parking can be squeezed in whereas, in a two-way situation, passing places would be required that would leave gaps in the lines of parked vehicles.

Chatsworth Road, Homerton High Street, and Urswick Road are routinely gridlocked, resulting in delays for emergency vehicles and buses. When the streets are clear, motor traffic speeds along them.

Actions:

  • Oliver to produce a list of LCCiH members in the affected area the from LCC database and to invite them to a meeting.
  • Katie to find a venue for a first working group meeting – the strongest suggestion among several was Sutton House.
  • Oliver to produce a map of the area with its current arrangements and a potted history of the traffic schemes there.
  • To produce a response to Hackney Council.

 

Back to the top

7. Cycle theft

  • Action: To set up and distribute a form (see matters arising). Ongoing.
  • Action: We agreed to have a once-yearly meeting with the police on this issue. We regularly send representatives to other police liaison meetings when appropriate.

Back to the top

8. Any other business

Nathan’s bike ride to Ripley Bike Jumble (20 miles). This was organised with Tower Hamlets Wheelers.

Back to the top

Next Meeting

Wednesday 3 November, 8pm, Pub on the Park.