London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, 3rd July, 2013, 7:30pm

Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall

Present: Katy Andrews, Siobhan Blackshaw (rides co-ordinator), Kate Charteris, Jono Kenyon, Jon Parker, Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Brenda Puech (events co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (secretary, minutes), Chas Wilshere.

Apologies: David Harris (treasurer and local news editor), Richard Lufkin, David Lukes (sustainability officer).

Agenda:

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. Renewal of east-west path (LCN+ Route 8 / Maurice Hope route) in London Fields

3. Mare Street Narroway

4. Brownswood Road crossing

5. Bike Week recap

6. European Mobility Week

7. Annual Meeting in October

8. Dunwich Dynamo catering

9. Burns Night venue

10. Rides

11. Other events

12. Any other business

Action Summary:

Item

Action

Who

June 2013: Morning Lane/Mare Street junction

Take video of the situation to back up our case and to write to the Council with the video. Action carried over.

TP

2. Renewal of east-west path (LCN+ Route 8/Maurice Hope route) in London Fields

Contact Parks with our decision

TP

3. Mare Street Narroway

Organise a stall.

OS/BP

4. Brownswood Road crossing

Write to Andy Cunningham and Cllr Demirci about this junction.

JK

5. Bike Week recap

Ask about storage space for a gazebo in a garage near Mare Street.

JP

5. Bike Week recap

Order flags.

BP

6. European Mobility Week

Send out an e-mail to organise a meeting about Car-free Day locations.

JP

6. European Mobility Week

Discuss Rivington Street options with James from the Dragon Bar.

TP

6. European Mobility Week

Ask Chatsworth Road people whether they’d be interested.

OS

7. Annual Meeting in October

Organise Annual Meeting on the 2nd October.

SB/BP

8. Dunwich Dynamo catering

Organise a meeting of volunteers.

BP

12. AOB: Meeting venue

Resolve meeting venue issues

OS/TP

1. Minutes and matters arising

Report back from Local Groups Forum: TP gave a report back from the Local Group Forum’s discussion on progress with the 2014 local election campaign. Its thrust is to have ideas for every electoral ward in London.

Fire Service: We did not respond to the consultation on the Fire Station closures. We may in the future discuss traffic management issues with the Fire Service directly.

2. Renewal of east-west path (LCN+ Route 8/Maurice Hope route) in London Fields

TP had heard from the Parks Service that they had some funding to renew the east-west path through London Fields as part of the Maurice Hope cycle route (LCN+ link 250 on LCN route 8) and they consulted us on our views about the existing delineation for cycling on this path.

The long-standing policy of this group has been that paths in our parks should almost always be unsegregated. This is because the existence of demarcation tends to promote the mistaken impression that cyclists have priority on the ‘cycling side’, leading to inconsiderate behaviour by some cyclists towards pedestrians who may happen to be standing or walking on that side. We fully supported the recent removal of demarcation from the main path through South Millfields, which has reportedly succeeded in reducing the incidence of inconsiderate cycling.

TP asked the meeting to reconfirm our position on demarcation in general, and on the east-west path in London Fields in particular. After some discussion, the meeting agreed to maintain our general position and to support the removal of demarcation from the east-west path when it is upgraded. We also thought that ‘pedestrian priority, considerate cycling permitted’ signs should be made more prominent and installed at park entrances where they are missing, as we suggested in the evidence we gave during the Living in Hackney Scrutiny Commission’s review of green space in Hackney in 2008.

Action: TP to contact Parks with our view.

3. Mare Street Narroway

Hackney’s new scheme had been in place since the 15th June and had so far worked very well. Car access was limited to service traffic and traffic accessing the two private car parks off the Narroway.

We thought about possible activities around the Narroway, such as having a stall there or potentially holding a Car-Free Day in Amhurst Road. We did not see an immediate urgency for this, however. JP said that there was also the danger that Car-free Day might be perceived as a negative ‘you can’t drive here’ and that it had to be something celebratory.

We decided to set up a joint LCCiH/Hackney Living Streets stall in the near future.

TP mentioned that he had done a story for the on-line London Cyclist newsletter, which was due to come out on the Friday following the meeting.

Action: OS and BP to organise a stall.

4. Brownswood Road crossing

JK presented the case for a crossing of Brownswood Road at Finsbury Park Road. This is at one of the locations in which Brownswood Road is curved (effectively, priority is given to the curved alignment through a staggered junction, making for a very unusual layout). He described the problem of poor lane compliance by drivers and the difficulty of crossing Brownswood Road. We considered possible solutions that would make crossing here easier. JK suggested elephant’s footprints through the junction. We decided to try to come up with a scheme that could work.

Action: JK to write to Andy Cunningham and Cllr Demirci about this junction.

5. Bike Week recap

Hackney Cycling Showcase: KC recapped the day. We were limited in publicising the showcase owing to late permission. The weather was poor but many people had attended, and all the exhibitors came back with very good feedback. OS and SB said that the LCC stall did quite well but should have been put on the main drag instead of on the side path. There was a need to perhaps plan the site better, as Matt Catt’s sound system was initially put next to the LCC stall, and he was then rained out when a downpour started. However, overall it went very well and generated much interest. KC was keen to do the showcase annually. The meeting agreed.

Richard Lufkin suggested a vote of thanks for KC, which was duly recorded.

In this context, we discussed branding for a gazebo of our own. TP had done artwork for a Hackney-specific teardrop-shaped flag. He pointed out that storage was always the main problem. JP said that he would ask an acquaintance whether he would be happy for us to keep a gazebo in his garage off Amhurst Road. BP said that she would order flags. OS reminded the meeting of the old plan to have a garage for the group’s vehicles.

Actions: JP to ask an acquaintance about storage space for a gazebo in his garage. BP to order flags.

Cyclists’ Breakfast: It went well and we had many customers. The weather was again not very good, but we distributed most of the food we had. Thanks to Tower Hamlets Wheelers for great help on the day.

Finsbury Park Festival: We had briefly considered dropping the showcase in favour of supporting the event in Finsbury Park, but decided against it. The festival went well, with 1,000 people attending. Unfortunately, the main race couldn’t take place because of an interloper who disrupted it.

Bike the Bounds: OS reported back that only one person had turned up for the ride, but that it had been very enjoyable, with the rain holding off. It was an unusual but very nice edition.

6. European Mobility Week

We brainstormed about possible locations throughout the meeting, but mainly in this item.

BP suggested Chatsworth Road, around the market. TP suggested Elsdale Street, in support of a possible modal filtering scheme in the area. JK suggested Stoke Newington Church Street. OS thought of Chatsworth Road, as the 22nd September fell on a Sunday (the day of the Chatsworth Road Market). TP had also talked to people around Rivington Street, but thought that on a Sunday it would not be much of a statement. We could do an event there on Friday the 20th September to experiment with the timed closures that the local businesses want.

We weighed up the pros and cons of each location. One thing which has always been very important to us is to have a follow-up outcome, e.g. a traffic scheme, of the Car-free Day.

OS stressed that we could do several events if they didn’t require too much volunteer power.

In the end, we felt that we had too many possible options to reach a decision at this meeting and decided to set up a separate meeting about it. We will have to be quick about it, as it is only two months away.

Actions: JP to send out an e-mail to organise a meeting about it. TP to discuss Rivington Street with James from the Dragon Bar. OS to ask Chatsworth Road people whether they’d be interested.

7. Annual Meeting in October

This will be on the 2nd October. We will have Carlton Reid of bikebiz to speak at the meeting. We discussed venues, e.g. Hackney City Farm or the Russet Café.

Action: SB and BP to organise.

8. Dunwich Dynamo catering

We need a meeting about this.

Action: BP to organise a meeting of volunteers.

9. Burns Night venue

Jo Roach had said that she could ask Sir Thomas Abney School if they would have us back. Other than this, we had a possible venue in the south of the borough. We were waiting to hear back from Jo.

10. Rides

SB and CW reported back from the ride to Markfield Park.

People from Hackney attended the Glamour Ride and won all the prizes.

11. Other events

The LCC AGM in October, combined with a campaigners’ conference, had been announced.

12. Any other business

Meeting venue: We had heard that the hire charge for the meeting venue would increase to £15/hour. We considered this acceptable. A trickier problem was a new interpretation of ‘health and safety’ regulations that bikes would not be permitted in the venue. We decided to contact Hackney Homes to investigate the possibility of defining a specific risk assessment for use of the space that would allow bikes inside. We might consider moving to another venue in case this did not work out. Action: OS and TP to take forward.

The meeting finished at 10pm.

Date of next meeting: 7th August, 2013, 7:30pm.

  Minutes of Hackney LCC meeting 3rd July 2013 in PDF