Hackney LCC meeting 5 November 2008

Present: Tim Evans, Sally Haywill, Anna Kidd (secretary) , Richard Lewis, Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator, chair), Brenda Puech (treasurer), Oliver Schick

1. Minutes of the last meeting and matters arising

2. Wishlist for LB Hackney as requested by Cllr Alan Laing

3. High Bridge

4. Police HGV campaign

5. Millfields

6. Cycle training at Tyssen School

7. Olympics update

8. Burns Night

9. Meetings format

10. Cycling in parks and other shared spaces

1. Minutes of the last meeting and matters arising

  • Corrections: surfacing – spelling. Add to attendance list: Oliver Schick, Katie Hanson, David A Smith, Jeremy Hill
  • We commended Alan Laing for the input he gave on the joint LCC/London Councils report on cycling.

Matters arising:

  • We have received an invitation to come and talk about the format of an HGV task force.
  • Humps vs. cushions

2. Wishlist for LB Hackney as requested by Cllr Alan Laing

We discussed a wishlist to send to LB Hackney before the end of the year, as requested by Cllr Laing at the last meeting. Examples of things to raise would be lack of permeability (lack of dropped kerbs, one-way streets), traffic light timings, kerblines, lane widths, poor shared use provision, speed limits, excessive presence of lorries, rat-running, more money for cycle training (STA Bikes running out of funding in January), etc.,

The wishlist should be arranged according to new TfL Transport Topics (or whatever they’re called) and indicate clear priorities and quick wins vs. longer-term.

Action: Draft and mail out an invitation to members to say that the main item on the agenda of the next meeting will be to draw up a wish list (together with mince pies and mulled wine). We should present the meeting/party with a historical record of what has been achieved and which historical wishes are still outstanding. We will have an exercise with a map of Hackney and Post-Its for people to feed in their local knowledge. Brenda to organise the catering.

3. High Bridge

To note that High Bridge should have been removed this month and replaced next month, but has now been postponed until the new year. No complaints have been made about lack of consultation.

Action: No action by HCC

4. Police HGV campaign

Trevor received information from Met police. A 3 week campaign in 6 boroughs during rush hour speaking to lorry drivers and cyclists. Rec from Media affairs officer Hackney police.

BP advised that Hackney borough police’s attention should be drawn to the fact that in a City Police exercise 100% of the lorries stopped had life threatening offences and defects.

What training will the officers have had to advise cyclists. Have they been trained on bikeability issues? What are the risk assessments for doing this exercise. Have the police learnt lessons from previous exercises of this type. Can we assist in any way as experienced cyclists?

Action: Trevor to feed back on issues listed above. City police information to be obtained from Jack Thurston of Resonance FM.

5. Millfields

Tim: User group of the Park wants to put the diagonal path back into full dual use across the park. Ian Rathbone is chair of the user group. Previous monies have come from Street scene. In terms of work old path markings need to be burnt off an new signs indicating pedestrian priority.

Action: Tim to receive examples suitable signs and Tim will put the Park manager in touch with Trevor and put on the agenda for the Millfields Park user group?

6. Cycle training at Tyssen School – postponed.

7. Olympics update

Legacy – Character areas senior consultants was very good. Beyond Green is the consultants

Media Centre street 4 lane street, central reservation, island. Legacy planning application late 2009.

The new bridge to Stratford international has no cycle or pedestrian provision, a new bridge is going to be built alongside there is currently no fixed way of dividing this new bridge between cyclists and pedestrian. Newham Cyclists are favourable to segregated cycling. Oliver has highlighted the need for improved permeability across this currently impermeable part of the Lower Lea Valley. This would be a true legacy of the Olympics. Action: Oliver to report back

8. Burns Night

No food and bar planned due to absence of personnel. Ben is critical. Action BP will find out if Ben and Adrian are available for Burns night. BP will alert group if this becomes a problem. Plan is for everyone to do same roles as last year. Sally has booked piper. Trevor confirms that band is available.

9. Meetings format

An idea: 1 hour of business from 7pm, then talks/ social/ demonstrations programme from 8pm.

Action: Programme of talks needs to be arranged. Brianstorm on the email lists. Discussion of detailed business could be moved to committee meetings and/or email lists.

10. Cycling in parks and other shared spaces

London Fields user group and park mgr in principle in favour as an experiment removing the demarcation. A number of park users want cyclists banned from London Fields. They are currently welcoming signage as a first step to see if this improves matters. Living Streets is taking this up as an issue. London Fields is Metropolitan open land and there are by laws about cyclists.

Action: LCCiH presentation to LBH scrutiny panel on parks, presentated in Jan on cycling in parks to be circulated to Living Streets. BP recommends that LCCiH should be more conspicuous about its recommendation for shared-use signs in all parks. BP will sound out the next Living Streets meeting on whether the long term answer is to consider widening all the paths in London Fields.

Additional action: feedback from the above mentioned scrutiny panel. Feed back from Alan Laing on this issue, mentioned at previous meetings.

AOB

Dalston permeability removal. Trevor has tried to speak to architects JL Gibbons of Highbury, but no response. Will keep chasing.