Venue: Marcon Court Estate Community Hall

Members present: Mike Calderbank, Marian Farrugia (joint publicity co-ordinator), Jeremy Hill, Simon Hughes, Trevor Parsons (co-ordinator), Marianne Promberger (joint publicity co-ordinator), Brenda Puech (treasurer), Oliver Schick (council liaison co-ordinator, minutes), Chas Wilshere, Nicola Wissbrock, Deb.

Topics discussed:

1. Matters arising

2. Hackney Healthy Living and Safe Parks Forum

3. Adam’s trip to Rome

4. Stoke Newington gyratory

5. British Waterways Awareness Days

6. Tour de France

7. Bike Week

8. Communications stuff

9. Rise in cycling

10. Cycle-safe/cycle-friendly pubs/public buildings

11. Cycle liaison

12. Any other business

1. Matters arising

Broadway Market update

We briefly discussed the first stage of the Broadway Market series of schemes. Work is soon beginning to lay down a new surface. Further schemes will follow.

Eastway update:

Campaigning goes on to reverse the decision to downgrade the plans for the post-Olympic legacy Eastway Cycle Circuit. It was noted that our donation of GBP250 to the victorious Daniel Cadden case was money well spent.

Action: It was decided to donate £250 to the Eastway Users’ Group legal fund to support their campaign. OS to forward the money to the EUG.

Brox/trailer: An update was given on efforts to restore the trailer’s couplability following its theft and loss of the coupling. Parts will be ordered from Vitelli in Switzerland.

Garages for bikes: BP has pursued the issue and was told by a Hackney officer that if she applied for a garage she would be able to store bikes in it. She hasn’t heard back.

Action: BP to chase up.

Pram sheds/Hackney Homes: TP still has to do presentation to the ALMO Board on this action carried over from the last meeting.

Olympic routes: Richard Lewis, TP, and Hackney Transportation officer Alix Stredwick investigated a route from Finsbury Park to the Olympic zone that had been suggested by LCCiH member David A Smith.

Homeless Project: MF and SH to take forward a joint bid for funding between LCCiH? and St Mungo’s, the charity for the homeless. The project will involve cycle training for five homeless women from a women’s project in Stoke Newington and training for two project workers in maintaining bikes. They are in the process of submitting a funding application.

Action: It was agreed to include a cost of GBP15/hour for volunteer time in the funding bid to go to the group to facilitate development of further such initiatives.

Injured cycling police officer: BP to find out about how he is?action carried over from last meeting.

New banners: BP and TP to take on this action. Action decided at the last meeting.

2. Hackney Healthy Living and Safe Parks Forum

LCCiH member Mike Calderbank of the Hackney Parks Forum presented a funding bid for ?4.8k to organise eight Healthy Living in Safer Parks events on eight consecutive week-ends in eight different parks (Springfield, Millfields, Daubeney Green, part of Hackney Marshes, Haggerston, Hackney Downs, Clissold, Shoreditch). He’s keen to have cycling activities on these occasions. This will not clash with Bikes in Parks later this year?Mike has talked to Sally Haywill and Tim Evans.

Criteria were developed for identifying cycle trainers to hire for the events?they should be local, be able to deliver continuous provision, and be cost effective. Other criteria may be identified in due course. Mike was keen to see the events go ahead even if the application was unsuccessful and sought volunteers. Nicola suggested focusing the events on families with children.

The dates are: 9th/10th June; 16th/17th June; 23rd/24th June; 30th June/1st July; 7th/8th July; 14th/15th July; 21st/22nd July; and 28th/29th July.

Action: MC to e-mail the LCCiH? mailing list with announcements, a call for volunteers, and reports.

3. Adam’s trip to Rome

Workshop stalwart Adam Thompson is going to Rome to a conference of bike recycling groups from all over Europe.

Action: It was agreed to grant Adam £50 to contribute towards expenses.

4. Stoke Newington gyratory

Jenny Jones’ campaign to expedite action to return this anachronism to two-way operation was noted. TP had heard that a presentation on this was on the agenda of the meeting of the Stoke Newington ward branch of the Labour party on the 7th June.

Actions: JH, who lives in the ward, volunteered to address the meeting. OS to brief JH beforehand. TP to compose 200-word piece for the London Cyclist magazine.

5. British Waterways Awareness Days

Four Awareness Days will be taking place in the coming three weeks (in the period 14th-24th May).Friday 4/5/07 will see the launch of British Waterways’ ‘Two Tings’ campaign towards courtesy and mutual respect on the towpath. The aim is to legitimise discreet bell-ringing to warn pedestrians of cyclists’ approach. The session takes place 7:30am-9:30am, with a photocall scheduled for 9am.

Actions: All to attend launch/awareness days if they can. MF to check extent of stall stock with Richard Lewis and to pick up new stall stock from the LCC office if necessary, to enable us to distribute publicity at the events.

6. Tour de France

It was noted that Richard Lewis would be organising our ride to the Tour de France. He will prepare a leaflet similar to the very successful one he made for the ride to the Climate Change march last year.

Actions: TP to seek update from Richard on progress. Publicity to be developed for Gazette. Leaflets to be designed and printed,

7. Bike Week

We discussed our Bike Week events:

Publicity: Need to design a leaflet.

Bike the Bounds: Saturday 16th June, 12:30pm, Hackney Town Hall steps. Lead: OS

Pit Stop: Monday 18th June, 5-7pm. For northbound cyclists at the junction of A10/St Peter’s Way. This won’t be a ‘pure’ Pit Stop – there will be some Dr Biking going on. LBH will suspend some car parking bays in St Peter’s Way to make way for four workstands. We will suggest to LBH to leaflet neighbouring properties so residents can bring unused bikes to be looked at. Lead: TP.

Cyclists’ breakfast: Wednesday 20th June, London Fields, 7-10am. Tried and tested formula. Lead: BP and Ben Webster.

TreeWheel? (Tree Musketeers): Sunday 24th June. A glorious finale to Bike Week.

Lead: Tim Evans.

There will be no architecture ride.

We will buy a new gazebo (the old one looks tatty) and two new banners (see above).

8. Communications stuff

Actions: MF and TP to create leaflet on events and new leaflet to introduce the group, like Richard’s effort last year that probably only needs slight updating. We will start a T-Shirt design competition. We will also need to look into TdF? publicity. We agreed to run off a small number (20) of simple T-shirts, in different sizes, for easier identification of activists during the summer’s events, ahead of the design competition. TP to design a simple ‘Hackney Cyclists’ plus LCC logo plus contact details shirt, like old LCC shirts (which have the old office phone number on them).

9. Rise in cycling

It was noted that no separate cycle counts were being carried out in Hackney. There has apparently been a 6% increase in cycling London-wide and a 5% increase in theft. TP reported from the theft liaison meetings that the police were interested in removing cycle stands from theft hotspots. It was reported that there were disagreements between the police and the local authority. The biggest theft hotspot was Hoxton/Shoreditch. It was felt that setting absolute targets was ineffective and that it was essential to set detection rates as targets. More and better quality theft reporting should also be a target.

Action: We decided to encourage the Council to commission regular counts through the BSP process. The BSP should reach its final draft around June/July. TP to write to Inspector Harrington of Hackney police with the above points.

10. Cycle-safe/cycle-friendly pubs/public buildings

TP has spoken to Cllt Christopher MacShane?, who suggested developing a package for licensed premises and other public buildings with advice on how to make them cycle-friendly and how to minimise the risk of theft.

11. Cycle liaison

We briefly discussed LBH Traffic’s programme for the financial year ahead. There were early soundings that it would not be possible to return Valentine Road to two-way operation as part of LCN+ link 250 (route 8), as expected in the CRISP report. We briefly discussed signage with a view to raising this at our next liaison meeting. NW stressed that she was keener to see clear and visible general signage than cycle-specific signs. It was noted that we should seek information on when the Paul Street and Wilson Street route would be programmed for a return to full two-way operation. BP reported that a recently implemented improvement was a change at a previously problematic junction of Lamb Lane, giving priority to the LCN+ route.

12. Any other business

None was raised.

Next meeting: Wednesday 6th June, 7.30pm, Marcon Court Estate Community Hall, E8