Hackney LCC meeting 3 September 2008

Venue:

Marcon Court Estate Community Hall

Members present:

Nell Cameron, David Farnham, Richard Lewis, Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator, chair), Brenda Puech (treasurer), Oliver Schick (minutes).

Apologies received from:
Anna Kidd (secretary).

Topics discussed:

1. Matters arising
2. Team Hackney funding
3. Footway cycling
4. 20mph
5. Events
6. Parking bay action
7. Streetscene liaison
8. Any other business

1. Matters arising
In item 4 on our August meeting agenda, the new charge is ‘death by careless driving, not ‘death by dangerous driving’, which is an existing charge.

The meeting noted that the Tour de Hackney was a very successful event. Thanks go to Hackney Streetscene, Shoreditch Festival, and a large number of volunteers. Recruiting volunteers turned out to be a major undertaking for the LCC office, very ambitious for the first time.

Action to investigate whether we can send our reports about the condition of the road surface to the coroner carried over, as Charlie Lloyd was absent.

The meeting noted that the Charlotte Road in-carriageway cycle parking has been completed.

The response on the Tesco planning application has been submitted and was commended by the meeting.

Back to the top

2. Team Hackney funding
David reported that Hackney have a pot of £2.5m available for local groups to bid for (from Government ‘Greener, Cleaner, Safer’ funding). David suggested to select a couple of public realm schemes. Questions were raised as to the exact criteria. Deadline 29th September. The meeting agreed that any schemes submitted should follow the group’s established campaign aims. Trevor pointed out that it was important to identify in advance who would implement the schemes.

Actions: David to forward funding criteria to the list and Trevor, David, Nell, and Richard to form a working group to work up bids and to meet before the 29th September deadline/October meeting.

Back to the top

3. Footway cycling
The meeting noted that one of the police’s regular enforcement actions in Stoke Newington was reported in the Gazette. It attracted a reader’s letter and a reply from the group. The group noted that infrequent enforcement action was an ineffective tactic that was not likely to reduce footway cycling, and that Government advice on issuing Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs) was to only use it in case of inconsiderate cycling. In Stoke Newington, £30 FPNs were handed out to 31 people in 90 minutes, which makes it sound unlikely that all of these addressed inconsiderate cycling.

Back to the top

4. 20mph
The group wrote to Cllr Alan Laing (cabinet member for Neighbourhoods) suggesting a meeting on 20mph. We are awaiting a reply. The meeting resolved to invite him to the October meeting if possible, or another meeting if he can’t make this one.

Actions: Trevor to invite Alan.

Back to the top

5. Events
This section of the meeting was set aside to discuss various upcoming events.

5.1 Freewheel (21st September)
Actions: The meeting resolved to have a main ride from Clissold Park to Victoria Park via Hackney Town Hall, with several pick-up points. Richard to speak to Charlie whether it is still possible to advertise an extended route and other organisational minutiae. Richard to speak to Sally about possible STA involvement in the feeder ride (STA did their own ride last year.)

5.2 Burns Night
Decided that 24th January will be the date of Burns Night.
Action: Trevor to ask Sally to speak to Sir Thomas Abney school about booking it for the evening.

5.3 Cyclists’ Sunday Picnic (7 September)
Two people have volunteered to work on an LCCiH stall on the day (1pm-5pm). We still need more maps and membership leaflets.
Action: Richard to bring stall. Oliver to help him pilot the rickshaw. Nell to help set up.

Back to the top

6. Parking bay action
We won’t be able to do this on Car-Free Day, but perhaps a week later (29th September). Brenda suggested doing it in both Stoke Newington and Dalston. We discussed logistics and co-operation with Hackney Living Streets. The event would last four hours or so. Trevor advised that it should be done where it feels unjustified that car parking is provided. One way of doing it would be to apply to have some parking bays suspended, as we did for the A10 Pitstop. Actions: Brenda to do a recce in Dalston and Stoke Newington and perhaps talk to Space Hijackers. Oliver to forward e-mail about Carerot Mob.

Back to the top

7. Streetscene liaison
This section of the meeting was set aside to discuss various proposed street improvements.

5.1 New North Road bus lane proposal
A scheme has been put forward by London Buses to add an extra northbound lane to operate as a bus lane during peak hours Monday to Friday. Reviewing the new proposed scheme, the group found that it would greatly increase motor vehicle capacity outside of the very limited bus lane operation hours envisaged (7-10am, 4-7pm Mon-Fri), when it would effectively create two narrow lanes for motor traffic that would squeeze cyclists out. It would create a large amount of new road markings. The meeting felt that this would increase motor vehicle users’ tendency to speed straight ahead. It would be better to ‘de-engineer’ this street and to implement the above-mentioned crossing. This would create two 4.5m-wide traffic lanes, which would be perfect lanes for motor vehicle users and cycle users to share. While 3m is the next acceptable bus lane width, it is definitely much less advantageous than 4.5m.

In discussion it emerged that traffic signals at the Eagle Wharf Road/New North Road/Poole Street junction have been vetoed by TfL Network Assurance, making a London Cycling Design Standards (LCDS) compliant London Cycle Network Plus (LCN+) crossing of Route 16 (Link 67) here impossible.

Action: Trevor and Oliver to submit response.

5.2 Riverside Close
More complaints have been recorded at Riverside Close about cycle traffic along the river cycle path. Trevor is due to meet Andy Bourke of Hackney Streetscene and a resident on site next week. The group supports well-designed, widely spaced staggered gates.

5.3 Britannia junction
The meeting noted that a response was imminently to be submitted.

5.4 Lansdowne Drive / Westgate Street / Broadway Market / London Fields junction
Brenda sent in a response about this location, which Streetscene replied to in favourable terms.

5.5 Blackstone Estate
Brenda reported that for some time now there has been a problem with cyclists speeding along London Fields West Side too close to residents’ gates, which has resulted in some near misses. Various suggestions were discussed.

Back to the top

8. Any other business
None. The meeting closed at 10:05pm.

Back to the top

Next meeting
Wednesday 1 October 2008, same venue.