London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, 4th September, 2013

Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall


Present: Kate Charteris (workshop representative), Marian Farrugia, Dave Harris (treasurer), Jono Kenyon, David Lukes (sustainability officer), Jon Parker, Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Brenda Puech (events co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (secretary, minutes), Chas Wilshere.

Apologies: Siobhan Blackshaw (rides co-ordinator), Richard Lufkin.

Agenda:

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. Consultation on Hackney’s Draft Revised Statement of Community Involvement

3. Report back from Hackney Road Safety Plan consultation

4. Local Elections 2014—development of ward ‘asks’ and borough-wide manifesto

5. Co-opting new members to the committee

6. Burns Night 2014

7. Venue for Annual Meeting (and talk by Carlton Reid)

8. Narroway Car-free Day

9. Rides

10. Other events (incl. TH Wheelers towpath alternatives workshop 19/9/13)

11. Any other business

Action Summary:

Item

Action

Who

June 2013: Morning Lane/Mare Street junction

Take video of the situation to back up our case and to write to the Council with the video. Action carried over.

TP

July 2013: Mare Street Narroway

Organise a stall.

OS/BP

July 2013: Bike Week recap

Ask about storage space for a gazebo in a garage near Mare Street.

JP

1. Minutes and matters arising

Morning Lane/Mare Street junction: Suggest to the Council to include some work on this junction in Hackney’s possible bid for the Hackney Central Triangle major scheme funding.

TP

2. Consultation on Hackney’s Draft Revised Statement of Community Involvement

Consider the draft document.

All

4. Local Elections 2014—development of ward ‘asks’ and borough-wide manifesto

Create a simple five-slide presentation for the Annual Meeting in October.

OS

4. Local Elections 2014—development of ward ‘asks’ and borough-wide manifesto

Contribute to the draft Vision.

All

4. Local Elections 2014—development of ward ‘asks’ and borough-wide manifesto

Prepare the November meeting.

OS, TP

4. Local Elections 2014—development of ward ‘asks’ and borough-wide manifesto

Circulate the updated draft Vision by mid-October.

OS

4. Local Elections 2014—development of ward ‘asks’ and borough-wide manifesto

Edit a draft manifesto for consideration by the November meeting.

TP

6. Burns Night 2014

Visit Fellows Court Estate community hall.

OS, BP, DH

6. Burns Night 2014

Find out hire charge of Stoke Newington School

BP

7. Venue for Annual Meeting (and talk by Carlton Reid)

Look for venues.

TP, OS, BP, DH

8. Narroway Car-free Day

Liaise with Hackney Living Streets.

KC

1. Minutes and matters arising

Morning Lane/Mare Street junction: TP said that he had video of the junction, but that it didn’t show the problem clearly enough yet. He had also experienced that there wasn’t a very good vantage point from which to shoot, unless one went up into a nearby building. He was continuing to work on the issue. KC asked whether there might be a possibility to suggest to the Council to include some work on this junction in Hackney’s likely bid for major scheme funding in case the Narroway/Amhurst Road bus re-routing trial is made permanent. Action: TP to suggest KC’s idea to the Council.

Local Groups Forum: Amy, the LCC’s new activism co-ordinator had written to TP and had expressed an interest in coming to the Annual Meeting.

Workshop venue: KC said that discussions with Hackney City Farm about moving the workshop to the Farm had been positive so far. They were expecting something definitive soon. TP said that there might be a possibility to move the workshop to our storage space on City Road if it had to leave the old venue before a new venue became available.

Dunwich Dynamo catering: BP reported that the net profit from the event was about £1,800, so that we were going to be able to donate £900 to the London Courier Emergency Fund (LCEF).

Space for cycling’ protest ride: DL reported that the turnout to the feeder ride from Hackney had been quite low, around 30 at the start, and a few more later who were picked up en route. The organisers (DL, KC, Richard Lufkin) said they would be happy to run the ride again. KC had been concerned by the lack of LCC marshals at some points, e.g. outside St Thomas’s Hospital. The overall number at the ride appears to have been around 5,000 riders.

Communications Working Group: We set a date for the first meeting of the Communications Working Group to Monday the 9th September, at 7:30pm, .at JK’s house.

2. Consultation on Hackney’s Draft Revised Statement of Community Involvement

This was a consultation on Hackney’s consultation mechanism for planning policy, e.g. Local Development Plan Documents like the forthcoming Supplementary Planning Guidance on cycle parking. We were unsure to what extent this affected our work, as we generally became aware of important documents, but we recognised the importance of wider community engagement.

Action: All to consider the draft document.

3. Report back from Hackney Road Safety Plan consultation

KC reported back from the meeting on this. A lot of statistics were presented at the meeting to establish an evidence base. The number one priority that was identified at the meeting was crashes involving cyclists. The draft Plan was going to go to Cabinet and was then going to be out to public consultation for three months. We resolved to comment on the draft Plan when it was going to be out for consultation.

4. Local Elections 2014—development of ward ‘asks’ and borough-wide manifesto

We were not quite clear yet on the tools that the LCC was likely to supply to local groups for this campaign. There was also the problem of the new ward boundaries in Hackney, which were going to come into effect for this forthcoming election.

OS commented that the campaign template could potentially be very useful if more people got involved in their local ward politics, but that it would still mean a lot of traditional engagement work and wouldn’t work automatically. People would have to stick with what they started.

TP said that we would likely continue with our distinctive policies, e.g. of modal filtering. These area-wide approaches cross ward boundaries.

JP commented that there should be a smaller, more manageable number of ward campaigns instead of trying to get a campaign in each ward.

We decided to look at the manifesto that we produced for the 2010 election and to update it.

OS explained the process that had been going on to produce a ‘Vision for Hackney’. We agreed that we should aim to produce the Vision in time for the elections, with documents such as ‘Top Ten junctions to be improved in Hackney’ to make it more accessible.

JP suggested that we should produce our own timetable for actions around the campaign. All agreed on a three-stage plan:

Three-stage plan:

1. Local consultation and review of the Manifesto

2. November: Manifesto and Vision

3. Vision for Hackney as the starting-point of a structured debate

We decided to create a more detailed timetable at the November meeting.

We resolved to consider the draft manifesto and draft Vision at the November meeting and to come up with decisions on how to improve it. We were also going to make an announcement at the Annual Meeting that the November meeting would be considering the draft Vision. OS agreed to prepare a five-slide presentation for the Annual Meeting.

OS said that it would probably be useful to have an index in the Vision as to which wards locations are in.

Actions: OS to create a simple five-slide presentation for the Annual Meeting in October. All to contribute to the draft Vision. OS and TP to prepare the November meeting. OS to circulate the updated draft Vision by mid-October. TP to edit a draft manifesto for consideration by the November meeting.

5. Co-opting new members to the Committee

JP, JK, MF, CW, and KC were co-opted nem con.

6. Burns Night 2014

BP had applied to Stoke Newington School as a possible Burns Night venue. She was going to find out how high the hire charge would be. We also considered the Fellows Court Estate community hall and resolved to visit it. There was also the Royal Association for Deaf People (RAD) hall near Manor House, in Green Lanes.

Actions: OS, BP and DH to visit Fellows Court Estate. BP to find out hire charge of Stoke Newington School.

7. Venue for Annual Meeting (and talk by Carlton Reid)

KC had checked out the Russet and Hackney City Farm, but both were already booked. We were going to look at other venues.

Action: TP, OS, BP, and DH to look for venues.

8. Narroway Car-free Day

Hackney Living Streets were organising a ‘Car-free Day’ in the Narroway to compile people’s vision for the Narroway.

There had been an opposition meeting organised by traders and Car-free Day was a good opportunity to gather support.

We thought of ways of contributing to the event. KC volunteered to work on the event.

Action: KC to liaise with Hackney Living Streets.

9. Rides

There were no rides planned at the time of the meeting.

10. Other events

Tower Hamlets Wheelers towpath alternatives workshop 19/9/13: TP was going to attend this workshop, held together with the Canal & River Trust to improve cycling route choice around the alignment of the canals in Tower Hamlets.

London’s Calling: OS alerted the meeting to London’s Calling. We decided to ask the organisers about the best time to present a cheque to the LCEF at the event.

Critical Mass: KC mentioned that there would be a ‘Critical Mass’-like event going from Bank to the Arms Fair at the Excel on Sunday.

11. Any other business

Committee Elections at the Annual Meeting in October: TP called for nominations for the committee posts.

Victoria Park Road: We still had to submit our comments to re-state our opposition to the proposed footway contraflow in Victoria Park Road.

The meeting closed at 10:10pm.

Date of next meeting: Wednesday, 2nd October, 2013, 7:30pm.

  Minutes of Hackney LCC meeting 4th September 2013 in PDF