London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, March 7th, 2012, 7:30pm

Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall

Present: David Altheer, Siobhan Blackshaw (rides co-ordinator), Alex Cooper, Jenni Gwiazdowski, Charlie Lloyd, Saadat Mir, Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Brenda Puech (events co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (secretary, minutes), Jane Willdigg.

Apologies: Michael Cordy (treasurer), Tim Evans.

Agenda:

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. ‘Love London Go Dutch’ champions & feeder ride

3. Dalston Eastern Curve

4. Spring Ceilidh

5. Cycling Conference in June

6. Other events

7. Rides

8. Broadway Market

9. Traffic light removal in Curtain Road and Holywell Lane

10. Policy on proposed new East London river crossings

11. Any other business

1. Minutes and matters arising

The Hackney Green Map on transport has been published by Sustainable Hackney.

We hadn’t heard anything further on the Women’s Institute’s proposed resolution on cycle helmets.

The second Cycling in Hackney Networking evening attracted fewer people than the first one, but was a good success. The catering may be too expensive for us to sustain in the longer term. JG suggested doing the catering as a potluck. We were keen to attract more people to the events, from more different groups.

There was going to be a reconnaissance ride of the Regent’s and Grand Union Canals on the Friday after the meeting.

We had taken steps to discuss the change in lane width allocation in Dalston Lane with Hackney officers.

We decided to defer discussing the Kingsland Road/Old Street traffic order exemption until the next meeting.

We decided to write to the GLA North-east London constituency candidates of the four main parties to invite them to attend our next meeting. Action: OS.

2. ‘Love London Go Dutch’ champions & feeder ride

JW had become a ‘Love London, Go Dutch’ champion and asked for assistance in gathering signatures for the ‘Love London, Go Dutch’ petition. She was going to devote a day or so to promoting it, perhaps during the period from the 26th March, when the campaign will intensify.

We also discussed possible feeder rides to the Big Ride on Saturday the 28th of April. We’ll organise two feeder rides.

Actions: JW to choose dates when she will be able to do an event. She will also seek to distribute the electronic petition. JG to organise a feeder ride from the Britannia crossroads. JW and BP to organise a feeder ride from the Town Hall.

3. Dalston Eastern Curve

DA introduced the plans for a cycling and walking route along the line of the former Eastern Curve of the Broad Street to Hackney connection. The meeting welcomed these plans. The Area Action Plan for Dalston has just been published and is available at the CLR James Library.

We were keen to look carefully at the design of the proposed bridge across the railway to the proposed new ‘Market Square’.

4. Spring Ceilidh

We had only just heard today that our planned venue, Southwold School, had become unavailable at short notice. We may have to go for another date.

Action: BP to explore possible alternative dates and venues.

5. Cycling Conference in June

We called for volunteers to get involved with the ‘Hackney: London’s Cycling Borough’ Conference. We will meet Hackney officers soon to further discuss the format.

6. Other events

Bike Week: We will hold the traditional cyclists’ breakfast on Wednesday 20th June and Bike the Bounds on Saturday the 16th June.

Pedalpalooza: JG reported that there were plans to hold a ‘de-centralised’ events portfolio modelled on what happens in Vancouver. There was no date yet.

7. Rides

The last ride to the Thames Barrier took place under exceptionally wet circumstances, so that numbers were down from last time. Still, the ride made it all the way and the intrepid four had a good time.

There’s no date for the next one, but it might be around Easter.

8. Broadway Market

We discussed the incidence of footway cycling during the roadworks in Broadway Market and possible action on it. We decided not to do a spot of leafleting right now, but we might resume this when the roadworks move to the northern part of the street.

9. Traffic light removal in Curtain Road and Holywell Lane

The meeting congratulated BP for leading on this campaign. She had made strong connections with local businesses and will meet some of them to discuss a better future for Curtain Road, including the ‘Phase II’ of improvements to the Shoreditch Triangle for which we have been waiting since the Triangle was originally made two-way in 2002/3.

The next action was against the proposed removal of a toucan crossing at the junction of Curtain Road and Holywell Lane.

Action: TP to submit the group’s objection to the Curtain Road/Holywell Lane crossing removal.

10. Policy on proposed new East London river crossings

TP had submitted comments on behalf of the group outlining our long-standing policy of objection to any increases in motor traffic capacity, which the proposed new road tunnel would achieve.

11. Any other business

Claire Tansley: Several members of the group went up to the Epping Forest Burial Park for the funeral of Claire Tansley, a former stalwart of the campaign who had tragically died at the age of 41 years. It was a very moving ceremony.

HGV Working Group: TP and CL have been attending this group, which has already achieved much, including the Safer Urban Driving course. At the last meeting, the Principal Road Safety Officer had suggested extending the remit of the group to include other types of fatal or serious injury collisions, with which CL and TP had agreed on behalf of the group. The meeting agreed with that decision. The Principal Road Safety Officer would also like to have focus groups of pedestrians and cyclists.

‘Watch out for me’ road safety campaign: Hackney has just launched this new campaign.

The meeting closed at 10:25pm.

Date of next meeting; Wednesday, April 4th, 2012, 7:30pm.

   Minutes of Hackney LCC meeting 7th March 2012 in PDF