Hackney LCC meeting 5 May 2010

Venue:

Marcon Court Estate Community Hall

Members present:

Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Brenda Puech, Richard Lewis, Melissa Martin, Ben Edmonds (secretary), Siobhan Owens, Rachel Aldred, Michael Cordy (treasurer)

Apologies: Patrick Field

Topics discussed:

1. Matters arising
2. Cycle Superhighways feedback
3. Social Rides
4. Wick Festival
5. Bike Week
6. Annual budget
7. Assets storage
8. Well St and Mare St rat-run
9. Streetscene Liaison meeting
10. Cost of Cars research
11. Dalston Lane, Graham Road and Queensbridge Road
12. Morning Lane / Mare St signal phasing
13. Any other business

1. Matters arising

  • Elections – Thanks for OS for producing manifesto and chasing responses from parties, and to TP for compiling and publishing them
  • HGV working group – TP & Charlie Lloyd to attend next meeting on 10th June
  • Rivington Street – last social ride met there and spoke to business owner about potential for two-way cycling and timed exclusion of motor-traffic
  • Southgate Road collision – TP reported that the cyclist hit by the police car is currently in a coma. Ben to ask John Ackers for ICAG view on what should be done at this junction

Back to the top

2. Cycle Superhighways feedback
We have responded to Rick Andrew’s superhighways funding diversion proposal drawing attention to our existing detailed comments on LCN routes 8 and 9. TP to invite Rick to a meeting to discuss.

Back to the top

3. Social Rides
These take place on the 3rd Wednesday of each month, generally meeting at 6.30pm. Current ideas are:

  • 19th of May ride: BE: to lead with A3 cycling superhighways, Start at Shoreditch Church. BE to produce ride details flyer
  • 16th of June ride: tour around Olympics site including Eastway contraflow. Start at Town Hall, End at ?pub?
  • 21st of July ride: Lea Navigation
  • 18th of August ride: looking at the potential for new route between Shoreditch and Dalston, parallel to the A10

Back to the top

4. Wick Festival
Festival organiser Niki Stevens sent a request for us to participate in this 18th/19th September festival by doing Dr Bikes and organising rides. Paul Standeven and Adam Thompson have apparently expressed interest in doing a Dr Bike. BP to respond with suggestions of how we might be able to help (ride routes, marshalling, etc.).

Back to the top

5. Bike Week
Glamour Ride: date TBC, HC to provide a feeder ride. Breakfast: Wednesday the 23rd of June.

Back to the top

6. Annual budget
Report by MC. Annual LCC grant not received this year (MC chasing this). Burns Night was low earning in relation to effort this year, due to increased costs. Propose to up the prices to £25-30 per person, with a larger gap between full rate and low earners. Proposal to co-fund a joint newsletter with Tower Hamlets Wheelers. Cost of Cars report with New Economics Foundation: BE working to establish £15k funding externally to push forward. Reuse of Car Parking space on Car Free Day – Sept. 2010 : BP to coordinate. MC: to produce proposed budget for 2010/11.

Back to the top

7. Assets storage
The group’s assets include a Brox freight quadricycle, two trailers, including the huge Vitelli trailer and a tricycle with which to haul it, the larger catering equipment, and banners. Much of this is currently stored in the undercroft at RL’s residence. Non-resident visitors coming and going to access these items would not be very welcome with residents. We have for many years needed a centralised location to store these items. BP to enquire with a ‘friendly councillor’ about getting a garage at reduced rate due to the community work we undertake. We can contribute to the rental if necessary.

Back to the top

8. Well St and Mare St rat-run
RL drew attention to the area between Mare Street and Well Street. There is aggressive driving by rat-runners on Chatham Place and Elsdale Street. Would like to see restrictions on through motor traffic in this area. Possible solutions include placing a modal filter (closure to motor traffic) at the junction of Elsdale Street and Well Street, and another at the junction of Morning Lane and Chatham Place. RL will co-ordinate a campaign on this. RA offered assistence with research.

Back to the top

9. Streetscene Liaison meeting
Steve Walker and Andy Cunningham of LB Hackney Streetscene invited TP for a catch-up. They are happy to continue to afford us early access to scheme designs. They also agreed to quarterly liaison meetings. Steve Walker to be our primary contact with Streetscene.

Back to the top

10. Cost of Cars research
BE reported that movement on phase 2 of this project is slow but progressing with the help of a personal contact with funding procurement experience.

Back to the top

11. Dalston Lane, Graham Road and Queensbridge Road
The changes to this junction are now completed. They were driven through primarily for bus priority reasons, but seem to have resulted in higher capacity and speeds for all motor-traffic. Cycle permeability has also been reduced as a result, with access to and from Parkholme Road. RL to put together an analysis of the route from Dalston Junction to Mare Street, focusing on the aspects in which it has increased capacity for private motors and fails to improve matters for bus traffic.

Back to the top

12. Morning Lane / Mare St signal phasing
New traffic light phasing has separate left and straight-on signal phases for southbound traffic at the junction of Mare St and Morning Lane. Split phases like this are inevitably cycle-hostile. TP noted that Doug Auld has written to Streetscene concerning this, and engineers replied defending the scheme. In their response they stated that Hackney LCC had been consulted on the Mare Street scheme. This is not the case, as far as we know. TP to write to Steve Walker asking for a review of this.

Back to the top

13. Any other business
None.

Next meeting
The next meeting will take place on Wednesday 2 June, same venue.