Venue:

Marcon Court Estate Community Hall

Members present:

Ben Edmonds, Tim Evans, Sally Haywill, Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator, chair), Dave Raval (guest), Oliver Schick (council liaison co-ordinator, minutes)

Topics discussed:

1. Matters arising
2. LBH Pit Stops and HGV events
3. Haggerston West and Kingsland
4. Paul Street
5. Downs Lane
6. Copenhagenize.com coming to London
7. Any Other Business

1. Matters arising
20mph: We recapped the recent public meeting.

Action: We decided to send a follow-up letter to LBH to clarify our ambition on 20mph implementation policy, as requested by Alan Laing. OS to lead on drafting.

Narroway: OS to circulate Dalston and Hackney Town Centre Masterplan responses.

Cycle Hire zone: It was unclear whether Hackney Living Streets had submitted objections to any of the docking station locations, as they intended (where there was a wide footway to cross over from the docking station, causing potential conflict). LCCiH had not submitted any objections.

Zone 1 improvements: OS to follow up with Chris Proctor whether a bid for improvements had been submitted.

Bike Week: We recapped the breakfast, which was a great success. The Bike the Bounds ride was attended by six people and passed off in glorious weather.

Kynaston Avenue: TP to reply to Jean Cantrell based on minutes of the last meeting. We should suggest a swing gate.

Central London Greenways programme: TP is liaising with Sara Redgewell at Sustrans and has articulated the reasons why we do not support attempts to create a route parallel to the canal.

Closure of the Greenway: Discussion has taken place with the Olympic Delivery Authority. The ODA conceded that the process of closing the Greenway has been poorly handled, and liaison is now working well.

Street schemes:

Gascoyne Road: This scheme to upgrade the northbound contraflow has proved surprisingly difficult. An objection to the proposed scheme has been made by local club runners, who as it turns out run along the footway two-abreast for certain training exercises. We have accordingly suggested an alternative scheme to LBH but have yet to discuss it with LBH. TP and OS to liaise with LBH.

Annual meeting: This hasn’t been arranged yet. BE to scout out possible venues. We decided to hold this in October. We will discuss and decide on the arrangements at our next meeting (Wednesday 5th August).

Back to the top

2. Streetscene promotions: training adverts, pit stops and HGV awareness events
Hackney council’s Streetscene department is doing an advertising campaign to let people know that cycle training is available free of charge to adults living, working or studying in the borough. Publicity of the offer has previously been quite low-key, mostly by word of mouth and through Hackney Today. SH reported that STA Bikes, which delivers the cycle training programme, had not been told in advance about the advertising campaign and was concerned that it might not be possible to meet demand, particularly as the organisations winds down its activities during the summer.

Streetscene is putting on two cycle pit stops on Tuesday the 14th July, 4-7pm, Northchurch Terrace, and Tuesday the 21st July, 4-7pm, on Bouverie Road, near the junction with Stoke Newington Church Street. We are invited to send along volunteers. BE is keen to go along to both if he’s available. There will also be an HGV awareness event at Kingsland fire station on Tuesday 14th July 7-10am. Members were pleased that these awareness events were continuing, but there was some concern that the fire station is on the wrong side of the street to attract people heading south in the morning peak.

Back to the top

3. Haggerston West and Kingsland
TP drew attention to the large-scale demolition and redevelopment of estates in Haggerston, for which outline planning permission has been granted to London and Quadrant Housing. This redevelopment presents the opportunity to restore a fine-grained street network for cycling, which was lost when the post-war estates were plonked down over the old street pattern. In addition to restoring localised route choice, there is also the potential to facilitate a new north-south route leading all the way from Shoreditch to Dalston without going on either the Kingsland Road or Queensbridge Road — what you might call the ‘Haggerston Spine Route’. The developer’s landscape architects have been kind enough to give us an area plan, which currently shows the new estate streets as being one-way. DR has a contact at London and Quadrant and will try to make an introduction. TP and DR to continue to work on this issue.

Back to the top

4. Paul Street
The consultation has now closed. Ralph Smyth has expressed concerns about the design in the consultation document. We will submit some additional comments to LBH to reflect some of these concerns, but in essence we think that this is an excellent scheme that deserves our support. Works on site are due to commence in autumn. OS to submit additional comments.

Back to the top

5. Downs Lane
The potential exists for a quiet, high-quality connection between Hackney Downs and Kenninghall Road / Nightingale Road avoiding the Lea Bridge roundabout. Many people already use it, but it currently involves mounting several kerbs. This has long been on our permeability wish list, and TP recently met an engineer from Hackney council’s Streetscene department on site to discussed ideas. Substantial co-operation will be required between Streetscne, Hackney Homes and the Nightingale Estate tenants and residents association. It was noted that Nightingale Estate has a lot of cycling promotion activities currently happening thanks to work by Keir Apperley and Interlinkx CIC.

Back to the top

6. Copenhagenize.com coming to London
OS reported back on Mikael Colville-Andersen’s visit to London and alerted the meeting about possible blog entries about Hackney and London on copenhagenize.com and copenhagencyclechic.com, two blogs that Mikael runs.

Back to the top

7. Any other business
There being no other business, the meeting closed at 9:39pm and relocated to the pub for post-meeting drinks.

Back to the top

Next meeting
Wednesday 2 September 2009, same venue.