Hackney LCC meeting 11th January 2012

London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012, 7:30pm

Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall

Present: Siobhan Blackshaw (rides co-ordinator), Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Brenda Puech (events co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (secretary, minutes).

Apologies: Katie Hanson.

Agenda:

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. Burns Night

3. Rides

4. Other events

5. Broadway Market

6. Regent’s Canal parallel route

7. Glenarm Road in-carriageway cycle parking

8. Stoke Newington Station cycle parking

9. Hackney Cycling Conference

10. Women’s Institute Cycle Helmet Proposition

11. Any other business

Agenda:

1. Minutes and matters arising

Cycle parking in the carriageway: We didn’t put in a separate written response to the consultation about cycle parking in Hoxton Street but discussed it informally with officers.

Modal filters: TP and OS are still to produce a document explaining modal filtering. Action carried over.

2. Burns Night

Unexpectedly, we were unable to hold the event at Sir Thomas Abney School. After considering a number of venues, we were offered the use of Southwold School. The initial date of 21st January proved impossible owing to the deadline for submitting the Temporary Event Notice. We were thinking about holding the event on the 28th January, but the difficulty there was that the Muckers’ regular caller was unavailable, and that we didn’t know whether Adrian Smith was available to lead the kitchen team. We decided that if we could get both a caller and a chef in time (before Friday 13th January, when the TEN would have to be in) that we would go ahead with holding the event at Southwold School. Failing either of these, we thought that we’d take a break from holding Burns Night this year and to hold it again next year.

Actions: TP and BP to pursue callers and chefs.

3. Rides

SB’s next ride was going to be on Sunday the 29th January, to Southwark Park, where there is a nice cafe and returning via the Prospect of Whitby pub. The meeting points will be in London Fields at the Lamb Lane entrance at 10:00am, and on the Green Bridge in Mile End Park at 10:30am.

4. Other events

Olympic Tour du Danger: There was going to be a ride around the perimeter of the Olympic Park on the 17th March, organised by bloggers Danny Williams and Mark Ames, following on from the successful ‘Tour du Danger’ of the ten London junctions with the worst collision record in November.

5. Broadway Market

We discussed the draft response to the consultation about the Broadway Market ‘shared space’ scheme.

Action: OS to submit response.

6. Regent’s Canal parallel route

We had received a request for support from British Waterways for their attempt to resume the project to create a ‘parallel route’ to the Regent’s Canal to get commuter cyclists off the canal towpath. While we support the aim of reducing cycle traffic on the towpaths, our position, and our input to the 2008 CRISP, is that because of the attractive features of the environment around the canal, many people will be making large diversions from the line between their origin and destination, in order to spend as much of their journey as possible on the towpath. Only a minority of people travelling on the canal will have both their origin and destination close to the canal, and most people wishing to enjoy the towpath will not divert to a less attractive alternative route which follows a similar alignment.

The parallel route has many problems, such as those posed by bridges, which are in turn symptomatic of the fact that the canal is crossed by many busy north-south streets. For these reasons, we believe that such a route will never be as attractive as the towpath.

However, there are certainly worthwhile projects to be done along the proposed alignment, some of which we support very strongly. These include signalising the crossroads of New North Road, Eagle Wharf Road, and Poole Street, as well as unifying Regent’s Row and the adjacent towpath (although the problem with this project is that even there the route is discontinuous, and faster cyclists would resume riding along the canal after reaching the next bridge).

It is also important to note that route-based funding projects in London have in the past failed to deliver complete ‘routes’. They always tend to run up against major barriers (such as big junctions) which cannot be resolved in the scope of the project, as a more joined-up approach is required to tackle these. It would be a more fruitful approach to continue to join up the surrounding network by improving permeability and defusing difficult crossings rather than think primarily of one particular route.

Action: TP to submit response to BW.

7. Glenarm Road in-carriageway cycle parking

We discussed a proposal to install new cycle parking in the carriageway in Glenarm Road, at the junction with Chatsworth Road. The meeting welcomed this initiative and thought the location was well-chosen. We are very much in favour of placing the stands directly in the carriageway, but thought that they should be angled in line with the angle of the adjacent buildout instead of installing them perpendicular to the carriageway. We also thought that there should be more flexibility to extend parking provision. We would suggest a moveable traffic island of the sort used on the streets of the City of Westminster where they are routinely moved for ceremonial occasions. We also considered the potential impact on two-way working and contraflows.

Action: OS to write response.

8. Stoke Newington Station cycle parking

Hackney Council would like to install more cycle parking at Stoke Newington Station. We’ve been contacted by the Stoke Newington Common User Group (SNUG) who maintain two planters at the station, which might have to be moved or replaced with something equivalent in order to install the parking. We might join Hackney officers and SNUG in a site meeting to find a way forward.

Action: OS to participate in a potential site meeting

9. Hackney Cycling Conference

We were going to meet Hackney officers and politicians about a potential cycling conference in Bike Week in June. The idea is to showcase the success in working for cycling in Hackney. We could have several speakers or workshops, as well as a ride around the borough.

Action: TP and OS to attend initial meeting.

10. Women’s Institute cycle helmet proposition

The Women’s Insititute (WI) is proposing a resolution to support compulsory cycle helmets. We have made contact with the four WI groups in Hackney to ask them to oppose this proposed resolution. Two of them have written back requesting information on why we would oppose compulsory helmet-wearing. Gail Bristow had volunteered to engage with the issue.

Action: TP to contact Gail to discuss.

11. Any other business

Patrick Field, a long-standing member and former co-ordinator of the group, has started a new blog at http://www.owntheroad.cc.

The meeting closed at 9:40pm.

DONM: The next meeting will be on Wednesday, the 1st of February, 2012, at 7:30pm.

   Minutes of Hackney LCC meeting 11th January 2012 in PDF