Hackney LCC meeting 3rd August 2011

London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, 3rd August, 2011

Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall

Present: Katy Andrews, Roger Blake, Gail Bristow, Michael Cordy (treasurer), Tim Evans, Charlie Lloyd, Siobhan Owens (joint events co-ordinator), Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Brenda Puech (joint events co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (secretary, minutes), Chas Wilshere.

Apologies: Katie Hanson, Sally Haywill.

Agenda:

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. Millfields Black Path work

3. Broadway Market

4. Route from Hackney Marshes to Leyton Marshes

5. Stoke Newington Sainsbury’s pre-application consultation

6. Stoke Newington gyratory consultation outcome

7. ‘A Vision for Hackney’

8. Storing our vehicles and stall materials, etc.

9. Constitution

10. Setting the date for the next Annual Meeting

11. Rides

12. Events

13. Any other business

1. Minutes and matters arising

It was noted that Richard Lewis had not yet made progress with writing up our views on Broadway Market. We decided to try and incorporate this into our ‘Vision for Hackney’ document as a first test writing exercise.

2. Millfields Black Path work

Tim has been doing some work with LBH on improving conditions around Millfields. He introduced the item by noting that there was a perceived increase in cycling pressure in South Millfields on the Black Path. Some simple but important improvements are envisaged, such as making the path fully shared-use, removing the puddle at the Powerscroft Road junction, and decluttering of the park. There was some discussion about what and how many signs were required. The existing signs, while giving the right message, had not been very effective, being poorly visible.

Tim also suggested holding a breakfast in South Millfields, for both residents and cyclists. We decided to support the breakfast.

Action: TE and BP to co-ordinate the breakfast.

3. Broadway Market

BP reported back on recent meetings at and about Broadway Market. There had been a site meeting with Hackney Streetscene, which she and Richard Lewis had attended. They stressed the importance of revamping the junction at Broadway Market, Lansdowne Drive, Westgate Street, and London Fields.

BP and OS later attended a meeting of the Broadway Market Traders’ and Residents’ association and reported back. There had been a good deal of support for the proposed changes, with some at the meeting still somewhat uncertain. Further discussion will no doubt increase understanding of the plans.

BP suggested that Colin Priest, who did a consultation on Stoke Newington fire station, could be asked to facilitate a similar consultation on Broadway Market.

We also hoped to do a shoppers’ survey together with the BMTRA.

Actions: BP to write to the BMTRA to suggest doing a joint shoppers’ survey. TP to investigate shoppers’ survey methodologies. OS and BP to start writing up our vision of Broadway Market.

4. Route from Hackney Marshes to Leyton Marshes

KA explained new proposals to change a right of way from Hackney Marshes to Leyton Marshes. She said that there was a danger that public access between the Friends’ Bridge and Marsh Lane Footbridge might be lost in the longer term.

Action: KA to keep the group informed about future action that may be required.

5. Stoke Newington Sainsbury’s pre-application consultation

A lot of discussion of this controversial development has already taken place. We discussed it in detail with a particular emphasis on transport issues. One was the turnover of the current publicly-managed car park and its predominant pattern of long-stay commuter car parking. Sainsbury’s are likely to want short-stay shopper car parking, so that their proposed car park would have a very different function from the existing car park. Access arrangements to this car park from Stoke Newington High Street are likely to be a flashpoint. In order to facilitate this, the applicants are proposing to demolish frontage in a conservation area along Stoke Newington High Street for much wider vehicular access. No pedestrian access to the supermarket via Wilmer Place is proposed, but servicing by large 11-tonne rigid lorries would take place along Wilmer Place.

Action: We resolved to discuss the issue with the Stokey Local initiative and to comment on the application when it is submitted.

6. Stoke Newington gyratory consultation outcome

The results of the public consultation run by Hackney Streetscene that came out recently were very positive in favour of returning the local streets to two-way operation. The issue was likely to be discussed at the Stoke Newington Forum on the 31st October.

Actions: TP and OS to contact publications about the consultation outcome. OS to contact the Stoke Newington Business Association. TP and OS to update the Stoke Newington Two-way web-site and TP and CL to collaborate on a blog post for the LCC web-site.

7. ‘A Vision for Hackney’

OS suggested drawing up a comprehensive ‘Vision for Hackney’ to communicate our ideas. A lot of what we have campaigned for for years was about to be done, and now it was important that we present our comprehensive thinking on Hackney in an easily accessible format. The meeting agreed that this was a good idea.

Action: OS to set out an outline process for how to go about this, to produce a draft outline, and to look into setting up a wiki.

8. Storing our vehicles and stall materials, etc.

TP thought it was worth spending £15/week on storage space in a garage, as we had the funds and the lack of storage was causing considerable problems.

Action: CW to explore possibilities with a garage. TP to check with Adam Thompson on space at his house.

9. Constitution

TP and OS tabled a new draft of the consultation. All were asked to consider the draft and give comments. GB suggested that there should be a quorum for Management Committee meetings. It was agreed that it was important to include this.

Action: TP and OS to incorporate already suggested changes.

10. Setting the date for the next Annual Meeting

We decided to hold the Annual Meeting on Wednesday the 2nd November, at the regular meeting venue (Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall) and to make it a nice social event, with food and drink. The Annual Meeting needs to be advertised in the London Cyclist magazine.

11. Rides

SO was organising a ride to the Kirkcaldy Testing Museum on Sunday 7th August, with a meeting place in London Fields at 10am. CL suggested promoting this via the new LCC web-site’s events pages. GB suggested promoting it to the ICAG mailing list, too.

There were also other upcoming rides, including one on Open House Week-end on the 18th September, as well as the London Freewheel on the 4th of September.

12. Events

Reports back from this week-end’s many events (Festival of the Bicycle, London Open bike polo tournament, Cycling Portraits exhibition) were postponed as it was close to 10pm.

13. Any other business

There being no other business, the meeting closed at 10pm.

Date of next meeting: Wednesday, 7th September, 2011, 7:30pm.

  Minutes of Hackney LCC meeting 3rd August 2011 in PDF