London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

February 1st, 2012

Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall

Present: Siobhan Blackshaw (rides co-ordinator), Michael Cordy (treasurer), James Diamond, Tim Evans, Brian Jones, Ian Ludgate, Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Brenda Puech (events co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (secretary, minutes).

Apologies: Matt Saywell, Dick Vincent.

Agenda:

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. Sustainable Hackney map plan, introduced by James Diamond

3. Women’s Institute proposed resolution on mandatory cycle helmet use

4. Ceilidh/Burns Night recap/plans for replacement event

5. Cycling Conference on the 8th June

6. Other events

7. Rides

8. Regent’s Canal

9. Broadway Market

10. Cycle parking:

  • Stoke Newington station cycle parking
  • Hackney Central
  • Secure on-street (residential) cycle parking pilot

11. Traffic light removal in Curtain Road

12. Clissold Road bus stand scheme

13. Dalston Lane

14. Kingsland Road to Old Street right turn/exemptions in traffic orders

15. Any other business

1. Minutes and matters arising

We have made a start on a document explaining modal filtering. Action ongoing. This will be part of ‘A Vision for Hackney’.

2. Sustainable Hackney map plan, introduced by James Diamond

James Diamond introduced us to the Sustainable Hackney on-line mapping project. They were in the process of transferring the previous paper mapping information from the Big Green Map to the web-site and were wondering whether we would like to contribute, for instance by adding information on cycling or ‘taking ownership’ of this mapping layer. So far, out of 24 transport projects, 19 were cycling-related, and they were keen to split off cycling from other sustainable transport projects.

Sustainable Hackney have resources to contribute to this, as Fran Bury, Hackney Council’s Sustainability Officer, and Ian Ludgate, who is doing an MSc at King’s College, are both able to work on it. Ian is currently based at Hackney Council as an intern.

There were no funds to print maps again, and Sustainable Hackney also found that since the previous map was printed, 30-40% of projects featured had finished, so that dynamic on-line mapping is advantageous for its flexibility. There will be the option to print off the on-line map as a PDF, so that printouts will be possible.

The site is due to go live on February 20th.

Actions: IL to join mailing list and to gather contributions to the maps. JD to give willing members editing rights on the maps. BJ volunteered to contribute.

3. Women’s Institute proposed resolution on mandatory cycle helmet use

The Women’s Institute have had a draft resolution tabled (influenced by Headway) for possible discussion at their AGM later in the year. The draft resolution calls for mandatory cycle helmet use. We wrote to all four Hackney-based WI groups, and three of them got back to us (Shoreditch Sisters, N1WI, Stoke Newington WI). The Dalston Darlings did not reply. There is relatively little chance of this resolution being chosen for the AGM, but we are still keen to talk to the groups. Gail Bristow of STA Bikes has expressed interest in helping with this, as has Lucy Nandris, Hackney’s cycle training manager, on the subject of cycle training in particular.

Action: Continue to monitor the progress of the proposed resolution.

4. Ceilidh/Burns Night recap/plans for next year

Burns Night did not happen this year, for the first time in 15 years. Member Matt Saywell asked for his disappointment to be recorded at this.

We were keen to arrange another ceilidh later in the year.

We decided, if we can, to hold a replacement ceilidh on St Patrick’s Day (17th March), which is also a Saturday. We also wanted to have Irish food and Irish songs. Gary Boyd, head teacher of Southwold School, was keen to host Burns Night, so we will ask him if he can help us with the replacement event.

Actions: BP to contact Adrian and Diana about catering and she will also contact Southwold School about the date and reconnoitre the venue. TP to contact the Muckers. BP and SB to co-ordinate the event.

5. Cycling Conference on the 8th June

TP and OS recently met officers and councillors about the plan to hold a Cycling Conference this summer, with the intention of discussing the factors and policies which have resulted in our borough’s relatively high uptake of cycling compared to the rest of London and the UK. Friday 8th June has been set as the date, just before Bike Week. Possible topics include: cycle permeability, filtered permeability, 20mph, the Safe Urban Driving initiative, cycle training and promotion, and building a cycling culture. We also brainstormed about speakers that we might invite. The conference venue is likely to be the Assembly Rooms (at Hackney Town Hall) and may be called ‘Hackney – London’s Cycling Borough’.

BP suggested that we concentrate on our strengths and on home-grown rather than external speakers, and that presentations should be kept quite short, with time for questions. OS commented that we had thought we would have a core strategy type document of ‘A Vision for Hackney’ ready for the conference, which we could introduce.

The conference might also provide an opportunity for the council to highlight a new initiative, for example the announcement of a consultation on updating the Cycling Strategy, which was last revised in 2006.

BJ asked whether the conference could be streamed live. TP said that this could be done using a service such as ustream if an internet connection were available at the venue.

Actions: BJ and TP to investigate live streaming possibilities. TP and OS to liaise with Hackney officers on the format of the conference.

6. Other events

The networking evening originally planned for the 22nd February will now be held on the 29th February, at Hackney City Farm. This is a quarterly event which aims to bring all people involved in cycling in Hackney together.

7. Rides

SB is planning to do a ride on the 4th March to the Thames Barrier. It will be confirmed in due course whether this will take place.

SB also asked whether ride reports would be a good addition to the web-site. All agreed.

Action: SB to contribute ride reports.

8. Regent’s Canal—proposed parallel route and our permeability counter-proposal

TP reported that he had replied to British Waterways’ parallel route proposal in line our decision at last month’s meeting, and he read out a reply from Dick Vincent of British Waterways. Dick reported that they had put in a bid to the Greenways Fund for ‘parallel routes’ rather than just one, and that individual schemes would also be considered. We were pleased to note that this element of flexibility had been built into that funding process at our suggestion. BW were keen to influence schemes on the public highway which would lead to less inconsiderate cycling on the towpaths. We have a number of ideas on which schemes would be worthwhile and will work with BW on those.

Possible permeability schemes include Regent’s Row and Denne Terrace, although the sightlines on the Queensbridge Road bridge pose a problem with connecting these two stretches. We also continue to be very keen on the bus-and-cycle only filter on the Cat & Mutton bridge, and we consider that this would contribute to BW’s objectives. The connection between street level and the towpath at Whitmore Road could be improved, and it is not clear whether cycling is even currently legally permitted between the two. We would also welcome a scheme to help cyclists cross New North Road between Poole Street and Eagle Wharf Road.

9. Broadway Market

OS introduced the current state of the project. We received a works notice that work would start on the 13th February, but we hadn’t had any feedback from the council about our response to the consultation, and we were still keen to have a further meeting with them. Encouragingly, the drawing accompanying the works notice states that the final design of the northern junction was yet to be confirmed, and we were keen to find out what officers were still finalising.

BJ thought that the current proposals would make cycling more difficult between the market and London Fields. BP stressed the new conflict created by the proposed new curve in the carriageway at the northern junction.

After a good deal of discussion, we decided that we were keen to have another meeting with the council to discuss the design of the northern junction in particular, and possibly other issues, too.

Action: TP and OS to ask for a meeting with officers about the scheme. BP, BJ, OS, and TP volunteered to attend such a meeting.

10. Cycle parking:

  • Stoke Newington station cycle parking

There was going to be a meeting on the 2nd February to discuss this proposal, which OS was going to attend.

  • Hackney Central cycle parking

OS had drafted a reply about this, suggesting that the proposed parking be located next to the car park entrance on Amhurst Road, arranged in an arc around the Hackney Central station sign.

  • Secure on-street (residential) cycle parking pilot

There was now funding to install some on-street secure cycle parking for residents, following the lead taken by Lambeth council. We gave officers some contacts of people who had expressed an interest and look forward to this project.

11. Traffic light removal in Curtain Road

TfL is proposing to remove the pedestrian crossing signals from Curtain Road near its junction with Rivington Street. We had not commented on this scheme at the time, but Hackney Living Streets had objected strongly. There had been thirteen objections, none of them favourable, although TfL had claimed that Jennette Arnold AM had expressed support. A closer look revealed that she had in fact not done so but asked for the signalised crossing to be replaced by a zebra crossing.

BP asked whether we would support a possible action by Hackney Living Streets at this spot. TP restated our long-held objective, which was that northbound A10 motor traffic should be returned to Shoreditch High Street, and Curtain Road filtered, to form the key section of a ‘green link’ all the way from Hoxton to Liverpool Street Station. Unfortunately, TfL now appeared to have all but forgotten about their promised Phase II of the Shoreditch work. We agreed that removing the crossing was a step in the wrong direction.

12. Clissold Road bus stand

We had heard from local resident Alison Malins. She thought that too many buses (30 per day) used the bus stand and she felt that this had made cycling in the street riskier.

One of our members who lives near Clissold Road and uses it a lot had commented that she had never encountered any problems in this street.

We decided to respond that we would need stronger evidence of a problem there.

Action: TP to respond to Alison Malins.

13. Dalston Lane

A number of issues have accumulated along the stretch of Dalston Lane between the A10 and Queensbridge Road. We have always been unhappy with the recent rebuilding of the Queensbridge Road junction, and more recently the lane configuration has been altered on Dalston Lane, creating unfavourable issues for cycling. A new ban has also been introduced preventing all traffic from turning from Ashwin Street into Dalston Lane, thereby preventing cyclists from cutting off the busy and hazardous corner of Kingsland High Street and Dalston Lane.

Action: TP and OS to ask Hackney officers for a meeting on these issues.

14. Kingsland Road to Old Street right turn/exemptions in traffic orders

We decided to defer this item until the next meeting, as it was getting late.

15. Any other business

Web-site: TP was talking to a volunteer, Jasper Goss, about migrating our web-site to a content management system, probably WordPress.

Possible hustings: We have been asked by Tony Harms whether we would like to arrange a hustings this year around the GLA elections. However, we felt that we did not have the capacity this year. Action: TP to reply to Tony.

The meeting closed at 10:15pm.

DONM: Wednesday, 7th March 2012.

  Minutes of Hackney LCC meeting 1st February 2012 in PDF