Hackney LCC meeting 4th July 2012

London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, July 4th, 2012, 7:30pm

Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall

Present: Mohan de Benoit, Siobhan Blackshaw (rides co-ordinator), Andrew Cornwell, Richard King (British Waterways Towpath Ranger), Richard Lewis, Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Brenda Puech (events co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (secretary, minutes).

Apologies: Michael Cordy (treasurer), David Lukes (committee member without portfolio).

Draft agenda:

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. Car-free Day

3. Olympic pit stop events

4. Other events

5. Rides

6. Garage

7. Stamford Road/Hertford Road

8. Crondall Street/New North Road

9. Queensbridge Road narrowing, and potential to treat more consistently

10. On-street residential cycle parking

11. Cycle Hire docking station locations (Phase 3 Batch 3)

12. Lea Bridge schoolhouse cycling events

13. Any other business


1. Minutes and matters arising

We were going to meet Hackney officers about the various outstanding issues along Dalston Lane and specifically a recent scheme proposal between Ridley Road and Dalston Lane.

The Hackney Cycling Conference on the 8th of June had been a success, with around 100 people attending, and there were plans to hold another one next year. TP was preparing the audio recording for publication. There were going to be various follow-ups: Southwark Cyclists Movement for a Liveable London

RL commented that many people had said the food was not vegetarian enough, and we agreed to suggest making catering more inclusive next time.

Bike the Bounds: Three people, including OS (ride leader) and RK, had gone on the ride. RK gave his impressions: Very good weather (sunny and blustery), interesting route, including some new discoveries for him. We had finished with drinks at the Anchor and Hope, as the regular venue at the Princess of Wales was closed for refurbishment.

Cyclists’ Breakfast: SB said it hadn’t been as busy as in previous years, with quite a few croissants left over. The bad weather in the week leading up to it was probably partly to blame. Apart from a hitch with setting up the tables at the beginning, it had been very well planned.

BW/Canal and River Trust leaflet hand-out: RK reported that this event had been disrupted a little by rain, but they’d had a very good session otherwise, including a very good Dr Bike in Digger.

Vision for Hackney: We had submitted our response to the Shoreditch Space and Place Shaping Plan consultation. This was very comprehensive, even though it didn’t go into very much detail, and was effectively the first instalment of the ‘Vision for Hackney’, our ‘Vision for Shoreditch’.

Goldsmith’s Row Book Market: TP hadn’t replied to this yet. We were fully in support of the market.

Green Lanes/Church Street/Collins Road: OS hadn’t submitted our comments yet.

Sustainable Hackney map: TP still has to ask Brian Jones whether he’d like to help with the map.

Loving Dalston media enquiry: We had submitted comments, although the story had already been published.

2. Car-free Day

We talked about possibilities for Car-free Day. This year, the 22nd of September, the traditional date for Car-free Day, falls on a Saturday. Our preference would be for having it on the Cat & Mutton bridge, with an extended Broadway Saturday Market and a diversion of the 394 bus for the day.

MdB had thought of suggesting holding Car-free Day in the section of Goldsmith’s Row between Kay Street and Pritchard’s Road, to complement current ‘no carbon living’ work happening on the adjacent estate. He also suggested street theatre. We thought we might look into this possibility in a future year.

We agreed to liaise with Broadway Market Traders’ and Residents’ Association, to speak to Lock-7, councillors and officers.

Our interest was in demonstrating the viability of a new modal (bus-and-cycle only) filter on the Cat & Mutton Bridge.

Actions: We resolved to pursue a traffic order for Car-free Day. RL noted that owing to the Olympics there might be capacity issues in processing this. We would require a bus diversion for the 394 bus. OS was going to speak to councillors and officers. MdB and TP were going to speak to Haggerston councillors. RL was going to speak to Lock-7 and BMTRA.

3. Olympic pit stop events

The Council were planning to hold a week of pit stop events (one event per day, Monday to Friday, in five locations, a new one every day) around the Olympics. No date had been set yet, but the time would be 5-7pm. We had asked around for volunteers to help, and several had come forward. These would effectively be ‘meeters and greeters’ to welcome new arrivals and help the mechanics focus on the work on the bikes.

The initial idea was to have four volunteers for every night as meeters and greeters, but it was more realistic to have one per event.

Action: BP to speak to Hackney officers and co-ordinate dates and volunteers.

4. Other events

RK with Canal & River Trust was going to be handing out leaflets by the Lea Navigation during the Olympics and to show people around the Middlesex Filter Beds. The meeting referred him to Katy Andrews for further information.

Movement for Liveable London wanted to do a Street Talk excursion to Hackney, which had been set for the 18th of August. This was a follow-up from the Hackney Cycling Conference.

We thought of a possible route roughly as follows: Britannia junction—De Beauvoir—Albion Square—London Fields—Broadway Market. The route was going to be walked and therefore couldn’t be as long as a route that might be cycled.

Action: OS to help co-ordinate and to liaise with Hackney officers and Movement for Liveable London.

5. Rides

SB was planning a ride to the Ongar Steam Railway, but hadn’t found a good route yet. OS volunteered to draw up a route and to send it to her.

Action: OS to send route to SB.

6. Garage

We resolved to rent a garage again. The rate was going to be £15/week, but as we were going to share with two other people, the group would only pay £7.50/week, which would amount to roughly £390 per year. The parking officer at Hackney Homes was keen for us to promote garages. We would store all our stall equipment, tables for cyclists’ breakfasts, and pedal-powered vehicles there.

Action: BP to rent a garage on the group’s behalf.

7. Stamford Road/Hertford Road

TP introduced the scheme proposal for a permeability improvement at this junction. We had already had some comments on the engineering list. Among others, either a full-width hump should replace the cushions north of the junction, with one car parking space to be potentially removed, or more car parking spaces should be removed to improve sightlines, to extend the existing kerb build-out, and to provide a wider dropped kerb.

Action: TP to submit our comments.

8. Crondall Street/New North Road

TP had been pursuing the issue of improving permeability at this location. Hackney officers were going to explore the possibility of buying and demolishing the derelict doctor’s surgery, owned by the Shoreditch Trust, to widen the path for comfortable cycle access. TP had communicated to officers that we were interested in a longer-term change rather than just improving it by the introduction of dropped kerbs in the short term.

Action: TP to follow up.

9. Queensbridge Road narrowing, and potential to treat more consistently

Brian Jones has got in touch about the new footway extension between Middleton Road and Richmond Road, with the carriageway narrowing gradually, which is apparently designed to facilitate car parking. We had also discussed the proposed new docking station locations at the last meeting. We think that Queensbridge Road should have a street-long review, as it is one of the streets in Hackney with the most problematic characteristics.

TP also suggested planning a campaign to promote expanding the 20mph agenda to streets like Queensbridge Road, in line with the Council’s commitment.

Action: TP and OS to contact officers about a possible street-long review.

10. On-street residential cycle parking

We discussed an ongoing project with the Council to facilitate on-street residential bike parking. We were keeping tabs on progress there and needed to speak to officers again.

11. Cycle Hire docking station locations (Phase 3 Batch 3)

Three new potential locations had been proposed and we were going to submit comments.

Lamb Lane: Very good location which we support entirely.

Hertford Road: Could have a high customer base from residents in surrounding flats.

Downham Road: We thought it might be better to locate this east of the junction of Downham Road and De Beauvoir Road, not to the west as currently proposed, as this could create an unpleasant pinch point.

We didn’t know how many out of these were proposed to be implemented and whether we were being asked to express a preference between the Hertford Road and Downham Road locations. We would support all of the proposed locations.

SB asked why these locations were so far away from Kingsland Road. RL suggested a hire station near Kingsland Waste Market.

Action: TP to submit our comments.

12. Lea Bridge schoolhouse cycling events

OS introduced the project. The Clapton Arts Trust had a funding application to turn the old schoolhouse at Lea Bridge into a cultural centre, including a museum about life on the river, and to hold all kinds of other activities there, including cycling events. They were envisaging three main plans:

  1. The schoolhouse could be a starting-point (or a stop en route?) for ‘heritage cycle tours’, or cycle tours to the Olympic Park.

  2. It could be a venue for possible cycle maintenance workshops (or other kinds of workshops).

  3. There could be cycle hire from the schoolhouse, in partnership with Lea Valley Park, to use its ‘gateway to the park’ interpretation.

The meeting was in favour of supporting these proposals.

Action: TP and OS to submit a letter of support.

13. Any other business

Goldsmith’s Row: Following the brilliant scheme between Kay Street and Hackney Road, we talked briefly about future possible work in Goldsmith’s Row. We thought that the present road humps between Kay Street and Whiston Road should be replaced with sinusoidal humps, or that Kay Street should be modally filtered so that they could be removed. A little square could be created at the junction with Kay Street. There were already a number of good frontage uses and potential to further enhance the streetscape.

Path closures on Hackney Marsh: We were concerned about plans to hold three large events on the Marsh per year. At the recent Hackney Week-end, the whole of the Marsh had effectively been closed, including the attractive riverside path along the east side of the Marsh. We thought that this was excessive and unacceptable. In our view, these paths should not be closed at all and events should use less than the full east-west width of the Marsh. We resolved to write to the Right of Way officer and subsequently to the Mayor of Hackney to make strong representations, and to try to contact other stakeholder organisations.

Action: TP to send letters on behalf of the group.

Hackney Ward Forums: OS reminded the meeting of the Ward Forums still to take place from the first round of them. On the 10th of July, the Stoke Newington Ward one was going to take place, and on the 18th of July, it was going to be the turn of Hackney Central, Leabridge, and New River wards.

The meeting closed at 10pm.

Date of next meeting: Wednesday 1st August, 2012, 7:30pm.

   Meetings of Hackney LCC meeting 4th July 2012 in PDF