Present:
Nathan Carr
Margaret Doherty (from LCC Policing and Enforcement Committee)
Marian Farrugia (Policing and Enforcement Liaison)
Patrick Field (London School of Cycling)
Sally Haywill (STA Bikes)
Simon Hughes
Richard Lewis (Secretary)
George Peretz
Brenda Puech (Treasurer)
Oliver Schick (Co-ordinator)
Thérèse Kilpatrick (Interested in establishing a bike recycling scheme in Hackney)

Apologies: Katie Hanson

Matters Arising

Burns Night
A wiki and e-group are being established to help manage the event this year.

It was reiterated that Burns Night is an opportunity to reach out to both members and non-members – members would not receive any preferential treatment with regard to tickets, however they would be able to volunteer.

Bike theft
We are establishing a scheme to help cyclists report their stolen cycles and enable the police to identify them.

Thérèse kindly said that London Fields Cycles would probably be willing to assist cyclists with this free of charge.

The City Police have produced a template which they have made available to cycle shops in the City. Ongoing actions: Richard to investigate the template

Constitution
The constitution will be modified at the AGM

Consultation
We have sent a response to the cycle training brief.

Update: Sally has completed the work necessary to answer the brief but is under the impression that Hackney is actually seeking to establish its own agenda for cycle training, perhaps to deliver it in-house.

AGM and Spring Seminar
Date confirmed: 2 March at the Hothouse (to be arranged by RL)

Cassland Road Bus Lane
Ongoing.

AGENDA ITEMS

Personal Safety
Margaret Doherty from LCC Policing and Enforcement group introduced the work of the group and invited ideas for discussion. These included questions and ideas, for example:

1. Are people more of a target on a bike, and is this worse if they are wearing bright clothing?
2. Are the perceptions greater than the reality – in many areas problems have existed for decades
3. We can use self-defence mechanisms – Sally suggested that fear is the biggest problem and that most people actually cope quite well with incidents.
4. Another idea – Sally suggested that we speak to youth workers about how we can tackle the issue more progressively.
5. Richard suggested that in the long term we should consider campaigning for more use of techniques found in best practice examples such as a scheme in South London. We could also develop ideas such as the Pit Stop and Bike Recycling as methods of generating constructive interests among the youths.
6. Oliver said that actually we need to develop quick wins and that we as a group cannot expand our activities to include taking active part in crime reduction. Instead we should be making sure that members are informed of the issues and advised to avoid certain areas or at least be aware of potential problems with groups of youths. We should continue to liaise with the police as we have been doing to try and tackle theft and anti-social behaviour.
7. Brenda suggested that we should contribute in some way to establishing a workshop for deprived youths, and that our primary focus should be on cyclists’ safety.
8. Marian suggested that there are design issues – physical barriers may slow traffic but they can often make it more difficult for cyclists to leave the scene of problems quickly.
9. George suggested that the police could be asked to advise us on ways we as a group can help them.
10. Marian said that the enforcement group needs to persuade the police to work on cross-boundary issues – too often cyclists are having problems reporting incidents to the police away from their own policing areas.

Actions – Sally to speak to her youth worker contact to get some practical ideas
Marian to contact the police to be included in invitations to policing liaison meetings.
Margaret to speak to Mike Sturgeon of City Police to obtain templates for theft reporting purposes.

Bike Recycling

Thérèse introduced her Bike Recycling workshop idea and asked whether anyone could provide her with information, ideas and possible voluntary help.

Walthamstow has a similar project where bikes are collected and sold on at a low cost. Thérèse has trained the volunteers there and sees an opening in Hackney for a similar scheme, which she would like to run. Key points were as follow:

1. The scheme should not be set up until there is someone in place to deal with the business elements, such as hire and management of space, insurance, retailing and volunteer management.

2. Storage space can be identified all over Hackney. Cllr. Jessica Crowe may be able to help by identifying a suitable venue from the Council’s ‘stock’ of surplus space.

3. Money may be available from grant giving trusts, such as the Prince’s Trust because this is a community enterprise.

AGM

The AGM will be held at the Hothouse on 2 March 2005. The meeting discussed possible speakers, among them Jon Snow (Channel 4 News and a long term supporter of LCC), David Begg, who said really positive things about transport in Hackney; Christian Wolmar. The meeting agreed that we really need to identify a female speaker too if possible.

Actions: To get Simon at LCC to contact Jon Snow (RL)
Book the Hothouse (RL)
Signage (RL)
Approach Pogo’s for catering (Oliver)
Sponsorship – approach London Fields Cycles (?)
Think of good female speakers (all)

Chatsworth Road

The meeting discussed the upcoming Chatsworth Road Market stall (which had been operated successfully at the time of writing). The main issues discussed were the enclosure for cycles; a licence for selling alcohol; a stove, pot and purchase of wine, fruit and herbs; and budgeting.

Transport Strategy leaflets

These were distributed; the deadline for completion is 17 January 2005. More will be distributed to members on the mailing list, together with a newsletter.

Lower Clapton

A good turnout of 14 local members discussed the Campaign’s approach to improving conditions for cyclists in this area as part of the review being conducted by consultants on behalf of LB Hackney.

Actions: A Yahoogroup is to be established.

CRISPs

There has not been much time to comment on the CRISP studies, which are of very poor quality. Trevor and Oliver have spent several tens of hours putting right the errors that exist in the final document.