Hackney LCC meeting 2nd February 2011

 

London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011

Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall

Present: Michael Cordy (treasurer), Patrick Field, Harry Hewitt, Siobhan Owens (joint events co-ordinator), Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Diana Pinkett, Brenda Puech (joint events co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (secretary, minutes), Adrian Smith, Gerhard Weiss (LCC Cycling Development Officer and Waltham Forest Cyclists), Danny Williams (Cyclists in the City).

Apologies: Richard Lewis.

Agenda:

  1. City LIP2
  1. Hackney LIP2
  1. Cycle Hire scheme extension
  1. East Marsh Bridge application
  1. Olympic group meeting
  1. Other consultations
  1. Burns Night debrief
  1. Bike Week
  1. Other events
  1. Any Other Business

***

  1. City LIP2

DW briefed us on the City LIP2. Unfortunately, it included scant consideration for cycling. Much of the money was spent on major schemes and there was a fear that they might be designed like the new scheme on Cheapside, which has created a very narrow carriageway where cyclists cannot pass motor vehicles.

Cyclists in the City (CitC) had launched a letter-writing campaign, which had up to this point generated about 80 letters, and met John Biggs, London Assembly member for the City. John Biggs said it was the biggest letter-writing campaign that he had seen.

The deadline for comments is the 21st February. The LIP is due to be finalised by April. DW encouraged Hackney cyclists to write in with comments. CitC had produced a template with information about the LIP to enable people to compose their own responses.

Action: DW to circulate an e-mail to the Hackney list to encourage people to respond.

  1. Hackney LIP2

OS introduced the draft Hackney LIP2. Overall, we are very happy with the schemes already identified in it. It reflects many of our existing priorities, and the meeting resolved to congratulate the Council, officers and members, on the draft LIP. We look forward to engaging with the Council and will be submitting a detailed response during the consultation phase as well as attending a stakeholder workshop.

Many of the schemes address high priority locations on which we have done work with the Council in the past, such as the St John’s junction (Pitfield Street/New North Road/Fanshaw Street/Bevenden Street), the revisiting of the Whiston Road/Pritchard’s Road/Goldsmith’s Row junction, the Powerscroft Road scheme, the Leonard Circus proposal, the Green Lanes/Stoke Newington Church Street junction review, upgrading the Greenwood Road/Navarino Road contraflows, work on cycle parking, and Broadway Market, including the junction with Lansdowne Drive and Westgate Street.

We will also strongly support the Council in discussions with TfL on the big project of returning the Stoke Newington gyratory to two-way operation and in the upcoming, related work on the Cycle Superhighway.


Among points discussed, we will stress that it is crucial for the success of the estate lockers to be installed that a good management regime be put in place. We will also raise the question of potentially including more projects east of Mare Street, for instance Well Street/Valentine Road two-way cycling. We would also like to see some more work on ‘quick win’ permeability schemes, and will include our policy recommendation to alter the approach to 20mph from zones to limits not just restricted to residential areas, in accordance with Manual for Streets 2.

The consultation deadline is not yet known, but we will comment as soon as possible.

Action: OS to write to the Council with congratulations. All to help with composing a response.

  1. Cycle Hire scheme extension

Trevor introduced the proposals for new cycle hire station locations as part of the Cycle Hire scheme extension. He had scrutinised the proposed locations and found that most of them were well-chosen. Only one proposal, for Broadway Market, should be moved to another location, as it would not be suitable to have a hire station in the middle of the market on Saturdays (particularly if the market, as is planned, expanded south to encompass the area between Ada Street and Andrews Road. The hire station should therefore be south of the market, perhaps in Regent’s Row. We also resolved to comment that hire stations should be placed in the carriageway and not the footway.

Action: TP and OS to compose a response.

  1. East Marsh Bridge application

This is a proposal for a new bridge across the River Lea which will have an adverse impact on the natural environment, in particular the riverside path but will not have a clear benefit. We resolved to object to this application.

Action: Tim Evans and OS to compose a response to the planning application.

  1. Olympic group meeting

This was the second meeting in this series. The first meeting had taken place in 2009, and it was welcome for it to be reconvened. One of the positive outcomes of that meeting had been a decision on a general 20mph speed limit in the Olympic Park. The meeting considered many of the cycling aspects of the Olympic Park. It was also attended by the Olympic Park Legacy Company, a new Urban Development Company which will take charge of the legacy.

We successfully pushed for a meeting to be had with Cycling England to review cycle provision in the Olympic Park, which will take place soon.

We talked about Ruckholt Road and re-emphasised our desire to have this street revamped. Waterden Road is being built to a poor specification and it would be ideal to have lane widths changed there, but it looks as if scope is limited. Overall, there are some opportunities to further influence the design of the Olympic Park, but that most of the big decisions have already been made.

  1. Other consultations

OS raised the issue that he thought the engineering mailing list was not generating too many comments and input and that he would really welcome more participation.

  1. Burns Night debrief

We reviewed Burns Night. MC has done a preliminary calculation of the finances and will present the final version soon. It looks as if we raised around £1,450, of which half will be donated to the LCC’s ‘No more lethal lorries’ campaign. We will do a cheque handover photo opportunity.

The proceeds from the raffle had been donated to Pedal Power, the cycling club for people with learning disabilities. Jo Roach of Pedal Power asked for the club’s thanks to be recorded.

We agreed that this was a very good Burns Night, at which only a few things didn’t go as smoothly as they could have gone. John Campbell’s compering was commended by all and we hope to have him back next year. The food attracted praise, and we thought about offering more and different food. People commented that they wanted fewer carrots.

We were surprised by the demand for drinks, and the bar ran out very quickly, so that we had to restock twice. We have to draw up plans in case someone drops out, listing all the tasks that people normally do. There was some confusion about who should do the toast to the laddies. We ran slightly late with the presentations. Some of the dances needed simplification. Tim also had to go to the school on his own to take care of bottle recycling. This needs to be organised better.

Here’s to next year!

  1. Bike Week

We talked briefly about Bike Week and alerted everyone to the dates: 18th-26th of June. The 22nd will be our cyclists’ breakfast. The Bike the Bounds ride will be on Saturday the 18th of June. We decided to spread other events across the borough, to join Tower Hamlets Wheelers events, and also did some brainstorming on other possible events: grass-track racing with CCH, perhaps in Well Street Common, a puncture repair race, perhaps a hardcourt bike polo tournament with a strong demonstration component, so that people can play for the first time, a slow bicycle race, or a bike tryout track. There were lots of ideas and a lot of appetite for organising a lot of things in Bike Week.

Actions: BP and SO to lead on event co-ordination. OS to sound out the polo people on whether they might be interested in a Bike Week polo tournament.

  1. Other events

We thought about postcode socials again. The one in N16 worked very well a few years ago, but we never followed it up.

The Thames Barrier ride will take place on the 13th of March, starting in London Fields.

  1. Any Other Business

GW announced that there is to be a big push on the ‘No more lethal lorries’ campaign in March.

There being no further business, the meeting closed at 10:03pm.

Date of the next meeting: Wednesday, 2nd March, 2011.

Minutes of Hackney LCC meeting 2nd February 2011 in PDF