London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, 7th July, 2010

Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall

Present: Michael Cordy (treasurer), Ben Edmonds (joint event co-ordinator), Jo Finburgh (Friends of the Earth Hackney), Katie Hanson, Richard Lewis, Charlie Lloyd, Siobhan Owens, Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (minutes)

Apologies: Brenda Puech (joint event co-ordinator), Ralph Smyth

Agenda:

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. Friends of the Earth 40% CO2 reduction by 2020 campaign

3. Modal filtering west of Well Street/east of Elsdale Street

4. Britannia junction scheme

5. Goldsmith’s Row scheme

6. Green Lanes scheme

7. Pre-planning consultation on two new walking and cycling bridges across the River Lea

8. Rivington Street scheme

9. Eastway and Ruckholt Road

10. Social Rides

11. Consultation

12. Tesco planning application update

13. Any other business

1. Minutes and matters arising

The dates of the last and next meetings in the draft minutes are wrong and need to be corrected.

Southgate Road/Northchurch Road: The Cooldown event happened during Bike Week (Thursday 24th June) and TP has been asked to arrange a site meeting with officers. Action: TP

Discussion on Cycle Superhighways: We decided to propose holding a meeting on Cycle Superhighway 1 to Haringey Cyclists and invite Rik Andrew.

Wick Festival: Action carried over as BP was absent.

KH reported that she got leftover contractors’ items removed from the cycle gap at the Well Street/Mare Street junction. The meeting recorded a vote of thanks to her.

Critique of Dalston Lane / Queensbridge Road / Graham Road junction: RL said he was still keen to produce this and would do it.

Anti-bike theft campaign: We reviewed campaign progress, including distribution of yellow anti-theft tags. KH asked about bait bikes and there was some discussion around that.

Well Street/Valentine Road/Terrace Road scheme: KH said that owing to a new bus route, there was increased pressure on this junction. TP explained the scheme and that, while widening the footway, the engineers had agreed to leave enough room for future contraflow cycling arrangements. The meeting decided to ask senior management and the Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods whether and when they would support contraflow cycling in surrounding streets as part of future schemes.

cyclestreets.net system for gathering parking location requests: TP introduced this very good system and moved that we suggest to the Council to use their advanced system in preference to the current method for recording parking requests. All agreed. Action: TP to suggest adoption to Steve Walker.

Olympics Group: SO hadn’t contacted Arnold Ridout yet but is still keen to be involved, time and energy permitting. KH suggested approaching Cllrs Jessica Webb and Chris Kennedy (Wick ward), too. Action: OS to add SO to Olympics Group mailing list and to contact Chris and Jessica.

2. Friends of the Earth 40% CO2 reduction by 2020 campaign

Jo of Friends of the Earth presented their campaign on behalf of the Hackney FoE group. The aim is to get the Council to set a local target for carbon emissions and a Local Carbon Framework. The current Hackney target isn’t ambitious enough. They also wanted the Council to lobby the Government for stricter carbon targets. She said that there had been a very positive response from councillors.

TP explained that the remit of the group wasn’t carbon reduction as such, although a good deal of the group’s work has this as a desirable side effect.

RL questioned which mechanism was envisaged for delivering such a target and explained that without a policy bundle including achievable sub-targets it would not be realistic.

There was some discussion about which aspects of this work the group would be most interested in.

The meeting decided unanimously to support the campaign.

3. Modal filtering west of Well Street/east of Elsdale Street

RL and KH described the rat-running problem in the area and suggested campaigning for a modal filter at the junction of Elsdale Street and Well Street. He explained that benefits would include motor traffic evaporation, e.g. on Richmond Road. The junction of Churchwell Path, Chatham Place and Morning Lane was also mentioned in this context as in need of improvement. TP suggested producing a map and attractive handout to explain the problem. We agreed to consider as a wider area the cell bordered by Morning Lane, Well Street and Mare Street as a pilot for a filtered permeability campaign at ‘neighbourhood’ level.

Actions: RL to produce ‘newsletter-style’ text explaining and introducing the idea, as well as a draft proposal for locations of modal filters. BE to produce A3 map of the area. To be considered again at the next meeting if these items are available.

4. Britannia junction scheme

TP presented this scheme to the meeting. It has a long history and we were delighted to see these proposals coming forward. The meeting noted the persistence and effort required on behalf of officers to push this scheme. We resolved unanimously to support this scheme.

5. Goldsmith’s Row scheme

TP introduced this scheme, which would see the experimental introduction of a modal filter at the southern end of Goldsmith’s Row. We unanimously welcomed this scheme and resolved to support an additional modal filter just south of the Goldsmith’s Row/Kay Street junction (to allow access to the park gate for park staff), and also a slight realignment at the southern end to ensure that a future alignment into Ion Square Gardens is possible.

6. Green Lanes scheme

As part of the Olympic Walking and Cycling Route, LB Hackney are consulting on this scheme at the Queen’s Drive/Green Lanes junction. TP explained the scheme and the meeting noted it with approval.

7. Pre-planning consultation on two new walking and cycling bridges across the River Lea

We studied the drawings and found that cycling access to these bridges would be difficult owing to steps in the main approach ramp. We decided to question the reason for these steps, given that they would effectively force cyclists to use the adjacent accessibly-graded route. This was probably to include flat sections between sets of steps for the benefit of pedestrians. We also noted that a response would be required from the LCC’s Olympics Working Group.

8. Rivington Street scheme

TP introduced this scheme, which is being taken forward as part of complementary measures for the Cycle Hire scheme. The meeting welcomed this scheme. We resolved to ask the officers to include ‘No entry except cycles’ signage as soon as possible, and a ‘no motor vehicles’ sign in the interim.

9. Eastway and Ruckholt Road

We were contacted by Katherine Gillett from Leyton, who reports that conditions at this location are currently very bad. We will investigate further and a site meeting may be set up by LB Hackney’s Olympic liaison officer.

10. Social Rides

We discussed proposals for future social rides. We decided that we wouldn’t badge them too heavily around work that we do (although opportunities to talk about that would inevitably come up during rides). It was also felt that a different location for starting rides was required. Most were in favour of the breakfast location in London Fields (where cycle routes 8 and 9 meet).

Action: BE to organise and lead next social ride on Wednesday the 21st of July, to go up the River Lea and end up at the Hope and Anchor pub in Upper Clapton.

11. Consultation

We discussed possible arrangements for consulting members about traffic schemes. As time was running out and it was getting late, we agreed to take this item again at the next meeting.

12. Tesco planning application update

KH had left the meeting before this item was taken, as she is a member of Hackney’s Planning Committee. OS gave a quick summary of progress on this application, which has been deferred twice now—first at Planning Committee on the 9th June, and then was taken off the agenda shortly before the meeting on the 29th June.

13. Any other business

There was no other business and the meeting closed at 10:30pm

Date of next meeting: Wednesday 4th August, 2010.

Minutes of Hackney LCC meeting 7th July 2010 in PDF