Hackney LCC meeting 5th June 2013

London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, 5th June, 2013, 7:30pm

Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall

Present: Siobhan Blackshaw (rides co-ordinator), Kate Charteris, Marian Farrugia, David Harris (treasurer and local news editor), Jono Kenyon, Richard Lufkin, David Lukes (sustainability officer), Brenda Puech (events co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (secretary, chair and minutes), Chas Wilshere.

Apologies: Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Barbara Toscani.

Agenda:

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. Hackney Central bus re-routing

3. Marcon Place/Spurstowe Terrace modal filtering

4. European Mobility Week

5. Dunwich Dynamo catering

6. Cyclists’ Breakfast

7. Hackney Cycling Showcase

8. Other events

9. Rides

10. Fire Service

11. Any other business

Action Summary:

Item

Action

Who

June 2013: Morning Lane/Mare Street junction

Take video of the situation to back up our case and to write to the Council with the video. Action carried over.

Trevor Parsons

1. MA: Report back from Local Groups

Trevor was requested to report back from the 9th May Local Groups Forum.

Trevor Parsons

1. MA: Vision for Shoreditch

Circulate document to JK.

OS

4. European Mobility Week

All to think about possible Car-free Day locations.

All

5. Dunwich Dynamo catering

Ride out to Sible Hedingham to inspect hall.

OS, BP

5. Dunwich Dynamo catering

Find some more volunteers.

BP, OS

6. Cyclists’ Breakfast

DH to do shopping, DL to pick up croissants, CW, DH, OS, DL, SB, and RLu to help on the day, all to bring cafetières.

BP, CW, DH, OS, DL, SB, RLu

7. Hackney Cycling Showcase

KC and RLu to keep organising the event.

KC, RLu

7. Hackney Cycling Showcase

OS to ask Trevor about vehicles and to bring along a copy of draft Vision for Shoreditch.

OS

8. Other events

Notify the mailing list of the upcoming socials.

OS

9. Rides

Send a reminder of the ‘Bike the Bounds’ ride.

OS

10. Fire Service

Committee to speak to the Fire Service and to consider submitting a response.

Cttee

11. Any other business: Hackney Cycling Conference

Suggest that materials be made available on-line.

OS

1. Minutes and matters arising

Report back from Local Groups Forum: Trevor was requested to report back from the 9th May Local Groups Forum.

Olympic Park: Trevor had not written to Mayor Pipe as Hackney supported our suggestion for the bye-laws and a trial of nighttime opening of the park was going ahead.

Broadway Market awareness-raising: OS had been unable to co-ordinate an event on the 18th May. We are still hoping to be able to do one in the near future.

2. Hackney Central bus re-routing

We briefly discussed the proposed re-routing of the buses around the ‘Hackney Triangle’ (Mare Street Narroway, Dalston Lane, and Amhurst Road) away from the Narroway. This will facilitate two-way cycling in the Narroway, which we welcome very much, as it has always been one of our top strategic priorities.

The project was currently run as an Experimental Traffic Order, which could be made permanent after six or eighteen months. Hackney officers were hopeful to make it permanent after six months, after which there would also be associated work in redesigning the streets affected. At present, only very minimal changes have been introduced.

We formed a tentative plan to run stalls in the Narroway in the future, as it would attract a large number of cyclists from now on.

For the time being, we were going to be watching the progress of the scheme, which was due to begin on the 15th June, and gather feedback and views about it for later discussion with Hackney officers.

3. Marcon Place/Spurstowe Terrace modal filtering

Jon Parker was not at the meeting, and we did not know whether he had organised a deputation of residents to the Council yet. He had received a reply from Streetscene about the proposal as such, which had advised that they were keen to make the larger project of bus re-routing work first. We will discuss this further at future meetings. The possibility of organising a deputation still exists. On the evening of the meeting, Marcon Place and Spurstowe Terrace were open to through motor traffic again.

4. European Mobility Week

OS reminded the meeting of European Mobility Week in September. We had in the past organised a few successful Car-free Day events and there had been interest in Shoreditch to hold one again. If we were not going to organise a full event, we were at least interested in setting up information stalls.

Action: All to think about possible Car-free Day locations.

5. Dunwich Dynamo catering

BP and OS had begun work on preparing the catering (the Dunwich Dynamo was going to be on the 20th/21st July) together with Patsy Scammell. DH had done an analysis of possible financial risks and concluded that any risk was very low. BP was going to put up advance funding to purchase food etc. SB volunteered. OS had also found another volunteer, Ben Leighton. OS and BP were due to ride out to Sible Hedingham on Sunday the 9th June, as BP had not seen the hall yet.

Actions: OS and BP to ride to Sible Hedingham and to find some more volunteers.

6. Cyclists’ Breakfast

We were going to hold this on the Wednesday in Bike Week, which this year fell on the 19th June. BP was going to co-ordinate it again. SB said that she was unable to do shopping this year, and DH volunteered to do it. CW, DH, OS, DL, SB, and RLu all volunteered to help on the day. DL volunteered to pick up croissants from the bakery. Volunteers were requested to turn up at 6:30am so that we might be fully set up at 7am. BP asked all to bring cafetières if they had them. London Fields Cycles were going to do a Dr Bike session.

Actions: DH to do the shopping, DL to pick up croissants, CW, DH, OS, DL, SB, and RLu to help on the day, all to bring cafetières.

7.Hackney Cycling Showcase

KC and RLu had been working on this, due to take place on the 15th June in London Fields. There had been a good response rate from potential contributors and around 12 contributors had expressed an interest. Permission to hold the event had been obtained from Hackney Council.

We discussed materials for the event. We wanted to order flags. Trevor was going to do the artwork, but it was not clear if these would be ready in time for the event. We did not know at the meeting whether they had been ordered. We agreed to take up the LCC office’s offer of delivering a large amount of material for £108, as we considered this good value for money. SB was going to contact the LCC about keeping marquee stock over the week-end (for the Finsbury Park event and our cyclists’ breakfast).

RLu suggested applying for funding from the Sustrans Clean Air Champions project. We agreed to invite Sustrans to have a stall at the event. RLu said he would follow this up.

KC was going to put out a press release and a call for volunteers.

We were not sure whether a polo demonstration was going to happen. It looked as if beginners’ polo was going to happen, informally, at the London Fields MUGA, in close proximity to the showcase.

We wondered whether we might be able to have any of our vehicles, e.g. our Brox, at the event. OS was going to ask Trevor.

Action: KC and RLu to keep organising the event. OS to ask Trevor about vehicles and to bring along a copy of draft Vision for Shoreditch.

8. Other events

Social events: DL had spoken to a member who could not make meetings but was keen on socials. We resolved to have regular weekly socials (every Thursday) at the Royal Inn on the Park, starting from Thursday the 13th June, 2013.

Action: OS to notify the mailing list.

9. Rides

SB announced a ride to the Markfield Beam Engine in Markfield Park on the 9th June, meeting at 10am in London Fields.

Oliver was going to do the Bike the Bounds ride again, on the 22nd June, meeting at 12pm ourtside Hackney Town Hall. This was going to be the first Hackney Bike the Bounds ride able to go northbound along the Narroway.

Action: OS to send out a reminder of the ride.

10. Fire Service

RLu drew the meeting’s attention to the plan to close Kingsland Fire Station. He expressed concern that increased response times for the Fire Service might have an impact on the chances of obtaining more widespread modal filtering. The meeting did not come to a clear view on this. We resolved to attempt to speak to the Fire Service to gain more knowledge and for the committee to attempt to submit a response to the formal consultation, which was going to end on the 19th June.

Action: Committee to speak to the Fire Service and to consider submitting a response.

11. Any other business

Hackney Cycling Conference: MF asked whether materials from the Hackney Cycling Conference would be made available on-line. OS did not think that this was currently planned. It would be desirable, however, and we would be making this suggestion to Hackney. Action: OS.

Meeting venue: We were notified that there would most likely be a higher cost for the meeting venue, of £15 per evening, up from £10. This was still very low and we considered it acceptable.

The meeting closed at 10pm.

Date of next meeting: Wednesday, 3rd July, 2013, 7:30pm.

   Minutes of Hackney LCC meeting 5th June 2013 in PDF