Hackney LCC meeting 7th August 2013

London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, 7th August, 2013, 7:30pm

Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall


Present: Siobhan Blackshaw (rides co-ordinator), Kate Charteris (workshop representative), Fenn Clark, Marion Farrugia, Dave Harris (treasurer, minutes), Charlie Lloyd, Richard Lufkin, David Lukes (sustainability officer), Gerry Matthews (Tower Hamlets representative), Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Brenda Puech (events co-ordinator), Vincent Stops, Barbara Toscani.

Apologies: Jono Kenyon, Oliver Schick (secretary).

Agenda:

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. Hackney Road Safety Plan 2013-16

3. Permeability proposals

4. Schemes

5. Bishopsgate Goodsyard

6. LCC Local Groups Forum

7. New venues

8. Dunwich Dynamo catering

9. Freecycle weekend

10. Space for cycling

11. Annual Meeting venue

12. Communications

13. Any other business


Action Summary:

Item

Action

Who

June 2013: Morning Lane/Mare Street junction

Take video of the situation to back up our case and to write to the Council with the video. Action carried over.

TP

July 2013: Mare Street Narroway

Organise a stall.

OS/BP

July 2013: Bike Week recap

Ask about storage space for a gazebo in a garage near Mare Street.

JP

2. Hackney Road Safety Plan 2013-16

Attend Hackney Road Safety Plan consultation.

TP

3. Permeability proposals

Members to write to VS to support the Narroway initiative.

All

5. Bishopsgate Goodsyard

Incorporate thoughts on Bishopsgate Goodsyard development in the reply to the consultation.

GM

7. New venues

Consider options for new venues for both workshop and monthly meetings.

All

8. Dunwich Dynamo catering

Determine net profit and arrange for funds transfers following DD catering exercise.

BP

10. Space for cycling

Agree and communicate 2 September protest ride arrangements.

DL

11. Annual Meeting venue

Consider AM venue options.

All

12. Communications

Agree Communications WG membership and TORs.

TP, DL & KC

1. Minutes and matters arising

Morning Lane/Mare Street junction: TP to take video of Morning Lane/Mare St junction. Action carried over.

Mare Street Narroway: OS & BP to organise Narroway stall. Action carried over.

Bike Week recap: JP to research storage space. Action carried over.

2. Hackney Road Safety Plan 2013-16

Invitations had been made to attend consultations on Thursday 15 August. TP planned to attend with other limited participation if interest existed. A general belief was expressed in ensuring that the plan was comprehensive and integrated.

Action: TP to attend plan consultation.

3. Permeability proposals

Retreat Place: The link with proposed filtering in area was noted and a suggestion should be made to avoid use of footpath.

Bradstock Road: fully supported.

The discussion generated wide debate about other Hackney routes and junctions, suggesting scope for a dedicated meeting on the topic, perhaps in the wake of the safety plan. The need to express strong support for the Narroway ‘closure’ trial was noted.

Action: Members to write to VS to support the initiative.

4. Schemes

Eastway: This was caused by the need to replace the bridge but, whilst being broadly welcomed, the link with the abysmal A12 Lea Interchange junction was noted.

Chatsworth Road: This was a scheme still in its infancy.

Leonard Circus: Issues had arisen about the surfacing but the scheme was proceeding.

5. Bishopsgate Goodsyard

VS absented himself throughout this agenda item to avoid compromising his role as Chair of Hackney’s Planning Committee.

TP and GM outlined the principal features of this significant commercial and residential development involving Hackney and Tower Hamlets and impacting on the N/S route 9. In responding to the consultation exercise by 8 August, it was agreed that the following issues should be raised:

  • Enhancement of the N/S route;

  • retention of this route in its entirety during the development;

  • consideration of safety issues, e.g. lorries and materials during development;

  • promotion of an E/W route, currently non-existent.

Action: GM to incorporate these thoughts in the reply to the consultation.

6. LCC Local Groups Forum

TP gave feedback on the following main issues:

  • The space for cycling protest ride on 2 September to coincide with parliamentary debate on cycling;

  • changes in the approach to the printed London Cyclist magazine (to be quarterly with no regular local content section, parallel with on-line developments);

  • recruitment by LCC of a new activism coordinator, Amy, who starts work in September.

7. New venues

Workshop: The use of the community hall in Frampton Park Estate was mooted.

Marcon Court: Members to research and report back on alternatives that addressed issues of cycle parking and cost.

Action: All to consider options for both workshop and monthly meetings.

8. Dunwich Dynamo catering

BP reported on a successful outcome and commitment to assume full responsibility for catering for 2014. It was agreed that:

  • A deadline would be set for claiming reimbursement of travel costs and volunteers’ time before determining net profit,

  • and that 50% of the result would be passed on to the London Courier Emergency Fund (LCEF).

The promotional success of the flags was noted.

Action: BP to determine net profit and arrange for funds transfers.

9. Freecycle weekend

A debrief on improvement opportunities for future years’ events was shared and agreed.

10. Space for cycling

In discussing the 2 September protest ride, it was noted that LCC would only be publicising feeder rides organised by its local groups, due to reports of poor behaviour on some independently organised feeder rides to previous protests. It was agreed that, based on the need to be at Jubilee Gardens by 18.00, a Hackney meeting point or points would be specified and communicated.

Action: DL to agree and communicate arrangements for a feeder ride.

11. Annual Meeting venue

Members were all asked to research and report back on possible venues to accommodate 100 for the 2 September Annual Meeting, taking account of cost, availability and parking.

Action: Annual Meeting venue to be considered.

12. Communications

In response to KC’s proposal to use Facebook as an element of our communications, it was agreed to set up a Communications Working Group to consider and report back on an integrated approach. TP, DL and KC expressed interest in attending such a WG.

Action: Communications WG membership and TORs to be agreed.

13. Any other business

There was none.

Date of next meeting: Wednesday 4th September, 2013, 7:30pm.