London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012, 7:30pm

Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall

Present: Michael Cordy (treasurer), Marian Farrugia, Richard King (British Waterways Towpath Ranger), David Lukes, Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (secretary, minutes).

Apologies: None.

Agenda:

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. Hackney Cycling Conference 8th June

3. Bike Week

4. Other events

5. Rides

6. A Vision for Hackney

7. Goldsmith’s Row Book Market

8. Rivington Street

9. Cycle Hire scheme locations

10. Black Path in Millfields

11. Two proposals for Victoria Park

12. Green Lanes/Church Street/Collins Road junction re-design

13. Sustainable Hackney map

14. Media enquiry from Loving Dalston

15. Any other business

1. Minutes and matters arising

We noted that the May meeting had been inquorate, so that we considered the minutes of the April meeting.

There was a healthy turnout to the Hackney feeder rides to the LCC’s Big Ride.

We had heard back about our response to the Dalston Lane scheme consultation from Cllr Stops, who commented that it was a small scheme and included some elements which we also supported, including filling in a bus layby. We were critical of some elements of it, such as a modification to the junction with Cecilia Road and new pinch points.

2. Hackney Cycling Conference 8th June

We discussed the forthcoming conference and what we were going to bring to it. TP was going to speak. We were going to have display boards with some of our recent drawings. We approved the likely outlay for the large boards, up to £100 for printing. We were going to be able to use these again. We were also going to record the conference to put them on the web.

There was going to be extra bike parking outside the conference.

3. Bike Week

Bike the Bounds (16th June): Going ahead as planned.

Cyclists’ Breakfast (20th June): Going ahead as planned.

British Waterways leaflet hand-out on the 21st of June: RK reported that BW would be handing out leaflets on the towpath (by Lock 7, at Broadway Market, around 3:30pm-6pm) featuring their new slogan ‘Share the space, drop the pace’. They were hoping to do one of these events per month.

4. Other events

Pedalpalooza: This was taking place across London, including events like a Bike Prom, a fundraiser for the London Bike Kitchen, and others. http://www.pedalpalooza.org.uk/ We were going to promote this on the mailing list.

5. Rides

News about new rides will be posted to the mailing list shortly.

6. A Vision for Hackney

OS updated the meeting about the ongoing work on the Vision for Hackney. OS and TP had been working on the response to the Council’s Shoreditch Space and Place Shaping Plan as part of the Vision. We were going to present some outcomes from this work at the conference.

OS called for more contributors.

7. Goldsmith’s Row Book Market

We had been asked for our opinion of the new book market. It seemed like a very positive addition to the borough. We considered this a very good example of where place-led design can be followed by actual placemaking, i.e. creating attractive activities in a space which was unsuitable for them prior to the redesign. The new design had turned Goldsmith’s Row into a place where people were happy to stay, when before it had only been a conduit for through traffic.

Action: TP to reply to the enquiry.

8. Rivington Street: MC noted that this scheme had happened and was looking really good. There were now tables and chairs outside the Comedy Club.

9. Cycle Hire scheme locations

We considered the possibilities for new Cycle Hire scheme docking station locations. This was Batch 2 of Phase 3. The deadline for responses was the 13th June.

Proposed locations were:

Bush Road/Mare Street: On a wide footway outside the Ashgrove bus depot. We found ourselves in favour of this option.

Victoria Park Road: Installing a docking station at this location could cement in the one-way system. We therefore strongly opposed this possibility. We were going to suggest that along Victoria Park Road, the Lauriston roundabout or the junction with Gascoigne Road would be better locations for docking stations, located at the major landmarks along Victoria Park Road.

Denne Terrace: Again an option on a wide section of footway. We wanted to suggest making it shared use for people to ride up to the docking station. This could be combined with a connection by which to line people up to carry on along Pownall Road. The new splitter islands north and south of the Pownall Road/Queensbridge Road junction could facilitate this, and all that would additionally be required would be light markings, like a semi-’jug handle’ (little access slips normally implemented before and after toucan crossings). We were also going to suggest improving east-west permeability from Regent’s Row to Denne Terrace.

Haggerston Road: This docking point should be closer to the station, or an additional site be added closer to the station, as has in fact been done right next to Hoxton Station. At minimum, there should be signage outside the station.

Queensbridge Road: Various sites proposed were located along or near Queensbridge Road, which we believe needs a street-long review. In the meantime, caution is required with regard to carriageway widths in order not to jeopardise a potential future scheme, with consistent widths, to improve the riding experience along Queensbridge Road. The street-long review should perhaps take priority.

Brownlow Road: Good, close to main street, removing residents’ car parking bays. Docking stations in residential streets can be annoying for residents, however, as their operation can be noisy at night, especially at week-ends.

Belford House: Same worries about Queensbridge Road width as above.

MF additionally raised the point that docking stations shouldn’t be located in areas where people might feel at risk at night.

We also noted that it was very important to get docking station locations right, as planning application required.

Action: TP to submit LCCiH response.

10. Black Path in Millfields

The path through South Millfields has recently had the marks which separated cycling and walking removed. The Millfields user Group were in favour of this change and had been strongly behind it, but there were some dissenting voices locally. We had supported this idea, as we are keen to make paths through parks appear less like roads, and to emphasise that walking takes priority there. We had also explored the possibility of doing this in London Fields, but it is much busier, and the case there is much less clear, so that we haven’t pursued it as any kind of priority.

11. Two proposals for Victoria Park

We had submitted responses to these proposals some time ago, as we had had to defer this item twice.

One proposal was for a footway contraflow cycle track on Victoria Park Road, between the junctions with Harrowgate Road and Wick Road/Eastway, which we opposed, as we wanted the whole area to be returned to two-way operation and would rather not have sticking-plaster solutions which were against this ambition. We had now heard that this scheme was not going to be taken forward, which was good news.

We were in favour of the other short-term scheme, a little permeability restoration, from Clermont Road to Gore Road. This is a staggered turn across Victoria Park Road currently impossible southbound owing to Victoria Park Road being one-way.

12. Green Lanes/Church Street/Collins Road junction re-design

We considered this scheme proposal, which like the previous item had had to be deferred twice. We found ourselves broadly in favour of the proposal, as it would greatly improve the present junction layout. Full filtered permeability in Collins Road away from the junction would have been preferable, but these junctions are in Islington and this was not a possibility.

Key questions were around the likely method of control (traffic light sequence) and in particular what length of time was going to be allocated to cyclists stopped at the Collins Road junction. We wondered whether it was going to be a request facility; we would only support a phase included in the main signal sequence. Also, we wondered whether the toucan crossing across Green Lanes was planned to be a single-phase toucan.

We thought that there should continue to be a straight pedestrian crossing across Church Street. The present proposals suggested realigning it, but we thought that this was undesirable.

An All-Green Pedestrian Phase would certainly be a useful addition to this junction.

We thought it was useful to continue the provision of shared use along the footway on the western side of the junction, north of Collins Road, for better access to the toucan crossing across Green Lanes, and ultimately better access to the park, but we were slightly concerned about footway width on the eastern side. The improved exit from Collins Road should make crossing the junction, to the park or to Church Street, while remaining in the carriageway much more convenient for cyclists, reducing potential conflict.

Notwithstanding these concerns, overall we very much welcomed this approach to the junction.

Action: OS to submit comments.

13. Sustainable Hackney map

James Diamond of the Hackney Environment Network had previously asked for comments on this map.

Action: TP to ask Brian Jones whether he would like to contribute to the Sustainable Hackney map.

14. Loving Dalston media enquiry

David Altheer of Loving Dalston had asked the group for our view on whether a Bow roundabout-style measure (advance start for cyclists) would be appropriate at Dalston junction. We decided to reply that it would not be a good idea, and to show to David our much more comprehensive proposals for roundabouts more comparable to the Bow roundabout, including Lea Bridge roundabout and Old Street roundabout. We also noted that since their implementation, the Bow roundabout measures had come in for some sharp criticism.

Action: TP to reply to David.

15. Any other business

Format of minutes: TP asked that minutes additionally be circulated to the mailing list in plain text form rather than just as a web link to a .pdf file. Action: OS.

Co-optation of new committee member: David Lukes volunteered to join the committee (without portfolio) and his co-optation was approved unanimously.

The meeting closed at 9:40pm.

Date of next meeting: Wednesday, July 4th, 2012, 7:30pm.

  Minutes of Hackney LCC meeting 6th June 2012 in PDF