Hackney LCC meeting 1st June 2011

Venue: Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall

Present: Michael Cordy (treasurer), Hassan Dean (Redbridge), Richard Lewis, Richard Lofthouse (newsletter editor), Philip Loy (Lambeth), Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (secretary, minutes), Alix Stredwick.

Apologies: None.

Agenda:

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. Application to CCFfL

3. Events

Bike Week–volunteers for stalls/rides at:

Goldsmith’s Row / City Farm Bike Day (18th June)

Cyclists’ breakfast in London Fields (22nd June)

Bike Polo try-out week-end on Hackney Downs (18th and 19th June)

Outside Bike Week–volunteers for stalls/rides at

Tour de Dalston / Cycle Sunday (12th June)

London Open Bike Polo Tournament (30th/31st July)

4. Rides

5. Schemes

Wilson Street / Paul Street / Worship Street

Goldsmith’s Row phase 2

Lea Bridge Road crossing plans (& canalside repairs)

Upcoming LIP meeting with Hackney Streetscene officers

Lee towpath surface: A hazardous new gravelly surface has apparently been laid by British Waterways.

6. Adoption of revised constitution

7. Proposed name change of LCC

8. Future use of Yahoogroups and forum

9. Any other business

1. Minutes and matters arising

Cycle Hire station in Hoxton Street: TP had now spoken to Hackney officers about this and apologised that we had previously failed to comment on this. We are keen to have the prospect of
two-way cycling maintained in Hoxton Street and will pursue the issue.

Dalston Curve route: OS reported that by all accounts our draft proposal for a different alignment of the route would not be feasible. We therefore decided not to take this further.

Launch of Britannia crossroads: OS and TP attended the launch of the new scheme. There was a good turnout of councillors and officers and photos were taken. We made the point strongly that rat-running along the east-west alignment still needs to be taken care of.

Kynaston Avenue: OS reported that there will be another event in Kynaston Avenue on the 9th June, at 3:30-6:30pm.

LIP2 response: It was reported that LB Hackney had responded very critically to LB Newham’s LIP2.

2. Application to CCFfL

AS reported that she is in the process of setting up a social enterprise called ‘Carry Me Cargo Bikes’. She thinks that there’s a market for these, especially in Hackney, and is applying for a grant from the LCC’s Community Fund for Cycling in London.

There is a new blog called http://www.cargobikeculture.blogspot.com, set up by Eva Martinez, a student at Rachel Aldred’s Cycling Cultures project. Eva is hoping to take Alix’ Yuba cargo bike around on a tour. Alix was also planning to promote the project further using postcards and other materials and is plotting family-friendly cargo bike rides.

All present expressed support for the idea, and OS mentioned possibilities for eventually creating a Cycling Centre in Hackney where all such social projects might come together.

3. Events

Bike Week-volunteers for stalls/rides at:

Goldsmith’s Row / City Farm Bike Day (18th June)

Cyclists’ breakfast in London Fields (22nd June)

Bike Polo try-out week-end on Hackney Downs (18th and 19th June)

RLe volunteered to help with both the Cyclists’ Breakfast and the Bike Day at Hackney City Farm. RLo also volunteered for the Cyclists’ Breakfast. We’ll continue to look for volunteers for
‘Riding in Circles’.

HGV Action Group: TP reported that the quarterly HGV Action Group will meet on Wednesday 15th June. Hackney’s Cabinet member for Neighbourhoods, Feryal Demirci, will be in
attendance. TP and Charlie Lloyd will be attending, too.

Outside Bike Week–volunteers for stalls/rides at

Tour de Dalston / Cycle Sunday (12th June)

OS will attend this to speak on transport planning in Hackney. There were no volunteers at the meeting, so we’ll ask via other channels.

London Open Bike Polo Tournament (30th/31st July)

OS will be there all day. There were no volunteers at the meeting, so we’ll ask via other channels.

4. Rides

There were no planned rides at this time that we knew of, apart from those in Bike Week.

5. Schemes

Broadway Market: RLe reported back on a meeting with Hackney officers on Broadway Market. Brenda went along, as well. We stressed the need for priority for the Market Porters’ Route
alignment, narrowing the carriageway to allow only essential motor traffic and to have wide footways to give the impression of a pedestrian space, with only loading bays for shops as
appropriate. RLe suggested a tarmac surface in order for it to be hard-wearing, to designate that it is still a cycle route, not only a pedestrianised street.

We also re-iterated our suggestion that there should be a bus-and-cycle-only filter on the Cat & Mutton Bridge, and spoke to the Broadway Market Traders’ and Residents’ Association (BMTRA)
about their ambitions for the space. The market wants to expand to Friday and we suggested installing a good by-pass, or by-passes on both sides of Broadway Market (this would also address
permeability issues on Saturday, where people cycling through the market remains a problem).

Action: RLe to draft a summary of issues. TP and OS to help with turning it into a finished report. We will submit this to Hackney so that they know in detail what we think. The issues around Broadway Market are quite complex and deserve a good write-up.

Wilson Street / Paul Street / Worship Street:TP reported on a meeting he and OS had with Hackney officers on this potential scheme. We discussed parameters of the project to turn this into a shared-space scheme with a cycle route and trees. We also suggested turning the junction into a nice ‘gateway feature’, perhaps circular, funding permitting.

Goldsmith’s Row phase 2

TP and OS had discussed the next phase with officers at a site meeting. They proposed extending the footway on the Tower Hamlets side, to create landmark features, to extend Haggerston Park at the northern end, and to slightly vary the modal filter at the southern end.

Beyond this scheme, we also spoke about next steps at the junction at the southern end. They said they would explore ideas and get back to us. Possibilities include realigning the junction mouth to be more in line with Ion Square and then to have the main signalised junction at this point. This would then mean a much more convenient route into Columbia Road and could make it possible for Hackney City Farm to be extended to Hackney Road. Hackney had also spoken to Tower Hamlets and said that they were supportive.

OS also spoke to Chris Pounds, the manager of Hackney City Farm, about this. Chris mentioned that there were some problems with long vehicles turning outside the farm, which is something that
we had also observed. We’ll pass this on to officers.

Lea Bridge Road crossing plans (& canalside repairs)

We noted and very much welcomed that LB Hackney is now willing to site a toucan crossing near the Lea Bridge. This is a long-standing suggestion of ours. The recent canalside repairs have
caused considerable inconvenience to towpath users.

Upcoming LIP meeting with Hackney Streetscene officers

TP and OS will attend this meeting and called for other volunteers to come along. RLo expressed interest but was not going to be able to make it.

Lee towpath surface: A hazardous new gravelly surface has apparently been laid by British Waterways.

There was some discussion of this, but we were not completely clear where this was and how bad it really was. We will look into it and gather more information.

6. Adoption of revised constitution

We deferred this item to the next meeting, as we did not have printed copies of the proposed revised constitution (and the old one) available.

7. Proposed name change of LCC

We discussed developments since our resolution in principle at the last meeting. Several other local groups had adopted similar resolutions in the meantime, and a motion (along similar lines)
to the LCC AGM had been proposed. Feedback on our mailing list had been overwhelmingly in favour of the resolution (about 16 in favour and one against), and we therefore decided to confirm the
resolution as formed at the last meeting:

The London Cycling Campaign in Hackney resolves to call on the LCC’s Board of Trustees to suspend their decision on whether or not to change the organisation’s name until a proper consultation process has been carried out.

Furthermore, members present also all agreed with a suggestion to defer the debate about the name until after the 2012 campaign is over.

8. Future use of mailing lists and forum

We only spoke about this briefly and decided to defer the full discussion to the next meeting.

9. Any other business

There being no other business, the meeting closed at 10pm.

Date of next meeting: 6th July, 2011, 7:30pm.

Minutes of Hackney LCC meeting 1st June 2011 in PDF