Hackney LCC meeting 5th October 2011

London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, October 5th, 2011

Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall

Present: Siobhan Blackshaw (joint events co-ordinator), Michael Cordy (treasurer), Stewart Dring, Tim Evans, Patrick Field, Oliver Jeffcott, Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Brenda Puech (joint events co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (secretary, minutes), Chas Wilshere.

Apologies: Gail Bristow.

Agenda

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. Broadway Market shoppers’ survey

3. Hackney Cycling Forum networking evening Wednesday 19th October

4. Newsletter distribution

5. “I Love Hackney Two-Way” campaign & “I Love Hackney Two-Way” badges

6. ’20mph on main streets’ campaign

7. Cycle parking

8. Other events

9. Rides

10. Powerscroft Road

11. Any other business

1. Minutes and matters arising

TP noted that he still had to update the Stoke Newington Two-way web-site.

CW mentioned a garage in his block that might be a possibility. Action: CW to explore.

TE said that the planned Millfields breakfast didn’t happen but that the Millfields User Group were hopeful to hold it a later stage.

TP showed the new newsletter, which included notification of our upcoming officer elections at the Annual Meeting in November.

We noted that the Bike the Bounds ride didn’t happen, as OS was unavailable to lead it. We’ll run it again next year.

SO reported back from the ride to Crossness pumping station, which was successful. Six came along.

We still have to write a letter to the borough commander on the case of the two cycle couriers. Action: BP & OJ.

OS mentioned that he had also nominated the London Open polo tournament for a London Cycling Award, in addition to Goldsmith’s Row and the Britannia crossroads.

The motion decided on at the last meeting had been submitted by TP and had been included in the LCC’s AGM papers.

TP gave some additional explanation about a possible open Cycle Skills Audit data licence. According to an OpenStreetMap volunteer to whom he has spoken, large-scale imports of data to OpenStreetMap are not even particularly welcome, as there appears to be a fear that they could stifle voluntary mapping activity. However, we were still minded to explore the possibility of the data being opened up.

TE went to a meeting at the Millfields Waste Depot about the driving behaviour of their lorry drivers. There is now training provided to drivers, as well as a monitoring system. The contact for complaints is the Borough Head of Operations, Terry Edwards, terry.edwards@hackney.gov.uk. Complainants should send the date, time, vehicle type and/or registration. Electronic logging tells the Council not only speeds, but also locations and excessive braking. They also look out for above-average wear on tyres which is evidence of poor speed behaviour.

2. Broadway Market shoppers’ survey

The survey format was decided on at a meeting attended by BP and OS. BP said that the BMTRA were organising the survey and would get in touch with us if they needed more volunteers.

There was also going to be a walkabout with Council officers.

Action: None at present, although we are continuing with the project of drawing up a Vision for Hackney, which will include a Vision for Broadway Market.

3. Hackney Cycling Forum networking evening Wednesday 19th October

TP updated the meeting on progress with organising this networking evening (6-8pm) at Hackney City Farm. There were still some organisational matters to attend to. We were taking on the catering. TP and OS had worked with Hackney officers on setting up a list of invitations. Invites were going to go out soon.

BP suggested inviting the (legitimate) informal bike traders at Broadway Market.

SD and OJ also expressed an interest in coming along.

OS suggested as an outcome that we establish some sort of communication mechanism following the meeting, e.g. a Hackney Cycling Forum newsletter.

Action: BP and SO to finalise catering arrangements. BP to speak to informal traders. TP to ask the Council about name tags. TP and OS to discuss communications with the Council.

4. Newsletter distribution

TP asked for volunteers to help distribute the new newsletter.

BP suggested a plug for Cycling Club Hackney in the next newsletter.

Action: TP to have 1,000 black-and-white copies of the newsletter printed. BP to hand out newsletters for half an hour this Saturday (8th October) at Broadway Market and Netil Market. TP to send a message to the mailing list to ask for volunteers. A box will hopefully be deposited at London Fields Cycles, with their agreement, from which volunteers can pick up copies. TE volunteered to take copies to A&S Cycles, OJ to Two Wheels Good. If members want to cover other bike shops, they should get in touch with TP.

5. “I Love Hackney Two-Way” campaign & “I Love Hackney Two-Way” badges

We decided to continue our two-way campaign with these new badges, which we hoped would be ready for the networking evening. We also discussed possible spokecards but will reserve these for possible later use.

Action: TP to commission the badges and enquire about the cost.

6. ’20mph on main streets’ campaign

BP asked in what way we would work with Hackney Living Streets on this campaign. She got a lot of signatures of the petition at Car-free Day.

We noted that supporting the campaign was a ‘no change’ position in our long-standing advocacy for 20mph on all streets.

Action: BP to create materials for use in the campaign.

7. Cycle parking

We looked for more suggestions of suitable sites to install cycle parking in the carriageway, but could not come up with any at the meeting.

BP reported that she had attended a talk by Jan Gehl Architects, who advocated making such changes on the cheap, with minimal means, for instance without having to redo drainage. There were very good examples from New York City. OS commented that we had always advocated ‘Ring of Plastic’-style interventions, i.e. to accelerate change by introducing experimental schemes on a low budget to make them permanent later, on the model of the City of London’s very swift introduction of an anti-terrorist security cordon around the City in the mid-90s. Unfortunately, there is little political will in London to progress such interventions as quickly as had been done in NYC recently.

Action: All to think of possible locations for cycle parking in carriageway.

8. Other events

We had no other events planned, but several announcements were made about upcoming events in London.

9. Rides

SO was going to do a ride on Sunday 23rd October, destination TBC.

10. Powerscroft Road

TP met Hackney Council and TfL about two-way treatment for Powerscroft Road. There was discussion about full-width humps, but these would most likely not be possible owing to residents’ objections (houses in Powerscroft Road have shallow foundations and buses travelling over humps make the houses shake). The meeting agreed that cushions would most likely have next to no effect on motor traffic speeds and would reduce the attractiveness of the contraflow. Nonetheless, in view of the limited options, it was important to get the layout of the three sets of cushions right, much as it was difficult to improve their layout. We were continuing to work on this. We also planned to meet the Powerscroft Road Residents’ Association. We would prefer the contraflow to be implemented without a contraflow lane, but agreed that in order to establish the principle of contraflow cycling in Powerscroft Road, it was an acceptable compromise.

One main worry was the lack of direct access to Lower Clapton Road from Powerscroft Road. Most people seemed to use the zebra crossing north of the junction. There was a willingness by officers from TfL and Hackney to provide a straight crossing by introducing a dropped kerb at Clapton Passage. This would represent some progress at a difficult location. We also discussed briefly whether elephant’s footprints might be a possibility here.

11. Any other business

PF had been to a meeting on the Olympic Velopark. There had been a campaign in Hackney against aspects of the racing circuit where it crosses the Lea Navigation into Hackney. He reported that a compromise was close to being reached between the Olympic Park Legacy Company and cycling stakeholders, including the Eastway Users’ Group and British Cycling.

The meeting closed at 9:30pm.

Date of next meeting: Annual Meeting with election of officers on the 3rd November, 2011, 7:30pm.

   Minutes of Hackney LCC meeting 5th October 2011 in PDF