London Cycling Campaign in Hackney

Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, 7th September, 2011

Marcon Court and Aspland Estates Community Hall

Present: Charlie Lloyd, Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Brenda Puech (joint events co-ordinator), Oliver Schick (secretary, minutes), Gerhard Weiss.

Apologies: Gail Bristow, Michael Cordy (treasurer), Tim Evans, Siobhan Blackshaw (joint events co-ordinator).

Agenda

1. Minutes and matters arising

2. Lea Valley matters

Campsite plans

Lea Bridge Road

Black Path

3. Broadway Market shoppers’ survey

4. European Mobility Week

5. Other events

Blackfriars

Annual Meeting in November

6. Rides

7. Couriers’ court case

8. London Cycling Awards

9. LCC AGM Nominations and Motions

10. Report from Hackney Cycling Forum

11. Any other business

1. Minutes and matters arising

We noted that the Millfields breakfast would take place in the last week of September.

TP has still to update the Stoke Newington Two-way web-site and to speak to Adam Thompson about vehicle storage.

TP noted that he didn’t include notification of our Annual Meeting in the borough news text for the next edition of the magazine, so that we will include a magazine insert. Owing to the change in format, it will have to be an A4 sheet folded to make an A5 booklet.

2. Lea Valley matters

GW updated the group on a number of matters about the wider Lea Bridge area, in light of a current consultation on a scoping document for an Area Action Plan for Lea Bridge.

Campsite plans

The meeting noted that the Lea Valley Regional Park Authority, in reply to a query by Wick councillor Chris Kennedy, stated it is committed to keeping the public right of way through the current Pitch and Putt Golf Course open during the Olympics while the golf course is used as a temporary campsite. They also said that they were reviewing the Waterworks Centre. However, Katy Andrews has sent a conflicting report outlining continuing concerns about a worsening of routes in the area. There are also still other questions about what is happening, e.g. about whether fencing is due to be put up, and we should continue to monitor it.

Lea Bridge Road

We discussed the Lea Bridge Road and LB Waltham Forest’s plans concerning this. There is currently a proposal to build a new bridge to cross the Sustrans route to widen space available for pedestrians and cyclists. GW suggested co-ordinating the response from Waltham Forest Cyclists and the LCC in Hackney.

Black Path

GW reported that the Black Path was very neglected on the Waltham Forest side. It is also mentioned in the AAP. We started to discuss the issues concerning the path but realised that there was too much to discuss and decided to hold a separate meeting.

Actions: GW and OS to co-ordinate a separate meeting on these issues.

3. Broadway Market shoppers’ survey

BP said that there would be a meeting with the Broadway Market Traders and Residents Association to work out a suitable questionnaire and to set up the survey. The aim is to gather data on shoppers’ profile during the week, too, as opposed to just on market days. A previous survey in 2009 had included a transport question and had shown that 82.5% of customers on market days had come from E8 and surrounding postcodes, with 61.6% on foot, 14.3% by bike, 9.6% by bus, 5.6% by train, and 6.2% coming by private car. It will be very interesting to see how this differs during the week, if at all. The findings might be crucial in gathering local support for a possible bus-and-cycle-only gate on the Cat and Mutton bridge, one of our main campaigning objectives in the area.

4. European Mobility Week

Car-free Day: This will take place in Ashwin Street, E8, on Thursday 22nd September, and will see local organisations working in partnership with the Council. The Arcola Theatre, Cafe Oto, the local church, and the Dalston Eastern Curve Garden are on board.

Action: OS to set up a stall at the event and looking for other volunteers to help.

Bike the Bounds: OS will lead the Bike the Bounds ride on Sunday 25th September, meeting at 12 noon outside Hackney Town Hall, as it didn’t happen in Bike Week.

Action: OS to publicise the ride on the mailing list.

5. Other events

Blackfriars: CL reported that there would be a rides programme around the Blackfriars campaign in the second week of October. Climate Rush, as part of their ‘Suffragettes’ campaign, are also planning a ride connected with it.

Annual Meeting in November: We confirmed that we were still on track to organise the meeting as previously planned.

6. Rides

The meeting noted the next social ride to Crossness Pumping Station, led by Siobhan. This will take place on Sunday 18th September, meeting at 10am at the Lamb Lane entrance to London Fields, and a second meeting point on the Greenway next to the Temple of Sewage (Abbey Mills Pumping Station), near Stratford, at10:45am. The approximate ride distance will be 30 miles.

7. Couriers’ court case

BP expressed concern that despite the ‘not guilty’ verdict returned at Bow Magistrates’ Court on the couriers, no action had been taken against the taxi driver whom she witnessed swerving dangerously against the cyclists. BP is keen to pursue this and asked for backing from the local group. The meeting congratulated Brenda on her role in the court case.

Actions: CL to give BP’s written comments to selected contacts with influence over these matters. LCC in Hackney to write a letter to the borough commander.

8. London Cycling Awards

We have nominated the Goldsmith’s Row and Britannia junction projects for the London Cycling Awards.

Action: OS to communicate this to Steve Walker and to encourage them to also enter nominations.

9. LCC AGM Nominations and Motions

The deadline for motions is 5pm on 15th September. The meeting decided to submit the following motion to the AGM.

Given the wide range of opinions within the membership concerning the proposed name change, including strong opposition, the London Cycling Campaign should defer consideration of whether or not to change the name until after the 2012 Mayoral election. Any debate on the issue conducted thereafter should ensure the full participation of the membership, and should include a variety of options, including the existing name.”

Actions: TP to submit the motion on behalf of the group and to speak to other groups who have passed similar resolutions to ours whether they would like to co-sponsor this motion.

10. Report from Hackney Cycling Forum

TP attended the Hackney Cycling Forum which he attended today. There will be a networking evening for everybody promoting cycling in Hackney, on Wednesday 19th October, 6-8pm. We decided to budget for some catering for the event.

The Lorry driver Vulnerable Road User training module has been accredited by the Joint Approvals for Periodic Training. This is very good news, as this was holding up the training of Hackney’s own service fleet. Aside from a cycle trainer, a qualified HGV trainer has to be involved in all of these sessions, and trainees will be given headsets to communicate with the trainer on the road. The meeting congratulated those pushing for this on their efforts.

The Cycle Skills Audit carried out by Transport Initiatives has now been completed. TP proposed asking LB Hackney whether it might be possible to make the licence for this data open so that it can be used in open application.

Ladi Ajayi, Hackney Council’s Sports and Physical Development Officer, is very keen on family cycle rides.

11. Any other business

There being no other business, the meeting closed at 10:30pm.

Date of next meeting: Wednesday, 5th October, 2011, 7:30pm.

  Minutes of Hackney LCC meeting 7th September 2011 in PDF