London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, May 1st , 2013, 7:30pm

Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall

Present: Siobhan Blackshaw (rides co-ordinator), Kate Charteris, Tim Evans, David Harris (treasurer and local news editor), Richard Lufkin, Jon Parker, Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Brenda Puech (events co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (secretary, minutes), Barbara Toscani.

Apologies: Marian Farrugia, David Lukes (Sustainability Officer), Chas Wilshere.

Agenda:

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. 2013 Budget

3. Hackney Cycling Showcase

4. Hackney Cycling Conference

5. Dunwich Dynamo catering at Sible Hedingham

6. Pembury junction and the filtering of Spurstowe Terrace/Marcon Place

7. Hackney Council response to Andrew Gilligan

8. Vision for Shoreditch

9. Missing ‘Except cycles’ signs

10. Broadway Market awareness-raising

11. Rides

12. Any other business

Action Summary:

Item

Action

Who

MA: Olympic Park bye-laws

Write to Mayor Pipe to express approval about the trial and concern about the draft bye-laws.

TP

MA: Morning Lane/Mare Street junction

Take video of the situation to back up our case and to write to the Council with the video.

TP

MA: Local Groups Forum Thursday 9th May

Attendance at meeting.

TP

MA: Recovery of 150 stolen bikes and 100 bike parts by Hackney police

Write to Hackney Police (Leabridge SNT) with vote of congratulations.

OS

MA: London Fields West Side

Write to Hackney Homes recommending tactile paint strips outside garden doors on London Fields West Side. Action carried over.

BP

3. Hackney Cycling Showcase

Ask the London Hardcourt Bike Polo Association to demonstrate bike polo on the day.

OS

5. Dunwich Dynamo catering at Sible Hedingham

Co-ordinate feed stop catering on the 20th/21st July.

OS, BP

6. Pembury junction and the filtering of Spurstowe Terrace/Marcon Place

Organise deputation to the Council to stop the rat-running.

JP

8. Vision for Shoreditch

Circulate current draft to RLu.

OS

9. Missing ‘Except cycles’ signs

Prepare a map with known locations where ‘Except cycles’ signs are missing. Create a hashtag on Twitter to get people to send us suggestions of where else they are missing. Possibly start using Cyclescape.

TP

10. Broadway Market awareness-raising

Co-ordinate the event on the 18th May and send a message to the list asking for volunteers.

OS

1. Minutes and matters arising

Olympic Park bye-laws: We had heard that there would be a trial to keep the Olympic Park open at night. Action: TP to write to Jules Pipe to state that we are pleased about the trial and our concern about the bye-laws.

Hackney Central: A trial to re-route buses around the Hackney Central triangle was going ahead. OS had attended a meeting with Hackney officers about the initial plans. They were working to a tight timescale and said that they would keep us in the loop.

Shepherdess Walk/Bath Street crossing of City Road: JP reported that there was going to be a contraflow lane on Bath Street and that crossing City Road would be made easier. We had contacted Islington officers, too, but had not heard back.

Hackney Marshes: TE reported that the consultation on events was closed and that if the Council were to put in an application to the Planning Inspectorate to permit up to three major events on the Marshes per year, he proposed that the group should formally object. We voted on whether to support such an events application, whether to argue that conditions on maintaining access should be imposed, or whether we should object to a proposal along these lines in its entirety because we did not believe that access would be safeguarded even with planning conditions. We resolved by seven votes to three to object to an application to the Planning Inspectorate should one be submitted.

HGV campaign: TP had spoken to Charlie Lloyd and encouraged him to get in touch with the Mayor’s office about a meeting (which had been offered) to progress the campaign. Hackney’s two main worries were legal issues about the procurement process, and the cost of retiring older lorries which did not meet the required standards. TfL was going to issue new guidance to boroughs.

Morning Lane/Mare Street junction: TP had not written to the Council about this yet as he wanted to take video of the situation to back up our case. Action: TP.

Local Groups Forum Thursday 9th May: RLu was no longer able to go to this. TP was going to replace him. Action: TP.

London Cycling Awards nominations: Two of our nominations, the Tyssen Whole School Cycling Project and the Bike Around the Borough event had been shortlisted for awards. Local resident Jenni Gwiazdowski of the London Bike Kitchen had also been shortlisted for best cycling champion.

Recovery of 150 stolen bikes and 100 by Hackney police: OS suggested recording a vote of congratulations. The meeting agreed. Action: OS to write to Hackney police.

London Fields West Side: BP had not yet written about the measures we recommended for this stretch of estate street. She reported loud arguments between cyclists and residents. Action: BP (carried over).

2. 2013/14 Budget

DH presented the draft budget for 2013/14. He had accounted for 2012/13 expenditure. The draft budget was conservative on the income side. He recommended expenditure of £1,750 and reserves at the end of the year of £850. We approved a £500 grant for the Hackney Bike Workshop for 2013/14, following on from the same amount in 2012/13.

KC summarised the financial position of the workshop. TP asked about the formal status of the workshop. KC said that the workshop would like to remain part of the LCC in Hackney. DH suggested that the workshop could decide on its future status in the process of revamping its constitution. SB said that it was vital for the workshop to remain part of the LCC as their events used our public liability insurance. TP suggested that the workshop might be able to become one of the LCC’s first non-local group groups.

OS mentioned that we were going to do another fundraising event by catering at the Dunwich Dynamo. As we did not yet have a clear idea how much this would raise, we did not budget for it. DH said that he would update the group on the budget regularly.

TP raised another item of expenditure for vehicle storage.

We moved to accept the draft budget.

3. Hackney Cycling Showcase

KC had prepared an outline plan for this event, featuring a timescale, possible participants and contributors, as well as elements of the event. We were keen to hold it on the 15th of June and needed to act quickly to get all the participants on board and apply for permission to hold the event.

RLu suggested forming a co-ordinating group. BP, RLu, SB, TP, and KC volunteered.

The agreed budget of £500 would cover both the showcase and the cyclists’ breakfast.

We were going to have a stall at the event.

Hackney Bike Workshop were going to have a drop-in session.

OS suggested seeking to hold a bike polo demonstration as part of the day.

Action: OS to ask the London Hardcourt Bike Polo Association to demonstrate bike polo on the day.

4. Hackney Cycling Conference

OS announced more details of the conference, which was going to be on the 6th of June at the Hackney Assembly Rooms. The invites were going to go out shortly. TP and OS were due to speak.

5. Dunwich Dynamo catering at Sible Hedingham

We had been offered the opportunity to take over catering at the feed stop in Sible Hedingham on the Dunwich Dynamo bike ride. We discussed details.

Action: BP and OS to lead and to send out a call for volunteers.

6. Pembury junction and the filtering of Spurstowe Terrace/Marcon Place

JP spoke about the recent building works under the bridge, which had temporarily blocked this small local rat-run. He had only lived there for two weeks but had spoken to various residents who had agreed that rat-running was a problem. He proposed organising a deputation of residents. The group agreed that we would support such a proposal. OS suggested speaking to businesses located in the streets affected. TP suggested consulting the Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Tenants’ and Residents’ Association.

We discussed possible layouts for the main Pembury junction. The Council had produced an outline option drawing a few years ago. This was not yet quite satisfactory owing to banned turns and problematic lane layouts in the draft design, but was a good step in the right direction.

Action: JP to organise deputation.

7. Hackney Council response to Andrew Gilligan

TP summarised Hackney’s response to the call for ideas from London’s new Cycling Commissioner. We were delighted that they had included a large number of our ideas in the submission. We were going to send them some comments on minor points.

8. Vision for Shoreditch

OS called for collaborators to our emerging ‘Vision for Shoreditch’, which was an expansion of our previous comments on the Shoreditch Space and Place Shaping Plan, whose area included only a part of Shoreditch. The new ‘Vision’ comprised Hoxton, Shoreditch, and Haggerston. RLu volunteered.

Action: OS to circulate the draft to RLu.

9. Missing ‘Except cycles’ signs

TP said that he had noticed a lot of missing ‘Except cycles’ signs. He suggested creating a hashtag on Twitter to get people to send us suggestions of where they are missing. We could also use Cyclescape for this as a tool.

Action: TP to prepare a map with locations we already know about and to kickstart a mini-campaign around this.

10. Broadway Market awareness-raising

OS asked for new dates that people could make, as the previously set date had proved impossible. We settled on the 18th May. We agreed that we would start at 7:45am.

KC suggested having adverts for the Hackney Cycling Showcase on the reverse of any leaflets we hand out.

BP and DH volunteered.

Action: OS to co-ordinate and to send a message to the list.

11. Rides

SB was putting together a rides programme with Tower Hamlets Wheelers. She had so far planned two rides:

19th May: Royal Victoria Dock, to The Crystal Sustainable Cities Exhibition (free admission).

9th June: SB was contemplating a ride to Markfield Park with its Beam Engine.

12. Any other business

KC asked about T-shirts. The LCC had T-shirts that we could sell at events.

Bike the Bounds was going to be on Saturday the 22nd June to avoid clashing with the Cycling Showcase. The Cyclists’ Breakfast was going to be on Wednesday the 19th June.

Date of next meeting: Wednesday, June 5th, 2013, 7:30pm.

   Minutes of Hackney LCC meeting 1st May 2013 in PDF