Hackney LCC meeting 3rd April 2013

London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, April 3rd , 2013, 7:30pm

Pembury Tavern (regular meeting venue was unavailable)

Present: Kate Charteris, Jono Kenyon, Richard Lufkin, Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Brenda Puech (events co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (secretary, minutes), Chas Wilshere.

Apologies: Siobhan Blackshaw (rides co-ordinator), Gail Bristow, Katie Hanson, David Harris (treasurer and local news editor), Richard Lewis (newsletter editor and streetscape design adviser), Jon Parker.

Agenda:

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. Green Lanes

3. Morning Lane/Mare Street junction

4. Report back from Canal & River Trust Workshop

5. Local Groups Forum Thursday 9 May

6. Revamp of the ‘In Your Area’ section of the LCC web-site

7. London Cycling Awards nominations

8. Arson attacks on Bike Yard East and Cycle Pit Stop

9. Rides

10. Broadway Market awareness-raising

11. London Fields Cycling Showcase (Bike Week)

12. Other events

13. Any other business

1. Minutes and matters arising

Old Street/City Road junction: We had not yet been able to progress this work, but it will be a priority.

Development Management Plan: It looked as if OS and Richard Lewis would not have time for this in the foreseeable future. We might pick it up again when we have time.

Homerton High Street/Ponsford Street junction: We had heard that TfL had come back to Hackney with a design featuring straight pedestrian crossings, which we welcomed.

Police use of unclaimed bikes: Action carried over.

Olympic Park bye-laws: We hadn’t heard back about what happened to the Olympic bye-laws consultation. We had heard a rumour that the OPLC were considering closing the park at night. Action: RLu to ask Jonathan McShane about it.

Budget: We discussed the possibility of getting a Virtual Private Server on Mythic Beasts, who support Cambridge Cycling Campaign and donate space to CycleStreets.net.

Cycle Safety Working Group: We had pursued the question of why all the cyclists in the ad campaign wore cycle helmets. TP would bring it up again at the next Working Group. Action: TP.

Hackney Central: We were going to meet Hackney about this scheme fairly soon.

Cycling in Parks: Hackney had produced a draft banner to promote considerate cycling in parks, particularly London Fields and Goldsmith’s Row, where numbers were already very high.

Whiston Road: Mohan de Benoit was meeting Hackney officers on increasing cycling among residents on the Whiston Estate.

Hackney Marshes: We had heard back from Hackney that they were not at present pursuing a scheme on Hackney Marshes, near Marshgate Bridge. JK pointed out that there was a petition on-line to object to Hackney’s proposal to permit up to three major events on the Marshes every year.

HGV campaign: Hackney had not signed the pledge in time for the LCC’s deadline for campaigning events. They do want to sign it but only if they are certain that they can deliver. Points of detail still need to be resolved. We were going to speak to Charlie Lloyd about further progress with the campaign. Action: TP to speak to Charlie.

2. Green Lanes

A member had contacted us about cycling conditions on Green Lanes. We agreed that there needed to be improvements, ideally as part of a street-long review to even out street conditions along the whole length there. We are also proposing this approach for other main streets, such as Southgate Road or Queensbridge Road.

3. Morning Lane/Mare Street junction

It has been an issue for years that the southbound approach to this junction is a split-phase arrangement with a left-turn only lane that irritates many cyclists. We resolved to request that Hackney Council review the arrangement there. Options would include reducing the number of southbound approach lanes to one or re-designating the left-turn only lane as left-turn and ahead, and to change the signal phases accordingly. Lane reduction was unlikely unless there was progress with modally filtering Amhurst Road and Mare Street between Brett Road and Graham Road as per the option in the Hackney Central Area Action Plan.

Action: TP to write to Hackney with the request.

4. Report back from Canal & River Trust Workshop

TP reported back from this workshop, which had also been attended by OS and RLu, as well as Hackney officers. We had worked with a large map to establish a possibility of filtering the area around the canal in the first instance, and the wider area as a possible continuation of the project. We hope that this work can be taken forward further. The ambition to filter the area goes back to Bob Castelijn’s suggestion of an Urban Safety Management Scheme as part of the Cycle Route Implementation Stakeholder Plans (CRISPs) for Routes 9 (Link 68 in Hackney) and 8 (Link 250 in Hackney).

5. Local Groups Forum Thursday 9 May

This session of the Local Groups Forum was going to be dedicated to planning the 2014 ward-based campaign. RLu volunteered to be our representative at the meeting.

Action: RLu to go.

6. Revamp of the ‘In Your Area’ section of the LCC web-site

We had been asked to provide information to update this area of the LCC web-site. TP called for contributions.

Action: TP to compile the information we already have and to send it to the list for further additions.

7. London Cycling Awards nominations

We decided to nominate people or projects for awards in five categories.

Best Cycling Champion: Feryal Demirci

Best Community Cycling Project: Hackney Bike Workshop

Best Workplace Initiative: Hackney Council’s workplace cycling scheme. 18% of staff were cycling to work.

School Cycling Project: Tyssen School

Best London Cycling Initiative: Goldsmith’s Row Phase II

Nominations open from the 4th of April to the 16th of April, and public voting in five of the ten categories will be from the 19th of April to the 1st of May.

Action: OS and TP to work up well-presented nominations.

8. Arson attacks on Bike Yard East and Cycle Pit Stop

We noted with regret the recent arson attacks on these small and local bike repair shops. No culprits had been identified. Bike Yard East had already reopened, but Cycle Pit Stop had not owing to not having insurance. We discussed the possibility of helping to raise funds or making a donation, but felt that we would not be in a position to do so.

9. Rides

CW and three others went on the latest ride to Stave Hill in Rotherhithe, organised by Siobhan Blackshaw, and then on to the goat race in Spitalfields. A good time was had by all.

10. Broadway Market awareness-raising

OS explained leaflet design ideas for this event, which was going to take place the following Saturday. Alex Cooper and Mohan de Benoit had already volunteered, and BP volunteered at the meeting.

Action: OS to lead on event, as before.

11. London Fields Cycling Showcase (Bike Week)

KC and RLu presented a proposal for a showcase of Hackney cycling in London Fields.

TP said that we should speak to the London Fields User Group first. BP agreed and said that concerns about the event would be restrictions on the use of the park, noise, public toilets, or duration. She also said that if we were going to play music, as KC suggested, we should also make clear that this was not primarily a music event, as this could cause alarm in the local community. Previous music events had seen violence, including a fatal shooting.

KC said it didn’t have to be London Fields, but that other spaces could also be considered. RLu suggested Haggerston Park or Shoreditch Park. All agreed that London Fields would be the best option, as it would be the most high-profile place, and that Haggerston Park should be the first alternative.

OS said that bike polo should also be considered. For this, we should choose a park where there is hardstanding suitable for hardcourt polo. This was the case in London Fields, where there is a new Multi-Use Games Area (MUGA) suitable for polo.

We decided to go with a date of first preference of 15th June and 8th June as a second preference. If this event was going to be on the 15th, we discussed how the Bike the Bounds ride could be tied into it, or whether it should be on a different date.

Actions: RLu to ask Jonathan McShane which park would be most suitable. KC and RLu to continue taking this forward.

12. Other events

There were no other events to note.

13. Any other business

London Fields West Side: BP asked about what recommendation to make on this stretch alongside the Blackstone Estate. TP explained our suggestion of protruding paint strips outside residents’ gates, which would keep cyclists well away from garden entrances.

The meeting closed at 10:30pm.

Date of next meeting: Wednesday, 1st May, 2013, 7:30pm.

   Minutes of Hackney LCC meeting 3rd April 2013 in PDF